Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 04:53   #166

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: What is the Smallest Multihull You Can Take Blue Water Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
There is 12 inches to the left to check alternator, the fuel pump and water pump have even more room. And this is for my Volvo D1-30 hp engines.
This engine room is better and roomier than any other boat I have seen under 40 feet. Most engine rooms are a box around the engine with sound proofing with just a few inchs at most around the engine.

How many engine rooms have enough room to hold your bikes.
You could have a party in there compared to my Gemini,

Even 3 inches each side of my motor would be such a benefit,
Working on my drive shaft or gear box or Back of the engine, I have to stand on my head, and hang down through the hatch cover, Same with diesel filters, There in there too,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:48   #167

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

i hear that there is a couple cruising down the Caribbean on a Hobie Cat
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 07:58   #168
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:

My engine rooms are bigger. at 42" x 8 feet, they're about as big as I've seen, short of the monster engine rooms in South African catamarans (St. Francis, Wildcat) which is surprising as my boat is a lot smaller than the Mahe.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:28   #169

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Pictures Please?

I do not know which Catalac you have, but this 30 foot Catalac Catamaran engine room looks pretty tight to me. I see just inches in front of it. Looks like all the room is on the back end shaft area. Very tight on the sides also. Hay, if it works for you it’s all good. Every boat is a compromise.

Here is one that just sold on yachtworld.

1978 Catalac 9 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalac Catamaran engine.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	41098  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:36   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Pictures Please?

I do not know which Catalac you have, but this 30 foot Catalac Catamaran engine room looks pretty tight to me. I see just inches in front of it. Looks like all the room is on the back end shaft area. Very tight on the sides also. Hay, if it works for you it’s all good. Every boat is a compromise.

Here is one that just sold on yachtworld.
The Catalac 8M has twice the cockpit of the 9M and twice the engine room. Both boats have the same hulls, the 9M has a larger and better cabin layout, while the 8M has a larger cockpit.

Richard Woods had one of his 38' Transits next to us at one point and he begrudgingly conceded the 8M cockpit was larger than the one on his 38' boat.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:15   #171

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
There is 12 inches to the left to check alternator, the fuel pump and water pump have even more room. And this is for my Volvo D1-30 hp engines.
This engine room is better and roomier than any other boat I have seen under 40 feet. Most engine rooms are a box around the engine with sound proofing with just a few inchs at most around the engine.

That is the cleanest engine room I have ever seen.
Old 16-05-2012, 14:34   #172

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl

Here is a link to a vid you may be interested in. At around the 5:30 mark the guy makes a very interesting point about light verses heavy boats. It changed my mind somewhat about the trade offs between the two.

I don't think I agree with his point that light boats will accelerate to fast add that will be uncomfortable. I just spent 4 days on a very light boat (open 60). We did some good surfing, and the acceleration was never so great to throw you around.
You could feel the acceleration, but you didn't need to brace against it out anything.

I doubt any cruising boat will accelerate any faster.
Old 16-05-2012, 15:59   #173

Hi
I have a Ron Given 28 foot or 8.5mtrs cat it has only tramps no hard decking
I sailed from Auckland to Bay of Islands we had a hand held gps & fixed both showed our av speed was 19.5 knots with good sailing never lifted a hull we had 10 up 30knts wind,am going up to Tonga next year in her .I have seen all sorts come in here, the best way is buy what you can afford & make sure its good & learn to sail her & buy a good sea anchor & have it set ready for use.
Then go for it.
slipstreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 17:03   #174
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreamcat View Post
Hi
am going up to Tonga next year in her .I have seen all sorts come in here, the best way is buy what you can afford & make sure its good & learn to sail her & buy a good sea anchor & have it set ready for use.
Then go for it.
Best of luck getting to Cat 1 with that!
Old 17-05-2012, 19:38   #175

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Would you sail in that???!!!??? /=~\ and at that, sail across an ocean or go on any kind of extended voyage?
Not necessarily my cup of tea, but the builder managed to sail the coast of central America and over to Cuba. Small vessels have crossed oceans before - careful planning and weather-watching make it reasonably safe and comfortable. Obviously tankage and supply-capacity are limited, but on the other hand, it would be cheaper/easier to ship a small boat across the ocean and meet it there.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:21   #176

Boat: Careel 22

What do you Cat owners think of the 30' Iroquois, a small cruising Cat buit by Sailcraft, a British boat building company. What are they like for safety, comfort and headroom?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31   #177

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I don't think I agree with his point that light boats will accelerate to fast add that will be uncomfortable. I just spent 4 days on a very light boat (open 60). We did some good surfing, and the acceleration was never so great to throw you around.
You could feel the acceleration, but you didn't need to brace against it out anything.

I doubt any cruising boat will accelerate any faster.
The point was not that a light boat would slam you around during acceleration, rather that you would be more aware of the acceleration and deceleration as well.

An example would be many times I have been a passenger in my brothers truck with a cup of coffee. When leaving a stop light I have to perform minor adjustments so the coffee does not spill. There is no slamming around or even minor discomfort, rather I have to stop relaxing and pay more attention to what's going on around me.

I was sailing on an F24 this weekend and one of the crew members spilled a small amount of the water in his water bottle due to a sudden acceleration (those Fboats really accelerate well). Perhaps more to the point every time the F24 accelerated the skipper and crew all thought, do we need to sheet in or out, fall off or head up, or make some other adjustment. So I still claim slower acceleration and deceleration is more comfortable.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21   #178

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl

The point was not that a light boat would slam you around during acceleration, rather that you would be more aware of the acceleration and deceleration as well.

An example would be many times I have been a passenger in my brothers truck with a cup of coffee. When leaving a stop light I have to perform minor adjustments so the coffee does not spill. There is no slamming around or even minor discomfort, rather I have to stop relaxing and pay more attention to what's going on around me.

I was sailing on an F24 this weekend and one of the crew members spilled a small amount of the water in his water bottle due to a sudden acceleration (those Fboats really accelerate well). Perhaps more to the point every time the F24 accelerated the skipper and crew all thought, do we need to sheet in or out, fall off or head up, or make some other adjustment. So I still claim slower acceleration and deceleration is more comfortable.
If I can sail a boat (especially a cruiser) that accelerates so fast that it will spill my coffee, sign me up. generally there are waves and swell that will cause a lot more problems than acceleration!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14   #179

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
What do you Cat owners think of the 30' Iroquois, a small cruising Cat buit by Sailcraft, a British boat building company. What are they like for safety, comfort and headroom?
I don't know how many Iroquois owners are on the forum, but rather than only relying on input from any brand catamaran owners, why don't you simply contact the Iroquois Owners Association and ask them first-hand?

Iroquois Owners Association

Marshall
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27   #180
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
I don't know how many Iroquois owners are on the forum, but rather than only relying on input from any brand catamaran owners, why don't you simply contact the Iroquois Owners Association and ask them first-hand?

Iroquois Owners Association

Marshall
I found this as well.

Iroquois/Sailcraft Owners Resource Page

These are the boats that gave catamarans the stigma they carry to this day, as they did capsize regularly. They were regarded as "sports cars" rather than "caravans" and were best sailed with the mainsheet in your hand like a big Hobie cat. They might be a lot of fun as a day sailor but not so much as a cruiser unless you can load it down with enough gear to prevent the windward hull from lifting.

Also...from this page "....It is recommended not to run before the wind over a force 3 - 4, the reason being to prevent the sail battens from breaking on the main shrouds....."

Ummm ....guys.... force 3 is just 7 to 10 knots, making these boats too tender, even on a dead run, to do any kind of sailing with them.

Tags
cruising, multihull, water