Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 14:53   #136

Boat: O45 ordered
Smile Re: What are the Slowest Cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Great contribution, as always well done!

+1
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 15:29   #137

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: What are the Slowest Cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
I say the worlds slooowest Catamaran is that Lagoon 450 in the BVI!
I hope you weren't chartering it, George.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:53   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

Ok fine, so I guess many cruisers are in it for the sailing first. But for those of us who aren't we are in it for the travel and lifestyle first.

My priority list is as follows, and I think that many other cat owners will have a similar list:

1) Comfort at anchor and at sail
2) Quality and style
3) Sailing performance

Sailing performance is on the list, but it is not at the top. If it were possible to make a quiet solar powered motorcat, I suspect that the sailing aspect would become far less important to many cat owners out there.

Now it happens that I do enjoy the sailing experience - but not for the "action" of it, but rather I enjoy the smooth, silent motion of the boat as it slowly and economically carries me to a new destination while I read, work, and live in comfort on her broad, flat decks - and that is what a cat does very well.
Clearly my point of view of cruising
Good conclusion!
Old 24-12-2012, 04:46   #139

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: What are the slowest cats?

[QUOTE=Barra;1103666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
It is a "slow" lagoon leading the ARC multidiv now.
It was a slow Lagoon 560 winning last year to, Gunboat came in first but on cor time Lagoon beat them.

QUOTE]

Get ya hand off it mate!

The lagoon this year is in front cos it motored through the low winds while the catana sailed - thats how it got in front and thats how the 560 won last year too- by motoring and then not claiming full engine hours....

If it were a race (with no motoring allowed) that heavy lagoon would be a few more spots back too imho
Here are the list from ARC 2012, showing that the Catana motored more then the Lagoon did

Merry CXmas. to al and sail safe.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Cat-races-2011-12-5.xls (109.5 KB, 91 views)
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:22   #140

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This Lagoon 45 was slow to start with, but after the modifications it got even slower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon 45.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	51636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon 45_a.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	51637  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:02   #141
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

While I originally wondered if this entire thread was a troll, it certainly appears that some have caused it to devolve into another meaningless slugging match between the proponents of monohulls and catamarans. Any comparison between monos and cats, or attacks on cats or monos in general is clearly outside of the scope of this thread.

Of course, the wheels on the bus go round and round.....

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 07:40   #142
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I regularly sail both on monos and catamarans in tropical settings. I enjoy both types of boats. However, when it comes time to buy a boat, I'm a catamaran guy. I entertain quite a bit, and after a night or weekend on my catamaran, every mono sailor who's been my guest with his wife (without exception) prefers my boat over his own as there is that large a difference in comfort level. Should you guys buy a catamaran? Well, it depends.

In high latitudes, the temperature is lower which means the air/wind is denser, and the waves can be steeper. If this was my sailing area, I'd prefer a mono in this environment. Remember, monos travel through the water, and catamarans travel on top of the water. Having said this, in a warmer climate you can not beat a catamaran.

Monos aren't going to disappear in our lifetimes and cruising catamaran sales won't increase unless the world economy improves, or someone figures out how to remove 50% of the cost of a new cruising catamaran.

As for me, I have just as much fun sailing a buddy's 45' Columbia (1 knot faster than me) or 36' Morgan Out Island ( 1/4 knot slower than me) as I do sailing my boat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 16:07   #143

Send a message via Skype™ to leont

Probably, IP Pocket Cat 35 is one of the slowests. Definitely is a candidate.
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 13:55   #144

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Given the boat I own, I was a bit reluctant to get involved in this thread, after all I bought the Endeavourcat 44 to cruise, not race. I figured I must be the slowest of the slow, at least in the catamaran world. I was in Georgetown Exuma for the cruising regatta this year and decided to enter the races. Ok, who would be stupid enough to race an Endeavourcat. Me is the answer, but it was just for fun. So we entered both the round the island race and the in harbor race. In any case they put us in class B multihulls, which are the "commodious" cruising boats. In this case, a Lagoon 42, an FP Venezia, and a Broadblue 42. There were also a couple of trimarans in the race, but why they were in our class, I don't know. The race was handicapped, and I won the round the Island race in my class and came in third in the in harbor race. The only boats that beat me in real time were the tri's. I Beat all the cats and a lagoon 44 in the class A'a in real time. Apparently I'm not the slowest cat around, so I'll proudly take my place as the fastest of the slow rather than the slowest of the slow. To tell you the truth, no one was more surprised than me.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 15:50   #145

Ah Bill!
They say a tradesman should never blame his tools for bad work. Likewise, good work needs more than just good tools. With that in mind I have no doubt you know how to sail! Perhaps for some of the others, not so much. Well done, and have pride in your cat too.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 16:48   #146

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Given the boat I own, I was a bit reluctant to get involved in this thread, after all I bought the Endeavourcat 44 to cruise, not race. I figured I must be the slowest of the slow, at least in the catamaran world. I was in Georgetown Exuma for the cruising regatta this year and decided to enter the races. Ok, who would be stupid enough to race an Endeavourcat. Me is the answer, but it was just for fun. So we entered both the round the island race and the in harbor race. In any case they put us in class B multihulls, which are the "commodious" cruising boats. In this case, a Lagoon 42, an FP Venezia, and a Broadblue 42. There were also a couple of trimarans in the race, but why they were in our class, I don't know. The race was handicapped, and I won the round the Island race in my class and came in third in the in harbor race. The only boats that beat me in real time were the tri's. I Beat all the cats and a lagoon 44 in the class A'a in real time. Apparently I'm not the slowest cat around, so I'll proudly take my place as the fastest of the slow rather than the slowest of the slow. To tell you the truth, no one was more surprised than me.
From all that I have read, that is an amazing accomplishment. Now where do I throw all the stuff I have read over the years?
Old 10-05-2013, 19:56   #147

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Ah Bill!
They say a tradesman should never blame his tools for bad work. Likewise, good work needs more than just good tools. With that in mind I have no doubt you know how to sail! Perhaps for some of the others, not so much. Well done, and have pride in your cat too.
If I thought I was a great sailor I might agree, but I did almost no sailing until I bought this boat 7 years ago. I was basically a power boater, though I would occasionally rent a sunfish for a little fun on the local lake. It was in fact the first sailboat race I had ever entered. The guy captaining the FP said he did a lot of racing. None of the other people mentioned their racing experience. The crew consisted of my wife, who I cajoled into reading "The Annapolis Book of Sailing" for the first time on this trip, and two trawler people, one of whom had never been on a moving sailboat before. I've always told people that the boat sails better than it looks like it should, at least now I have some evidence. Awe hell, maybe I am just a great sailor. Funny I can't seem to get my head through the companion way.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 22:22   #148

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If I thought I was a great sailor I might agree, but I did almost no sailing until I bought this boat 7 years ago. I was basically a power boater, though I would occasionally rent a sunfish for a little fun on the local lake. It was in fact the first sailboat race I had ever entered. The guy captaining the FP said he did a lot of racing. None of the other people mentioned their racing experience. The crew consisted of my wife, who I cajoled into reading "The Annapolis Book of Sailing" for the first time on this trip, and two trawler people, one of whom had never been on a moving sailboat before. I've always told people that the boat sails better than it looks like it should, at least now I have some evidence. Awe hell, maybe I am just a great sailor. Funny I can't seem to get my head through the companion way.
I think cat owners have been told that their boats are slow for so long, they have just chosen to accept it rather than bother arguing the point.

I think if hard evidence were ever laid out, and if the analysis were done in a sensible and equitable way, it would be discovered that cats are generally as fast or faster than their "equivalent" monohulls on many if not most points of sail.

That equivalence, though, is hard to define. There are far too many people wanting to compare racing monohulls against cruising catamarans, and only on selected points of sail.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24   #149

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
That equivalence, though, is hard to define. There are far too many people wanting to compare racing monohulls against cruising catamarans, and only on selected points of sail.
Maybe let the mono sailor choose the cat and the cat sailor choose the mono?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:37   #150

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
...I think if hard evidence were ever laid out, and if the analysis were done in a sensible and equitable way, it would be discovered that cats are generally as fast or faster than their "equivalent" monohulls on many if not most points of sail...
Surely if anyone could be bothered, it would be possible to use polars combined with real (or imaginary) weather data, and a course, to plot out a handful of competing boats and run a theoretical race...

Its not hard evidence, but its indicative at least.

Any volunteers?