Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 09:55   #16

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

Answer: when you are dead or you just moved into a nursing home not by choice!

Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:58   #17

If your health is good you are fine. Buy something now though and start cruising locally. See how much you really want to. By 70 it's going to get a lot harder for most.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:49   #18

Agree with ArmyDaveNY. We donít quit playing because we get old....we get old because we quit playing. Iím turning 69 in a couple of weeks and last year spent 5 months diving and spearing the invasive lionfish in Curacao and plan to return there this winter. My dream is to buy a cat and sail the Caribbean to reefs where there are no or few divers controlling the lionfish population. My wife just says ďIíll miss youĒ so Iím still working on a different response.
Tomoonifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:04   #19

Yes, the clock is ticking! Go-go-go! My husband, a lifelong sailor, always put sailing on the back burner, though he gave his son the gift of sailing and he is a naval architect. I met my husband late, but I became a lover of sailing and we shared that dream, going from Precision 18, then a Precision 21, and finally in 2015 our dream boat,. J37. Then he was diagnosed with Parkinson's and soon after a Parkinson's-like ailment far more severe and aggressive. My husband had never missed a day of work to sickness. We enjoyed our J37 for two years, but we're unable to take the dream to the level we intended, as he dies this past February. All of our parents lived healthily well into their 90s. You just never know.
Get going. Don't wait. Do it now. Learn as you go. Good luck!
Ms J-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:12   #20

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Do like the Pardey used to say: Go small, go now.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:15   #21

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I am 72 now, bought my 60' cat 10yrs ago after 30 yrs on monos, enjoying it all...go for it
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:17   #22

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

tydickinson - 60 is a great age! Find your local Power Squadron and take every class they offer now! They are excellent and my wife felt much more confident from them. And follow a couple Utubers, I am sure there must be some around age 60. And read all the threads here that appeal to you.
We went from a 35' cat to a 40" cat and while very spacious, is more boat than we need. There is no way I would want a 45' cat. I suggest you look at a Gemini, then make friends with some cat owners and offer to crew as needed. Or charter the smallest cat you can for just the 2 of you.

Ms J-37 has given you some powerful advice - follow it!
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:28   #23

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Captain Wannabe:

Years ago my girlfriend and I were anchored in March Harbor, Bahamas. We look at each other and said what are those old farts doing out here? They were anchored out also and it took them about 10 minutes to climb down into their dinghy.

They sort of had the last laugh: Got chatting with them at dinner as we sat at the next table. He was in his early 80s, she was in her 70s. BOTH had health issues which would have stopped many....but not them.

PS: The name of their boat, about a 40' monohull, was Last Hurrah.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:31   #24

Thumbs up Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

Iím 83, though not doing passages anymore, I get out in the ocean 2-3 times a week for about 4 hours. I have a 30í monohull and sail single handed. Stop dreaming and do it.
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:32   #25

I began cruising again (did 7 years full time at age 30 , W32) then racing an ultralite for a dozen years, again at age 50 on a Morgan 36T 6 months year until I was 54, then on a C.C, 41, 6 months of the year until I was 62 when my wife quit. I would have been ok for maybe 10 more years. When my wife was no longer willing I sailed alone on a 25' down south and on a 27 footer up north in the summer. I could still do it now on a modern 30 - 33 footer at age 76. I am healthy and have been sailing big boats for 46 years.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:49   #26

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
I wonder, why would you chose a 45 foot cat for an older couple? That's a HUGE boat for two people! Both in terms of maintenance, financials, learning curve, and high loads that make things hard to handle in an emergency.

This is not at all intended as cat bashing, it's just I see a lot of people without sailing background buying cats simply because they look more like a house. For a lot of people a cat is the perfect boat, for a lot of people it is not.

Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd like to add that if one can maybe afford a cat in 5-10 more years of working then why not quit right now and fo cruising with the money you do have and actually be able to be a bit looser with the budget with a much more affordable monohull?

The smaller you go the easier the boat will be to handle short and single-handed. I see so many struggling newbies with way more boat than their skills and sometimes even strength can handle. Sure there are power this and power that but $$$$ for both initial purchase and maintenance.

Go small go now. Use the extra money you save for luxuries on shore now and again. Also, learn to anchor out mostly. I can't believe the money many cruisers throw at transient dockage on an nearly daily basis -also something that goes way up with larger footage and often even more again for multi-hulls.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:51   #27

I had been planning for my entire adult life to go sailing when I retire. Then all of a sudden I turned around and realized that I am 67 and time is ticking. I am looking for a boat now. A monohull in the 35 to 40' range to keep dockage, etc. manageable. Everything gets a lot more expensive over 40'.

Go for it. You are not too old. Talk to anyone at the end of life and you will find most regret what they did not do, not what they did do. cheers.
drrossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:04   #28

Thank you for your thoughts. I guess the 45' I mentioned was just an estimate. I will need to charter and sail various boats before knowing what will be right for us. The smaller the boat, the less cost and maintenence for sure!
tydickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:07   #29

I have to say, there are so many supportive and helpful people on this forum! I truly appreciate your perspectives! I am greatly encouraged by what so many of you have accomplished and are still doing. Thank you
tydickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:21   #30

Boat: American 14.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
... I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years.
Take a week-long course in coastal cruising where you get to live on the boat. This will get you moving down the learning curve a lot quicker. And it won't take take several years. Later you can take a course in passage-making. It's all hands-on...trial by fire...but you are there just for that reason. Excellent classroom.

Then buy a "fine for now" boat and start practicing. Don't wait until you feel like you have the knowledge, confidence, and experience to handle your big "forever" boat, because you may never get to leave the dock if you do.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I took a live-aboard coastal cruising course for a week on a 42' monohull (I could have done it on a catamaran) back in March, now I'm looking for my "fine for now" boat so I can get off the dock and go sailing.

I turn 58 this week. When I finally get to retire (probably at 65), I want to be ready to cast off the lines and go.

Good luck and happy sailing!

RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote