Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 15:51   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: What size bolt cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The use of Bolt Cutters has been mentioned as very difficult.

A good visual demonstration of that is seen in the Yachting Monthly "Crash Test Boat" video below.

Skip to 7:15 in the video to see the bolt cutters in use and alternatives.

https://youtu.be/d-jqwkNXMIY
Those are Felco cutters he is using - incorrectly though. You should place one arm on the solid deck and put pressure on the upper arm. If the wire is large sit on the upper arm facing backwards. The diagram of their use is embossed on the side of the Felco cutter. With both arms up as he starts to try to use them it is very hard to cut wire of any size.

I use Felco cutters to cut stainless wire on a regular basis - we sell stainless and galvanized wire. They work well when used correctly on a stable surface as do the other cutters we use for chain up to 3/8". On the deck of a moving dis-masted boat I think I would sooner try an electric grinder like a Dremel or a hydraulic wire cutter.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 16:26   #32

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
BTW, bolt cutters dont work worth a crap on wire rigging...thats not what they are designed to do. They are designed to break, not cut, bolts. Get cable shears instead.
+1

Tried to use our cable cutter (good brand but forget which) on our old standing rigging recently.

Useless. Unlike bolt cutters where you have good mechanical advantage.

Cutting with a hacksaw and a decent blade works a treat. But only if you can support the wire. Not possible if trying to cutaway rigging.

Cordless dewalt angle grinder with a cutting disk works best.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 16:40   #33

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

From that video.

The Hack Saw worked very well and most every cruiser usually has one of those aboard.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:21   #34

Boat: Casacde 36

get a proper wire cutter, with one blade having a little divot in it, to stop the wire from sliding out as you try to cut. Don't want to find this out under duress. Size for your biggest wire
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:47   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Focusing so much on the tool isn't half of the equation. As, like gybing kite, or launching flares, if you're out of practice, or have never done it, then good results are a lot harder to come by. Take out your gear & practice. Especially those who aren't good with tools, have less steady nerves, or are physically weaker. The confidence & experience gained really helps lot. And such gained experiences & traits are "cross transferable". So practicing emergency drills helps, regardless of whether or not you ever need to do such things in anger.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 21:15   #36

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Your 24" bolt cutters will work fine on the turnbuckles, and rod rigging, and fairly well on taught wire, but will suck on wire that is not under a fair amount of tension.
Old 24-11-2016, 03:25   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

What do riggers use to cut wire shrouds? It seems like they would know the best tool for the job.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 04:45   #38

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Having been stood next to someone on dry land who lost their thumb when using an angle grinder I'm not sure it's the best plan to be using one on a wet boat in a storm when you're stressed.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 04:52   #39

What about this ones. HWC 9-16 WIRE CUTTER | Clamp Products Auckland New Zealand
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:58   #40

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You said emergency use so there is no substitute for some testing. As others have wisely noted you do not want power cords on deck in bad conditions nor to rely on a battery in the wet. That eliminates the cheap angle grinder that is great in routine maintenance. The easy test is get a sample of your largest rig wire/cable and try some of the options. I would use a loose piece because wire under tension is always easier to cut. I would also rule out anything that requires bracing one handle on a flat surface as one might not be available when you need it. Pick something easy for you to use because when it hits the fan you will not be at your best. Good luck and if you do some experimenting publish your results.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:21   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Even when I was young and strong found that the FELCO cutters took a lot of effort to cut through 9/32" cable. Bought some appropriate sized pipe, ovalled it with a hammer to to fit over and extend the handles. Way way better but still not as easy as cutting warm butter with a hot knife.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:26   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerencarlsen View Post
Not the same brand, but similar to what I have aboard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerencarlsen View Post
Not the same brand, but similar to what I have aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The use of Bolt Cutters has been mentioned as very difficult.

A good visual demonstration of that is seen in the Yachting Monthly "Crash Test Boat" video below.

Skip to 7:15 in the video to see the bolt cutters in use and alternatives.

https://youtu.be/d-jqwkNXMIY
Good test. I wanna work with those guys! [emoji41]

Too bad they did not test bolt cutters, but everything they did test worked. Cable shears required the most effort. Hacksaw was tedious, but worked (Ive got a couple aboard...great utilitarian low tech tool). The nail gun charge fired device would worry me...sitting around for years in a marine environment waiting for an unlikely event...and the charges could get damp). The hydraulic cutter seems like a fine solution and worked easily. It also could have other uses. My standing rigging is past due for replacement so I may look for a good pair. Use for that project and then stow vaccum sealed with an oil rag for emergency use.

Rigging on a cat, even my little cat, is quite a bit beefier and rerigging will give me a chance to test...if nothing else I can chop up some of the old rigging as a test.
Old 24-11-2016, 15:11   #44

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Too bad they did not test bolt cutters, but everything they did test worked. Cable shears required the most effort. Hacksaw was tedious, but worked (Ive got a couple aboard...great utilitarian low tech tool). The nail gun charge fired device would worry me...sitting around for years in a marine environment waiting for an unlikely event...and the charges could get damp). The hydraulic cutter seems like a fine solution and worked easily. It also could have other uses. My standing rigging is past due for replacement so I may look for a good pair. Use for that project and then stow vaccum sealed with an oil rag for emergency use.

Rigging on a cat, even my little cat, is quite a bit beefier and rerigging will give me a chance to test...if nothing else I can chop up some of the old rigging as a test.
The thought about the charges for the charge fired device getting damp is an interesting one.
I would caution against vacuum sealing them, or anything hydraulic. As you could quite easily destroy their inherent sealing & waterproofness. Ditto on any seals in a hydraulic unit.
The vacuum pressure will tend to pull open any seals in the charges, much as it would try to do to seals on hydraulics.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:15   #45

Good point on vaccum sealing hydraulics. Maybe just remove dead space from bag and seal w no vaccum drawn.

Tags
cutter, size