Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 08:25   #121

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: What are the Slowest Cats?

To make amends for my misapplied comparison:

If anyone created an CAT that bucked and rolled over every swell, that heeled over 45 degrees putting the occupants into a crevice, that required that the ships cook strap themselves in and lean against a bulkhead to cook a meal, to stand on their tiptoes to peer out a tiny porthole with a view only of the sky, and required the captain to stand on the transom and peer around the mailsail and over the saloon to see where they are going, that directed sea spray into their faces, and had such a deep keel that they could only access about 20% of tropical coasts, then that CAT would sell very few units.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:47   #122

Boat: secondarily boatless

I am always amazed at the seriousness with which this completely senseless debate is continuing. And I certainly don't intend to fuel it.

I have raced Hobie Cats for maybe 15 years as a Youngster, and the fact that we always had special buoys a bit further out was a testimony to the higher speeds of these boats - until the Tornadoes would arrive and we would be "second best".

I started sailing big boats in monohulls, and I enjoyed the thrill of heeling - while I was at the wheel. Down below I didn't... It was my wife who really hated it and got me to charter a cat for the first time, and I am a convert - hence our new floating second and soon to be primary home. Does that mean I want to convert the rest of the world? Nooo way! Would I want to switch? Same answer - but by now I love our boat and wouldn't part with it anyway.

Maybe that's the true analogy - at least from a male standpoint: Some love Blondes, some like redheads, and once you've spent some time together you find out that the color of her hair does not matter one bit.

In that sense - to both Monohullers and Multihullers - have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:48   #123

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

As stated before one of the best thing about monos is affordability. Good luck finding a cat under 100K. That'll buy a lot a mono.

Enough of thread drift. This is my thread. I started it. So, what are the slowest cats.
Old 23-12-2012, 08:55   #124

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
As stated before one of the best thing about monos is affordability. Good luck finding a cat under 100K. That'll buy a lot a mono.

Enough of thread drift. This is my thread. I started it. So, what are the slowest cats.
Have you seen this behemoth?
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3336634938.html

snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:02   #125

Quote:
Truthfully that is my conclusion. Over 50' or so, you're better off with a cat for long-term liveaboard cruising (unless you love sport-sailing your 60' keelboat).

Under 50' though, cat's are not really an option.

The slowest cats are:
- CRUISING cats
- cats that are where their owners want to be
- beached cats
- cats that stay tied to the dock
- upside-down cats
- cats with their keels ripped out on a reef
- cats on the hard

But above all others...
- CATS THAT ARE FOR SALE ARE THE SLOWEST-MOVING CATS
Old 23-12-2012, 09:11   #126
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

ArtM has "blind faith" in catamarans. Or is trolling. I have already shown that for the same price he can buy a mono which by his own definitions is better for him. The mono has considerably more space with bigger beds and more private staterooms with more space and it sails much better for less price. As for the "style" well I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. But even many catamaran enthusiasts cringe at the styling of lagoon. Saying mono's sail at 45deg is about as intelligent as saying cats sail upside down.

Someone mentioned I should be comparing a lagoon to a bigger hunter for the sole reason that I own a hunter. This logic would only apply to someone with blind faith such as Artm. I am not a hunter or even mono enthusiast. I will buy what suits me best depending on price and availability VS my desires. My particular boat fitted me best when I came to buy a boat. Chances are the next wont be a Hunter. That's not because I don't like my boat (quite the opposite, we love it) its just that there are so many options out there and it would have to be a fluke. I may even buy a cat (probably not due to the good ones being out of my budget), but if it is it wont be a lagoon or similar though for the reasons I outlined previously in this thread.

Cheers,
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:18   #127

Disagreeing. You are placing sailability above liveability. By my definition, almost any cat over 39' in length is more liveable than almost any mono. You are not applying my definitions, but your own.

I do agree that below 39', cats become increasingly "unlivable" to a degree that a mono becomes a more liveable option - at which time the shallow-water cruiser is instantly faced with a huge range of unpleasant compromises they would not be facing in a larger cat.

By that definition, we agree that your 40' hunter is more liveable than a comparably sized and priced catamaran.

I am not opposed to anyone cruising in a 60' below-decks boat if they enjoy it, but I am opposed to this repeated accusation that catamarans are unworthy because they don't sail like a raceboat.

Further, I am opposed to the repeated claims that all monos are faster than all cats - they are not.
Old 23-12-2012, 11:20   #128

I get a weekly update from the Cat Co. It lists newly listed, sales pending and sold boats.
Dec 17....11sold
Dec 10....4 sold
Dec 3......2 sold
Nov 10....4 sold I'm missing a few weeks
Oct 31.....3 sold

I'm just not sure that cats that are up for sale are the slowest moving. The MH Co is also moving product. The two of them do have 100s of listings. And 6 pre-orders from the new Alpha 42. Most cats are in the low to mid 40s' range and an average price of $250 to $350K (I think). Lotsa Leopards and Lagoons.

Edit: The Cat Co has 320 listings, The MH company has 154. Some are power cats but not many.
Old 23-12-2012, 11:32   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Have you seen this behemoth?
sailboat catamaran 40ft

That boat needs to be in the ugly boat thread. Seems like it's heeling a bit much for the relatively calm conditions. In a blow it might not be safe.
Old 23-12-2012, 11:42   #130

Quote:
I get a weekly update from the Cat Co. It lists newly listed, sales pending and sold boats.
Dec 17....11sold
Dec 10....4 sold
Dec 3......2 sold
Nov 10....4 sold I'm missing a few weeks
Oct 31.....3 sold

Glad to see these guys are doing a brisk business. I had thought about how someone should create a cat-specific brokerage business, and found these guys. I think they're doing a good job of specializing in this narrow segment.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:10   #131

There's also Aeroyacht, The Multihull Source, West Coast Multihulls, Navigator, Sail Away Cats, Crown, Just Catamarans in the US. There's YBC in asia, Multihull Solutions in Oz, Cat-Sale in Germany, Moorings all over and Multihulls World in GB. Some of these carry co-listed boats and some are mostly tris. Many of the carib brokers have a good inventory of cats in addition to monos.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:49   #132

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
That boat needs to be in the ugly boat thread. Seems like it's heeling a bit much for the relatively calm conditions. In a blow it might not be safe.
No, it's just the wife powdering her nose in the port hull.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 14:07   #133

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
No, it's just the wife powdering her nose in the port hull.
Thats a lotta wife!
Old 23-12-2012, 14:42   #134

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

The Manatee of catamarans.

Gotta love it.

Has some nice features for sure.
Old 23-12-2012, 14:50   #135

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
I say the worlds slooowest Catamaran is that Lagoon 450 in the BVI!
Great contribution, as always well done!