Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 20:00   #76

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Wharram Thoughts

I dunno, Lagoon gets away with it??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34   #77

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i saw this cat last nite at Mill Pond in Bedford Basin NS. Please excuse the ignorant question: is this a Wharram? She's about 15 meters long.

i thot it was interesting how the staysail stay is attached:

Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:35   #78

Wharram Thoughts

Definitely not a Wharram. Looks like a TRT.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01   #79

My guess is that it is one of the highly modified Woods Mira catamarans It has the right bows and stern, and appears about the right size. It was a very early Richard Woods design from shortly after he parted company with James. The deep V hulls and bow shape suggests to me that this is what it is, also the rudder setup........... Google it, and you will see quite a few photos, and several highly modified boats. Originally it was an open deck boat with inboard wings. These are reputed to be a superb "blue water" boat.
I really like the pilothouse.............

Note the hull shape and rudder design in this photo of a modified Mira.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09   #80

Wow! The Woods Mira looks like a great boat. I want one.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:50   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
My guess is that it is one of the highly modified Woods Mira catamarans It has the right bows and stern, and appears about the right size. It was a very early Richard Woods design from shortly after he parted company with James. The deep V hulls and bow shape suggests to me that this is what it is, also the rudder setup........... Google it, and you will see quite a few photos, and several highly modified boats. Originally it was an open deck boat with inboard wings. These are reputed to be a superb "blue water" boat.
I really like the pilothouse.............

Note the hull shape and rudder design in this photo of a modified Mira.

Yes, I think you are correct.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:12   #82
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

It’s a Kohler 42
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-119358.html
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:12   #83

I sure missed that one ;-) I thought I knew Bernd's designs fairly well but the Manta at 42 feet is above my "interest range". I love his philosophy of simplicity and ease of construction, and as an engineer myself, the way he integrates things for structural strength, rather than designing structures that have but a single function. He's a brilliant designer. His anti votex panels have proven an abysmal failure for reduction of leeway.... IMHO... "supported" by no less a personage than Pete Hill who found one missing and no difference......... You will note that the KD 860 design now includes a single centerboard............ The Manta of course is a different story with it's deep V Wharram style hulls... This does not reflect negatively on the designer at all IMHO. He is honest and flexible enough to move on........... I admire that!

I wonder how many have been built.........42' is HUGE for home builders.

H.W.
Old 02-10-2019, 17:32   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
..........His anti votex panels have proven an abysmal failure for reduction of leeway.... IMHO... "supported" by no less a personage than Pete Hill who found one missing and no difference.........
H.W.
Having read some of the travel blog of Pete Hill and wife Carlie, IIRC, Pete had LAR keels on his stretched KD 860 and lost one of the keels and said they had not noticed until hauled out in S. Africa. there is a series of photos showing him fabricating a new keel.

Some years ago, I met a south African couple in FL who sailed a modified Woods Mira design (original builder had added bridge deck cabin) having twin swing centerboards and cutter rigged. They said the boards were rarely used. Lost THE engine approaching Trinidad and entered port in Chaguramas (sp?) not using boards or engine.
Jim
sailrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:38   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrjim View Post
Having read some of the travel blog of Pete Hill and wife Carlie, IIRC, Pete had LAR keels on his stretched KD 860 and lost one of the keels and said they had not noticed until hauled out in S. Africa. there is a series of photos showing him fabricating a new keel.

Some years ago, I met a south African couple in FL who sailed a modified Woods Mira design (original builder had added bridge deck cabin) having twin swing centerboards and cutter rigged. They said the boards were rarely used. Lost THE engine approaching Trinidad and entered port in Chaguramas (sp?) not using boards or engine.
Jim

Jim:
It was not an LAR keel that fell off, but an anti vortex panel, and Pete then installed the LAR keels...... You will see that if you reread. The AV panel is a small triangular protrusion that extends laterally inboard from the corner of each hull.

If I did this right, there should be 3 photos here. One of Bernd Kohler's AV panels, and two of Oryx on the beach in Portugal early in it's life, before pete added the keels..... obviously from the photos there are no keels at this point. He added the LAR keels, and later lengthened them (Uruguay I think). Bernd later offered two board options, only one of which is shown on the KD 860 site, which is a single centerboard in a pod between the hulls, The other was what he called "luff boards", and the drawings are available as far as I know......... It consisted of two leeboards, each on the inboard side of one hull rather than being on the outboard side as leeboards usually are. These are fairly slender airfoil shaped boards...NACA 230 series I believe, and retract by swinging aft like a centerboard. Oryx was lengthened considerably, from the plans (1.4M I believe), and you will see in the photos it has a chine at bridge deck level to give more interior space, which the KD 860 design on which it was based lacks. You can find and download a PDF from Kohler's web site describing the AV panels and how they work. I've also included a drawing of the centerboard from the Kohler web site.

H.W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVpanel.png
Views:	95
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	200892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oryx high and dry.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	200894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	oryxonthebeach.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	200895  
Old 11-10-2019, 18:05   #86
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83006
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 18:24   #87

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
Wow! The Woods Mira looks like a great boat. I want one.
There's a nice looking one in one of the french sites listing boats.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 23:01   #88

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
There's a nice looking one in one of the french sites listing boats.
Post a link please, so that everyone can see it.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 23:04   #89

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Lucky Fish - 38' Wharram Tiki 38 Partnership

Lucky Fish have posted several videos recently about their shared boat ownership thoughts and their plans for the future.

Here is their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...qkelyPg/videos
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 17:16   #90

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Post a link please, so that everyone can see it.
Mira Woods 4 the world!

Awesome Cockpit arrangement!
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wharram