Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 12:29   #31

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

Ty, you're a "young pup" at 60....and retiring!!! Congratulations...got you by 5 yrs and not retiring for 1.5 more years, so good for you...I bought my current "go anywhere boat" 4 yrs ago and been sailing, fixing, learning about her since with plans to do Marion-Bermuda in 2021...everything is manual from anchor to sails to winches, altho furling is a beautiful thing...So assuming all of your body parts function & no terminal illness other than old age, you should be good for another 10-20...look up Jeanne Socrates, 76yo, she just completed her 3rd solo, non-stop, unassisted, circumnavigation...as mentioned earlier, get out sailing/crewing/learning...you've got many yrs ahead of you to sail.. and I would recommend 35 ish feet....just saying...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:31   #32

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Im 74 now. Retired and bought a boat at 71. Must admit, sorry sailors, since I no longer sail (too much work and I’m too lazy) My wife and I run a 64’ Grand Banks MY.

So it’s never too late until it’s too late.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 13:25   #33

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 13:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?
This has to be your number 1 priority. You need to know that she will join you before spending years and big bucks. There are a few billion dollars worth of boats for sale on yacht world because this factor the spouse didn't fully buy into the cruising dream.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:06   #35

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Mate, I'm very close to 64, I got into sailing at 60, although I have been around or under the sea most of my life. I have spent a lot of time fixing an older boat up, Covid slowed us down, today, the sailmaker is coming past to discuss new sails ( just a tad excited!!). I have a mate who is a qualified yachtmaster, so I crew with him on yacht deliveries. My partner would prefer a house, but she is happy to go cruising. Mate, let me tell you, "Everybody Dies....Not Everybody Lives" Go for it!!
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:13   #36

I had as much fun on my 30 footer as any. Simple and easy. Slower, but that's the most downside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:19   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

It depends on the individual, yes it is to late for some and not to late for others. But this applies to all individuals at any age ,some can do it some cant.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:36   #38

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
tydickinson - 60 is a great age! Find your local Power Squadron and take every class they offer now! They are excellent and my wife felt much more confident from them. And follow a couple Utubers, I am sure there must be some around age 60. And read all the threads here that appeal to you.
We went from a 35' cat to a 40" cat and while very spacious, is more boat than we need. There is no way I would want a 45' cat. I suggest you look at a Gemini, then make friends with some cat owners and offer to crew as needed. Or charter the smallest cat you can for just the 2 of you.

Ms J-37 has given you some powerful advice - follow it!
Exactly, a 37-38 cat is all the cat you need.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:58   #39

Boat: 2009 Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Spending many years in the medical field, I would agree age and health are individual. If a person has the physical strengths, balance and mental agility to recall, and make sound judgements, what should stop you! You are more apt to shorten your life by surrendering to age than living life fully!
Care2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:12   #40

Boat: Tartan 3000

Get yourself something bigger than the 26 ASAP. 45 is too big. 30 to 34 and start learning about the systems etc. Can't imagine you ever needing a 45.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:42   #41

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

My wife and I are in our early 70's and started cruising 4 years ago on a 45 monohull. We couldn't be happier with our decision.
We went from a 23' to a 34' for about 5 years each and while we learned plenty going to the 34' we were fairly comfortable going to the 45 after being boatless for about 15 years. You really shouldn't skip the middle stage. You will probably have a problem getting insurance without some experience in between also.
We are really happy with our choice of a 45 because it is less like camping, has a better ride, plenty of solar, watermaker,, and A/C.
We only waited so long because we had to sell our business and the recession scared a lot of buyers. Get started as soon as you can as the time will fly by.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:06   #42

Boat: Morgan 34

Go for it. There is a lot of good advice in the preceding posts, read them often. I am 70. I started "living the dream" two years ago, although I started preparing for it; mentally, educationally, with occasional experience etc, 8 years prior to that. Gee, I must have been about 60 then... I've done the ICW, I've sailed offshore, I've cruised the Bahamas. If I can do it you can. It just comes down to how much you want to do it. Oh, and I have no regrets or plans to sell my boat.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:15   #43

Boat: Pearson 323

When you are looking up at the dirt
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 20:33   #44

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Yep, i'm 82, and sail [cruise] a 38 ft., 15 ton, Gaff rigged Ketch.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 20:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?
I'm late to this, haven't read most of the other posts.

It's already been mentioned that your wife should be an equal partner in this project from day one.

Only thing I'd add is that any sailing is good sailing. It's great to have that dream, but you should approach the goal in steps, and every step should be fun and rewarding in itself. Suggestions:
  • you should have a boat now, like a 30', and sail & cruise it as much as possible
  • look into taking one of those Caribbean liveaboard courses with your wife. You'll be ticking many boxes at once: courses, larger boat or a cat, and getting a good taste of the experience
  • try to meet other cruising couples with more experience. Maybe they'll invite you to cruise with them, or you can go with them on a charter
You may find that you progress quickly, and so you can head out sooner. If you can hold on to the goal, AND enjoy every step of getting there... win-win.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote