Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 00:17   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: What do single handlers do at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Where did you get the section Application of this rule? It isn't in your link. I'm surprised that sleep would be included in those exceptions, as it is not an immediate danger.

Looks like a rectally extracted quotation to me
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:03   #62

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yea, I figured that. The Admiralty Courts don't tend to use rectal arguments. Here's the conclusions from a single-handing sailboat vs ship accident
Quote:
Fault on the Part of the CAMERA
As noted, I have rejected defendants' claim that the CAMERA failed to display the required navigation lights. But she must also be condemned for failure to maintain a proper lookout.

*450 The obligation to maintain a proper lookout falls upon great vessels and small alike. Matter of Interstate Towing Co., 717 F.2d 752 (2d Cir.1983) (failure of "small pleasure craft" to maintain proper lookout held to contribute to her collision with barge under tow).

In the case at bar, Granholm's decision to go below during the nighttime was negligent.
https://www.courtlistener.com/opinio...olm-v-tfl-exp/
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:42   #63
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's my opinion. Note the absence of indentation.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:06   #64
cruiser

What do single handlers do at night?

Take a nap.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:41   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yea, I figured that. The Admiralty Courts don't tend to use rectal arguments. Here's the conclusions from a single-handing sailboat vs ship accident

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinio...olm-v-tfl-exp/
You are "cherry picking" your quote from the court's decision. The conclusion was that both vessels were at fault -- which is almost always the decision in cases of collisions between two vessels underway. But the court found in favor of the skipper of the sailboat - even though he admitted to being asleep at the time of the collision - and he was awarded his claim, with a deduction proportional to his degree of fault for the accident. Read the conclusion at the end of the court's decision.
CONCLUSION

The Clerk of the Court is directed to enter judgment in favor of plaintiff Kai Granholm and against the vessel TFL EXPRESS and defendant Timur Carriers (Pte.) Ltd., jointly and severally, in the amount of $77,655.30, with interest from the date of judgment until paid.
* See note below
This case is a good refutation of the safety of taking short sleeping periods after scanning for traffic. The skipper was sleeping with an egg timer set at 30 minutes after he'd scanned for traffic. Still, he collided with a freighter on a clear night. The proper use of AIS by the sailboat would have probably prevented this collision.

It is far safer, IMO, to utilize AIS and get several hours of uninterrupted sleep. I wonder if he didn't see and recognize the freighter during his visual scan due to sleep deprivation. "Seeing" is a mental process more than an optical process.

* For those of you above who misinterpreted my use of indentation for quotation marks, it is a common practice to substitute indentation for quotation marks, and text not indented is not a quotation.
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_formatting_quotations.html
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30   #66
cruiser

(session timed out)

A separate, but I believe notable issue, is the claim by the deck crew of the freighter that the sailboat's tricolor navigation light was off. The sailboat skipper disputed that claim. It would be truly lubberly to have the light off.

I believe it is more likely that the sailboat's tricolor light was on but couldn't be recognized. On a clear night, the single point of light from a tricolor light, elevated above the dark background of water, tends to blend in with the background field of stars. Especially the white stern light. The freighter crew claimed they could not see the sailboat 2 nm away, even after they were alerted to its presence by the skipper's radio calls, postcollision. They only saw a strobe light against the dark background of water before the skipper turned on his deck lights.

This fits with my own experience having stood watch on large vessels. Tricolor lights are very difficult to see against a field of stars, and if a vessel is on a converging collision course with a sailboat using a tricolor, that light is stationary against the background stars and is rendered nearly unrecognizable. The red navigation light can be mistaken for Mars. On a clear night, the unaided eye can see about 2,000 stars - some of which are brighter than a tricolor light at a distance. Just imagine being on watch while being elevated 40 or more feet above the water trying to discern a single point of light against either the dark water (a deck-mounted navigation light) versus a light hovering against a field of stars (a tricolor). Now imagine seeing a red light above a green light against the stars and a single light against the dark water.

That's why I use the red-over-green plus deck level navigation lights per rule 25(c). And even though the rules permit side lights rated for only 1 mile visibility on my vessel, mine are rated for 2 miles. My stern light is rated at 3 miles. All those LED lights use less power than a single incandescent bulb.

I understand that reluctance in the past to use the "optional" rule 25(c) configuration with incandescent lights, due to power consumption and especially with the necessity of going up the mast to replace the mast-mounted bulbs. But with LEDs, it's seems a no brainier to me to use a red-over-green configuration. Plus, if your vessel is longer than 20 meters, it's your only option to get lights aloft.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:21   #67
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantafig View Post
What do single handlers do at night?

Take a nap.
Not all do exactly that though, the smarter cookies double check the radar alarm guard zones are set right & the timed transmit, quick check the ais alarm is set right. Then if the boat is well offshore and off the shelf, empty ocean all around, set the loud timer and have a nice snooze Repeat until other side of the ocean.

Then if a lot of time has been spent on this forum, a wry smile that all the iprcs rule breakers not flying a dayshape to show they're anchored are let off by the forum police but you with probabilities of hitting another vessel pulled way down low with proven tech are somehow guilty of an awful crime..........
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:55   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
It also depends on onboard company![emoji1787][emoji1787]
Oh, you must mean the blow up doll.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:20   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Oh, you must mean the blow up doll.

Or blow up sheep (depending on nationality!) ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:21   #70

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
You are "cherry picking" your quote from the court's decision. The conclusion was that both vessels were at fault -- which is almost always the decision in cases of collisions between two vessels underway. But the court found in favor of the skipper of the sailboat - even though he admitted to being asleep at the time of the collision - and he was awarded his claim, with a deduction proportional to his degree of fault for the accident. Read the conclusion at the end of the court's decision.
CONCLUSION

The Clerk of the Court is directed to enter judgment in favor of plaintiff Kai Granholm and against the vessel TFL EXPRESS and defendant Timur Carriers (Pte.) Ltd., jointly and severally, in the amount of $77,655.30, with interest from the date of judgment until paid.
* See note below
That's not cherry picking. It is the judge in this case disagreeing with your interpretation of Colregs allowing singlehanders to not keep a watch because they want to sleep.
Your using the conclusion of the case with partial payment to the single hander might be considered cherry picking, as there was no damage to the other ship.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 06:42   #71

Boat: Schooner scow

On the few I’ve done in the Gulf and along the GulfStream, I’ve cat napped for very short 5 to 10 minutes periods after first making sure the timer was set and the radar alarm was functioning. I would do a three sixty scan and if no lights were seen then I start the nap process. In all instances I had no problem with other vessels but honestly that 5 to 10 minutes was not of very much value after a 24 hour period. Single handing in high traffic areas such a the ones I was in are exhausting.
Old 14-10-2019, 07:06   #72

Learn to get your sleep in 30m snippets. Get in tune with your boat so any change in motion or noise will wake you.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:12   #73

Boat: Chris-Craft, Carribean 35, 40' LOA

Full electronics, alarms and sleep is what I do.

I use all my electronics, making certain all the collision and auto-pilot alarms are active, do a visual 360 scan, then go below and sleep.

But I only do this when offshore and I don't get comfortable. I also sleep in the galley instead of one of the cabins so I'll be right at the companionway, ready to climb back up into the cockpit.

I found those 15 minute naps in the cockpit just exhaust you. After just 2 or 3 days of "naps" I'm way too exhausted to move, let alone deal with a crisis. Plus my center cockpit is very small and uncomfortable.

I also either de-power the sails or run the diesel. I'm afraid I'll wake up with sails ripping or way overpowered so better slower and safe than fast and dead. I don't like sleeping with my Yanmar running, it's so noisy I might actually sleep through an alarm, but if you don't sleep you will pass out anyway from lack of sleep. I'd rather control when I sleep than pass out at the wheel (which I've done before from exhaustion).
JamieDMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:16   #74

When my wife and I, along with our two children, crossed the Atlantic in 1990, we asked other cruisers what they did, and were advised to have a good radar reflector on the mast, use an egg timer or other countdown timer, and sleep in short intervals. We used the inflatable on deck as a bed and slept for 20 minute intervals, waking up only enough to do a 360 degree scan of the horizon. Amazingly, it worked and we never felt sleep deprived. Being already on deck, I would just raise up on my elbows, so the scan, and reset the timer. I think that my brain did not come fully awake so that I was able to instantly go back to sleep.

I do have to admit that once we got seriously offshore and out of shipping lanes, we would sometimes miss the timer beeping and would sleep for an hour or more. Way offshore, there is no shipping to worry about. Also, all commercial ships are required to have collision avoidance radar working at all times, so a really good radar reflector is critical. We had a British Firdell Blipper radar reflector near the top of our mast.
Factotum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:16   #75

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

300+ days at sea single handing: The Figure 8 Voyage – Around the Americas and Antarctica in one season.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single