Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2008, 12:26   #16
cruiser

Or not-I sailed across the Pacific via the scenic route without 99% of the stuff listed above, and I don't think it was any hardship to do so.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 04:34   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Big Cat, are you honestly saying that you sailed with one set of sails and NO sail tape, sail cloth, twine, thread, batten material, spare line for any of your running rigging, caulking, fuel and oil filters, impellers, wire, heat shrink connectors, clevis pins, cotter pins, bolts, screws, machine screws, blocks, hose clamps, hose, head servicing kits, and light bulbs? Let me see, you can pick one that you did carry and you still haven't eliminated anywhere near 99% of the items listed. Are you really suggesting to somebody who is planning to circumnavigate in a used cat that it would be wise to carry zero spares?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 12:24   #18
cruiser

Brad, I was thinking more of the big ticket items, but I did indeed sail without most of your stuff, too. I had a large but easily handled rig with no standing rigging, if the engine didn't work, I sailed, and I used kerosene more than electricity for lighting. Even when the engine worked, I normally did all maneuvering under sail.

My point is that one shouldn't confuse luxuries with necessities, and also that one should rely on low-tech approaches, because they are more reliable. I made my voyage in the 70s, when a lot of this high-tech stuff didn't exist, and I laugh when people consider them necessities. Read Eric Hiscock's text books, and you will see where I am coming from.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 12:28   #19

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Of course he doesn't. But there is a trade off. Lighter, faster, more amenable to loosing a sail and arriving later. Other things can be life threatening, water maker to cover slower trip, ad carry a manual spare to load less on departure. Fishing kit to widen range and diet. Sextant and instruction mamual, it'll only take a day to learn? Paper charts. Forget chart plotters as essential, useful when tired but not reliable when wet. KISS. If its simple it's less likely to fail. If you can keep going without it then you really didn't need it. It's a different approach. I'd rather be with you though! Powdered food, urgh. Candles 'cos the electrics failed? There are limits.
Old 19-05-2008, 14:12   #20

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You'll need an SSB, Pactor modem and laptop to keep in touch with family, friends, and fellow cruisers.
If you want to keep in touch with family, friends, and fellow cruisers, you'll need an SSB, Pactor modem and laptop. If, on the other hand, you have no desire to keep in touch with them, or there is no one for you to keep in touch with, you don't need any of them.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote