Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 19:43   #1

Wharram Tiki 21

I am looking at building a Tiki 21, mostly for coastal cruising. I have a few questions about them:

- How does landing and launching go on surf beaches (especially launching). Where i live on the east coast of Australia, almost all beaches have reasonable surf and this has a big impact on coastal exploration.

- I know that a T21 has circumnavigated, but apart from that, has anyone had any experience with them in blue water? What are reasonable planning speeds?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also, does anyone know of some reasonably comprehensive resources that would help me in my research?

Miles
AvocadoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 21:09   #2

Re: Wharram Tiki 21

I hear Wharram has a new 26 which is an upgrade of the 21, may be worth a look.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 21:57   #3

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26

There is a specialiced Wharram forum called "Wharram builders and friends" where there is a lot of information.

The weight of the Tiki 21 (empty) is 360 kg so with sails, anchor, motor, etc. the weight must be 400 - 450 kg. Is not easy to move it for a man alone. If you are interested in coastal exploration may be you can consider the Tahiti Wayfarer, that is also 21 feet, buth weigths 220 kg.

I think the Tiki 21 is very capable, as you can see in the following video

andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:18   #4

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Wharram Tiki 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
I hear Wharram has a new 26 which is an upgrade of the 21, may be worth a look.
I'd suggest the next step. Build one boat now: the 31. "Starter" boats are a waste of effort. IMO. BTDT

If catamaran surf launching is essential, you're looking for a Hobie or similar.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Tiki 26 has been round a long time.. for launching off surf beaches you need to look at the 17ft Hitia.. but to be frank beaching/launching off surf beaches is dumb in the 1st degree.. ask the folk here who try landing and/or launching their inflatables on these type of these beaches..
They are not landing craft and just about every beach I saw along the N, W and S coast had a quiet spot to land/beach.. kinda like anchorages.. gotta pick the good time and stay away in the bad..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'd suggest the next step. Build one boat now: the 31. "Starter" boats are a waste of effort. IMO. BTDT

If catamaran surf launching is essential, you're looking for a Hobie or similar.
HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Tiki 26 has been round a long time.. for launching off surf beaches you need to look at the 17ft Hitia.. but to be frank beaching/launching off surf beaches is dumb in the 1st degree.. ask the folk here who try landing and/or launching their inflatables on these type of these beaches..
They are not landing craft and just about every beach I saw along the N, W and S coast had a quiet spot to land/beach.. kinda like anchorages.. gotta pick the good time and stay away in the bad..
+1

If you've landed or launched in the surf with anything... Then think how much more difficult it's going to be with a boat the size of the Tiki...

If you've not done so... then drop the idea as boaty suggests...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

You can try to contact Martin Dolecek as he took off with a Tiki, and he built his too.

As far as I know, he hated the boat. He went for a mono afterwards.

Any boat not nifty enough or lacking punch will have trouble launching thru the surf.

What are your alternatives?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:04   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

With the 23 our club had there was no way even a couple of very strong guys could launch through even the smallest surf. They handle wonderfully if you do not overload them with either cruising equipment or crew. I'd go for the 26 though. Much more capable.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:46   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would suggest you try to find a P-Cat 19, probably not possible in OZ as they were made in California, I know some were in Hawaii.
Can handle 4 people, unlike a Hobie.

Old 06-09-2014, 15:39   #10

I too had this idea: get a Hobbie and a couple of dry bags. I believe a Hobbie is easier to launch and at least as fast, wet and efficient as a Tiki. Possibly more efficient too.

Two cents.

b.
Old 06-09-2014, 17:21   #11

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Wharram Tiki 21

I live on the E coast of Australia as well and your idea of landing and launching off surf beaches is not a sensible idea, downright stupid in fact. There are countless rivers, harbours and bays to explore without the need to try and navigate through breaking surf and if you do sooner or later you will lose your boat. Just stick to safe anchorages and use a small inflatable to go ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 18:14   #12

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I too had this idea: get a Hobbie and a couple of dry bags. I believe a Hobbie is easier to launch and at least as fast, wet and efficient as a Tiki. Possibly more efficient too.

Two cents.

b.
On this note, I wonder what happened to the guy who was taking the Hobie from SoCal, and camping on the beach, to see his girlfriend in some Central Am country where, as I recall, they were then going to buy a cruiser?

Ah, the stuff we read here. Yesterday I read about a guy who thinks nothing about rowing his dink to shore in 50 kt winds. I think most of us would be on a serious anchor watch but it's on the Internet, it must be true, eh?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 13:56   #13

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You can try to contact Martin Dolecek as he took off with a Tiki, and he built his too.

As far as I know, he hated the boat. He went for a mono afterwards.

Any boat not nifty enough or lacking punch will have trouble launching thru the surf.

What are your alternatives?

b.
You have refered to this blokes misery on another occasion,but for the life of me I cannot find anything about his travails. Would you be so kind as to provide a link?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
You have refered to this blokes misery on another occasion,but for the life of me I cannot find anything about his travails. Would you be so kind as to provide a link?
Martin DoleĨek

The bloke is doing fine. Sailing round the world. Now somewhere in the Tuamotus. In a mono, of course, not in a Tiki cat.

Cheers,
b.
Old 08-09-2014, 16:19   #15

Boat: wharram tiki 26

cheers mate.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wharram