Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 05:12   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: What size bolt cutters

I used a battery operated Dremmel with a cutting wheel to replace my standing rigging. It cut 3/8 cable like butter.
Old 23-11-2016, 07:40   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We had to use a cordless angle grinder in an emergency, even if it weren't for the batteries sucking , for some reason even though they'd been on charge they died when we needed them them the most. , the units just don't like being doused with salt water.
There are inexpensive hydraulic cutters available cheap enough on amazon.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:58   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt, Samoa, 47

If you have wire of more than 10mm most people will struggle with mechanical wire shears, I bought some top quality hydraulic ones of Ebay for £20! They are around £1,000 new but I am sure the Chinese must be knocking off cheap copies now. A six year old could cut 12mm wire with them, and that do not need a battery, but my second choice would be a battery or mains powered angle grinder.

Andy on Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Ridgid 14238 S42 Bolt Cutter

44 inch over all.

Cuts 11/16 metal

Rigging is hard to cut, so you need the most leverage you can get.
This right here. How strong are you? The ones you buy may have jaws that open enough to cut rigging but are you strong enough to do it? Buy the largest you can store. Remember if your down to cutting rigging away, your most likely wet, scared, cold, everything becomes more difficult, strength wains.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I think it was Olin Stephens who carried a wooden wedge cut with a 20° angle. Cotter pins should be 50% longer than the diameter of the clevis pin they serve and then the two legs of the cotter pin spread 20°, hence the wooden wedge.

Cotter pins that are too long can snag and rip things like skin...Wrapping the legs of a too-long cotter pin just make the cotter pin more difficult to remove.

A pair of needle nose pliers and a good whack with your hand should be all that is required to pull a cotter pin.

If I am making up some standing rigging, I use a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut the rigging cable. The Dremel makes a nice clean cut.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:10   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

To show my ignorance again. Bolt cutters are made ridged applications i.e. bolts or chain. I feel sure there are manual cutters made for cable. Probably double mandrels with the blade coming down between them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:51   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

I suggest to look at Baudat ratchet cable cutters as a mechanical option. Several models according to cable size.
Old 23-11-2016, 11:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I suggest to look at Baudat ratchet cable cutters as a mechanical option. Several models according to cable size.
I believe you answered the question. All of the battery powered ideas may be good but not in a pinch to get rid of rigging.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:39   #24

Boat: Cal-40

Mine are about one meter (3 feet) long. These are big enough to cut any stainless rigging or chain on my vessel even if I'm forced to enter the water and cut over the side.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 13:13   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I have 44" bolt cutters and a Norseman hydraulic cutter. Both cut 12mm rigging easily enough whilst the Norsemans will also slice through 18mm without much effort. That's the largest size I have tried - reality in an emergency is another question.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:14   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Interesting looking tools but they dont give ratings for stainless wire...any experience using them on stainless?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:20   #27

A cheap harbor freight 4" / 4.5" angle grinder with a .0625 width metal cutting wheel will cut anything on your boat. I use one all the time when I do metal projects.
The cheap model from there has lasted me over 10 years. Last job I did required 3 hours of cutting and grinding. I cut 2.5" X .5" hot rolled steel bar. The group 31 AGM battery attached to a 3 KW modified sine inverter was still
producing 115 VAC when the job was done.
Those little angle grinders are very voltage tolerant and only require around 600 W when loaded cutting or grinding. They idle along at 2-300W
I use them to open gates that are locked because the hardened lock, chain or cable is no match for the cutting wheel.
This is the handiest metal cutting tool I own, and the inverter/battery makes it totally portable.
Forget the battery angle grinder. They are very expensive and the battery is always DEAD when you need it.
It is messy, I try to always use a welding apron and eye protection.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:27   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The use of Bolt Cutters has been mentioned as very difficult.

A good visual demonstration of that is seen in the Yachting Monthly "Crash Test Boat" video below.

Skip to 7:15 in the video to see the bolt cutters in use and alternatives.

https://youtu.be/d-jqwkNXMIY
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:52   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
A cheap harbor freight 4" / 4.5" angle grinder with a .0625 width metal cutting wheel will cut anything on your boat. I use one all the time when I do metal projects.
The cheap model from there has lasted me over 10 years. Last job I did required 3 hours of cutting and grinding. I cut 2.5" X .5" hot rolled steel bar. The group 31 AGM battery attached to a 3 KW modified sine inverter was still
producing 115 VAC when the job was done.
Those little angle grinders are very voltage tolerant and only require around 600 W when loaded cutting or grinding. They idle along at 2-300W
I use them to open gates that are locked because the hardened lock, chain or cable is no match for the cutting wheel.
This is the handiest metal cutting tool I own, and the inverter/battery makes it totally portable.
Forget the battery angle grinder. They are very expensive and the battery is always DEAD when you need it.
It is messy, I try to always use a welding apron and eye protection.
Mate, this discussion is relative to emergency situations, ones where the mast is over the side and requires jettisoning ASAP. Conditions that result in dismasting are often characterized by big sea states, and water on deck, spray everywhere and a boat that is jumping about unpredictably.

This is a really bad time to be fetching out your long extension cord and angle grinder, hooking it up to the inverter and then operating the unsealed 120 or 240 volt grinder whilst soaked in salt water.

Jim
Old 23-11-2016, 15:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, this discussion is relative to emergency situations, ones where the mast is over the side and requires jettisoning ASAP. Conditions that result in dismasting are often characterized by big sea states, and water on deck, spray everywhere and a boat that is jumping about unpredictably.

This is a really bad time to be fetching out your long extension cord and angle grinder, hooking it up to the inverter and then operating the unsealed 120 or 240 volt grinder whilst soaked in salt water.

Jim

Tags
cutter, size