Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 01:38   #16

Re: What would you chosse: newer but smaller or older and cheaper?

Agree with Sojourner. If the older cat had a major refit at some point and the 90s one had none it's a no brainer. Otherwise it's too use specific to be able to advise not knowing OP's goals, cruising plans, etc. As I am in "as small as one is comfortable with and as large as one can afford" camp everything being equal (and it rarely is) I'd personally go with the 38 footer.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 03:59   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Buy what best suits your needs.

Assuming you can afford the purchase and outfitting and/or upgrading, 6’ is a considerable difference. If you don’t need it, go smaller.

Good luck,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:32   #18

Boat: Boatless

The 44, no question :-)

See, wasn’t that easy!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:39   #19

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post

See, wasn’t that easy!
I wish it was that simple for us! :-) I'll be sure to check with you before we ever pull the trigger after we sell ours!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What would you chosse: newer but smaller or older and cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post

See, wasn’t that easy!
Always is if youve got the dosh.. but a budget makes life more complicated for those who have not..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:56   #21

This like the boat question of the ages. We have an older cat we will be putting on the market soon with some trepidation. It is built in the late 70s bu has now been almost completely restored. It is heavier and slower, does not have the width or height of the newer boats, but the hull is thick and strong and all glass.

I don't want to start one of those " how much hull do you need" things but there is comfort in a hull that sturdy if one might occasional find hidden treasures under water.

Despite the somewhat hilarious interpretation of what a double berth is, the aft berths are suitable only for two hormonal teenagers needing total contact. We are going to a newer boat only for the additional width that increases berth size so other couples can travel with us on occasion. We are being very careful to avoid anything that is not solid glass below the waterline. I know, it is never a problem unless there is a leak, which to me means there is always a problem.

I have been warned off a variety of brand named boats of newer construction due to materials used, techniques for lightening, etc., that didn't pan out well.

So as others have said: Bigger is more comfortable unless you may have to single hand. Newer or older, maintenance can be an issue depending on care and updates. Costs go up for each foot.

I go for sturdy and recognize that whatever I buy there will be surprises and hope they are within my means to fix.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:01   #22

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I wish it was that simple for us! :-) I'll be sure to check with you before we ever pull the trigger after we sell ours!
Here to serve ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:45   #23

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We would also chose the newer vessel.

I have had a lot of experience with sailing clubs, and bare boat charter outfits, and have been very discouraged with older vessels and their obvious, and not so obvious problems.

How many people will be on your 38. How many people in your in crew or family . Also, as mentioned boat and sail handling , manuevering in close quarters, and more available slips and moorings for smaller vs larger vessels, could be a consideration.

Do you plan on sailing, or using it as a motor boat ? What we see with most catamarans, they are doing the later, even with their sails up and plenty of wind they are motoring on auto pilot. Or, they are bare poles in 15 to 20 mph winds, and motoring. Of course that is your choice.

Seems like the 44 will have a higher fuel consumption as well. Plus being older, more costs will be a regular program. You will become well acquainted with your local marine supply store, and local boat maintenance company personnel.

Regardless, we suggest that you thoroughly inspect the vessel , in person, and if necessary have a very knowledgeable friend or acquaintance do the inspection with you, and of course sail it on a decent sea trial, and have it surveyed.

Again, that is up to the individual buyer .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:24   #24

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I agree with the previous comments regarding design evolution, but in my opinion, the other factor is that ages of the two options you're describing really doesn't readily lend itself to the 'newer' vs. 'older' simplification you're looking for. In reality, both are old boats now, especially in the catamaran world.

Even a late '90's boat is 20 years old now, so either in need of a significant refit or almost ready for it's second one depending on it's history and build quality. An 80's boat is just one cycle ahead of it (or on the same depending numerous factors).

I think you're well into territory where the specific boat model (build quality and sailing performance) and the maintenance history of the specific boats you're looking at ARE the determining factors and generalities don't really have much application.

Good luck shopping!
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 14:36   #25

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would choose newer but smaller. Older is only cheaper when you buy it--then you have to fix all of the stuff that needs fixing--and replace all of the things that need replacement--and it takes time and costs money--

And then, when you have fixed everything and replaced stuff--there is the extra costs of maintaining a larger vessel such as berthage and hull maintenance of a larger area in the water.

Most of my friends who sailed smaller vessels seemed to do more sailing. They always seemed to be going somewhere or returning from somewhere--and a lot of those I knew with larger vessels seemed to spend a lot of time in port.

Larger is more comfortable though--but you DO have to pay for it.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:49   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I would normally choose smaller, but given the choice between the Casamance 44 and Athena 38 I would have to pick the Casamance as I think it was a better design.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 17:01   #27

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

You cannot judge a sailing vessel, even a cat, only by its age and size. Among many other things you need to include the age/condition of systems and components. Then you can start dealing with the more subjective considerations....
Old 26-03-2018, 18:38   #28

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Keep looking. Go for newer and cheaper.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 20:09   #29

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Am looking at buying a boat which was built back in the eighties and had a very good reputation, being an off shoot of cray (lobster) boats that plied our West Australian waters - which can be quite challenging.
With a thick, well laid hull and full keel, again - very good for our conditions with following swells, these boats have stood the test of time.
My concern with newer boats, when they are ' kit built' so some times you can't get to electrical wiring, you need to chop half the top off to get the motors out, or are full of computers which aren't good and never will be in salty conditions, is the constant ongoing maintenance which you seem to have with these more modern vessels.
Also we have found, that a lot of American imports, which are built for your rivers and lakes, don't have the hull thickness to take our serious sea buffeting!
This boat has twin Cats, so easy to get parts, exposed wiring, easy to get to, a thick hull with no Osmosis so to me, when all interior upgrades which can be done by tradesmen who are not 'precious' - as they only work on boats, is a good way to go.
It may not look like some of the latest 'Italian Fantastics' with windows and lines which defy Navel Architecture - but at least I know it will get me back when the weather suddenly changes.
It is a Northshore 37

Cheers
Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 06:45   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Appreciate all these answers very much. Will take into serioius consideration all the suggestions and hopefully find my way. Of couse will have a better idea only when i'll be able to see both boats.
Thanks again.
cheers
riki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap