Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 10:32   #1

What Brand/Model is this 1992 35ft catamaran?

I'm new here and have been looking at catamarans for a long time, but have stuck with mono hulls due to price. I have sailed since college and love spending time on the water. We are looking for a weekend cruising type cat which brings me to the question below.

What kind of boat is this? It looks like it's more of a performance cat with just a covered passageway between the hulls and a big trampoline up front. I'm told its a 1992 35' Catalina, and from research I know aCtalina builds some boats for Gemini like the legacy, but I can't seem to find anything out about this particular boat. I have seen large cross members on the front of the trampoline like that before (where it sticks out of the side of the boat) but I can't remember. A friend of a friend is selling it, and I'm trying to find more info before we spend 2 days driving to go look at it.

Nada doesn't have anything as well under catalina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951901.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	128030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951902.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	128031  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951900.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	128032  
stewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:36   #2

Re: What Brand/Model is this 1992 35ft catamaran?

Looks like an Edel.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep - EDEL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ed35_1.pdf (342.7 KB, 398 views)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:06   #4

bravo gentlemen THANKS!
stewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 06:00   #5

My neighbor has one of those. Bought it new in roughly 1992 and they love it. They've been up and down the East Coast on it. It's a bit small for long term stuff, but they do it.

I've sailed along side it, and found it to be very effective upwind. He has new Mack sails on it, and I would say the keels and rig worked surprisingly well on the wind.

Off the wind, she's a bit faster, but don't expect thoroughbred performance. It is a cruiser after all and has a fair amount of wetted surface with those big keels.

I've seen her out of the water as well, and was impressed with her sturdy construction.
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 07:08   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We used to own an Edel 43. Basically 2 hulls and a bridge deck cabin held together with 3 large aluminum beams. This type of construction in my opinion is what made the motion so smooth, the hulls and bridge deck were able to move independently. The bridge deck was pretty low so she did pound but the pod less open bridge deck model seems to have much better clearance under the bridge deck. She also sailed quite well. Before we bought the cat we have now the Edel 35 was on our short list, especially the open bridge deck model.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:08   #7

A friend of mine, C.A., who has sailed everywhere, including Antarctica, and has cruised on many various sailboats sailed an Edel to the South Pacific.
The centre nacelle pounded so bad he sold it on arrival and built another boat.

One of several from ferro-cement to fiberglass to aluminium and 30 feet to 50 feet.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 09:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewfish View Post
I'm new here and have been looking at catamarans for a long time, but have stuck with mono hulls due to price. I have sailed since college and love spending time on the water. We are looking for a weekend cruising type cat which brings me to the question below.

What kind of boat is this? It looks like it's more of a performance cat with just a covered passageway between the hulls and a big trampoline up front. I'm told its a 1992 35' Catalina, and from research I know aCtalina builds some boats for Gemini like the legacy, but I can't seem to find anything out about this particular boat. I have seen large cross members on the front of the trampoline like that before (where it sticks out of the side of the boat) but I can't remember. A friend of a friend is selling it, and I'm trying to find more info before we spend 2 days driving to go look at it.

Nada doesn't have anything as well under catalina
I actually bought that boat...it was a smashing deal..sailed it to Cuba...and still own it...
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, model