Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 01:51   #106
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Weighing down performance cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Hey Tony, want to come sailing in Lake Macquarie? I've scraped a lot of barneys off. Arsen missed his chance!
Well I think we have a new Arsen here!

Somewhere should rip along now ... you know I could get the train ... it's only 4-5 hours by public transport! ... ouch!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 14:09   #107

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I bet she goes to wind alright
Like a train.
First time we took her out after initial inspection, work and relaunch we punched south across moreton bay @ 8 knots into a developed 30+knots.
It was quite enlightening to see what 65 tonne does to waves. Hulk SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
7.5 knots is a decent cruising pace, though. Nothing wrong with that and quite a range you've got as well. Your choice to move to a trawler makes perfect sense to me and it sounds like you're very happy with it. You can carry quite a few toys on her as well, I'd imagine! And beer for that matter and that, for me, is a winner
She still has the 4 x 4 x 1.8m insulated cold room in her.
All sorts of goodness can be stored in there.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 15:17   #108

Simi 60, What trawler do you have? I have to admit I’ve considered that route for the future as well. I went from a 26’ T-Bird to a 33’ C&C (both monos) before joining the stinkpot club with a Ranger Tug 29S. I do miss the sailing, which is one of the reasons I’m considering a multi in the future, but it’s always good to consider all options...
Fishpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 15:29   #109

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpants View Post
Simi 60, What trawler do you have? ...
Look to the left and up one
Avatar picture and details there.

Or look that way <<<<<<<<<<<
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:02   #110

Boat: Catana 53

Greetings,

Having sailed our beloved Farrier 43 Endless Summer across many miles and many oceans before selling her last year I can add a bit to this conversation. Our boat weighed about 12,000 lbs unloaded of cruising stuff, but fully loaded with sailing stuff, (anchors, chain, sails, etc...) I often thought of additional items like a dive compressor in terms of the weight of an additional 200lb man. I would say to my self, "OK, that stuff there equals one other guy aboard".
We slowly added more stuff, spare parts, portable generator, and the like. The boat still sailed like a dream in all conditions especially light air.
There were only two times that I could notice a change in performance relative to weight. The first time was when we left for the Marquesas. We had so much crap, water, fuel, gear, and food aboard that for the first time I could feel Endless Summer being a little sluggish. By the time we reached the Marquesas the fuel and especially the extra water weight was basically diminished and she was back to her agile self.
The second time I noticed a difference in her performance is when I was getting her ready to sell. I took absolutely everything off the boat. Not anchors and chain, but everything else related to cruising gear. At that point she floated an inch or two higher in the water and in very light air I definitely noticed her being more lively.
I think you should put your air compressor aboard and enjoy yourself and your boat.
Fair winds,
Steve
Farrier 43/shopping for my next cat
Maybers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 19:19   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I guess you beg me for an answer, so here she is:

... They have huge storage locker, especially the big ones, so probably no issue to load 5T of barnacles and still moving decently, as long as they do not stick to the bottom.

Try this with a performance cat ;-)
Tell you what, try it with your boat first, let us know how it goes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 00:19   #112

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Why should I? You brought up the 5t barnacles, I do not need them...

Anyway, I am too heavy already with the 4 A/C's, generator, second water tank and all the stuff we think we may need while cruising, exploring and repairing around the globe.

Not yet 5t, but enough to prevent her from flying.
Old 14-03-2019, 00:47   #113
cruiser

Old 14-03-2019, 01:08   #114

You mean like this?

Alternative universe
Old 14-03-2019, 02:38   #115
cruiser

If it suits you, sure!
Old 14-03-2019, 14:33   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Why should I? You brought up the 5t barnacles....

:
Because you're the one claiming you can. But when it comes to "put up or shut up".... well, we can only hope....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 01:37   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Because you're the one claiming you can. But when it comes to "put up or shut up".... well, we can only hope....
While sailing most of the time between 5 and 6kn because of low wind speeds, my SOG record was 15.8kn, we often hit 7.5-8kn when the wind is right.

I still do not claim we can race, but we can move quite well with or condo and reach our destination

Old 15-03-2019, 01:56   #118

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

It's a shame our chart plotters don't incrementally generate more and more accurate polar charts from their observation of over-ground and thru-water speeds, wind speeds and angles, whether the engines were on, etc. Then these conversations would be moot, as there would be a large database of real world data between boats. A man/software engineer can dream.
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 03:24   #119

I do use my tablet to track our trips with the Navionics Boating HD App, they do records speed over ground and duration of the passages as logs, also they log top speed, longest passage, mean speed, distance and lots of other statistics plus the path based on the GPS sensor of the device, so you can easily look up all the trip data and re-run the trip on the map. What is nice, you can create a screenshot easily and share it with your family to show where you have been. The only downside is, you cannot export the data.

Unfortunately the system is independent of the on-board electronics, so no wind data or engine times is logged and therefore useless for polar diagram creation.

I also store the trips in the chart plotter, but the storage is very limited and one need to overwrite old logs.
Old 15-03-2019, 04:09   #120

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

Apparently it's not too hard.

Voyage recorder for cruising, racing and charter boats

Like the idea of long term data recording. Put a 64GB card in it, get years of data. Probably configure it to filter out AIS messages tho, tho recording those to create trails of other boats near you, err, that you're racing against, is also somewhat neat. Also auto-records when you speak if you plug in a microphone, so can create effortless captains logs, along with gps location and time annotation.
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote