Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 20:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Wave power from trimaran ama?

Came across this one today.

Anyone see or here anything like this?

https://www.goodnewspilipinas.com/ph...ean-waves/amp/

I looked at several reports and some claim complete propulsion by wave power and the above report says 20%

Most reports seem to ignore the fact the drawing shows two sails.

Thoughts?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 04:11   #2

Re: Wave power from trimaran ama?

I still do not believe in a Free Lunch,
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 04:24   #3

Boat: Adams 45

The article isn't entirely clear, but I think they're saying they can generate up to 20% of their electricity by wave motion effects. Not the propulsion power.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 06:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As I read the article, the combination of sails and "wave energy pumps" is expected to save 20% of the fuel consumed by a conventional powered ferry of the same capacity.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:32   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Came across this one today.

Anyone see or here anything like this?

https://www.goodnewspilipinas.com/ph...ean-waves/amp/

I looked at several reports and some claim complete propulsion by wave power and the above report says 20%

Most reports seem to ignore the fact the drawing shows two sails.

Thoughts?
It mentions gas, I'm guessing diesel, several times and a 20% savings. Something is better than nothing. I wish them luck. Being a sceptic one can only wonder if grant money is involved possibly not in that part of the world?
It reals like the article was written by a reporter for effect.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:06   #6

I think maybe a perpetual Motion machine . The Motion comes from Cheap Non paying passengers who run from one side to the other. When there is no wind. When there is wind they are being sick as leeward hull is bent up and windward hull is bent down and the middle one is doing the "Tingling Dance"

Anonymous! Senor Miguel El Papa
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:26   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Sounds interesting. Boat rolls, ama pushes up on a lever, spins a generator, produces electricity, powers prop. The tech has been used as wave generators but unsure of it's long term practicality. Lots of high stress moving parts. I'll agree that grant money is pushing it.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:16   #8

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pope View Post
I think maybe a perpetual Motion machine . The Motion comes from Cheap Non paying passengers who run from one side to the other. When there is no wind. When there is wind they are being sick as leeward hull is bent up and windward hull is bent down and the middle one is doing the "Tingling Dance"

Anonymous! Senor Miguel El Papa
Like the Roman's - cheap non-paying passengers called galley slaves. If only they'd had the chance to patent it.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:03   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Also on that page was a story about using dog poop to make bricks.
Figures.
Where's the one about turning a generator with a motor for free power?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:22   #10

I was going to propose that they should ask for a bigger grant so that they can build the vessel so that the Underwater shape is exactly the same as the above water. Just a Mirror image. Then no fear of capsize and the slaves ( Sorry Guests ) would be alert and ready always.
As it is going to be used as a ferry it should be Bi-Directional and so it never has to turn around--- save more fuel. Good cultural Basis like the Pacific Island canoes --- never tack just change ends-- The top say 1/4 of the rigs could be a hard skinned foil and be the keels on one trip and the sails on the next. --- Save pollution and bottom paint

Now this is getting really interesting ----- not sure how it is going to effect the President's "War on Drugs " though ?? Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 15:16   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I brought this odd concept to the groups attention since I do believe in innovation and want inventors to be successful.

I can relate back to my own experience and knowledge of who turbines work.

I am thinking about the motion I experienced on my own trimaran. Yes in a fairly substantial sea state the bow of each ama experiences rather big vertical movement. If upon each downward thrust water entered the forward section of the ama I can envision a few tons of water being picked up and released via a turbine that makes electricity. However, it would take a beefy forward structure to accommodate the weight of the water and equipment.

To save weight gain, the alternative I can envision is to design a portion of the forward ama like an upside down cup that traps air. On the downward plunge air would be pressurized and released via a turbine. On the upward motion air would be drawn back into the cavity and the turbine spun the other direction. The problem I see here is the amount of energy that can be derived from this oscillation in air flow would be hardly more than the energy of a single ceiling fan. The turbine mass would be very small to stop and reverse on each wave.

The sails shown would help defeat energy generation by tipping the vessel onto the leeward ama and holding weather ama higher. This doesn't appear to be the type of vessel that would fly an ama so there would still be some net generation.

Overall however, I see sails plus six wind generators and solar a much better way to gain a combination of wind and electric power which seems to be the intent. One wind generator on the top of each mast and two on each ama would provide far more power. Solar on the roof deck.

However, again my own personal experiences again come to play and I know they will want to air condition the passenger cabin. Any electrical production from wind and solar would be better utilized to offset fuel burned in a generator than propulsion.

And thanks to the reader who pointed out that at best perhaps the article is more appropriately written that the combination of both wind and wave effect would offset 20% of typical propulsion expenditures on fossil fuel alone.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 17:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
I still do not believe in a Free Lunch,
Hi Fred,

My place today at 12.00 pm, Grits and beans, as much as you can stomach.

I agree.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 00:40   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Honestly, canyou blame anyone for trying to secure years of work for local craftsmen in PI? Guy is probably revered for this project. I can’t believe the concept would be commercially viable. YET! Turbines need to spin at very high speeds in order to provide something to another something to make it more efficient. How an ama dropping or piercing a wave doing 10 knots ... or even 15 knots is inconceivable in how that would produce 20 % of a ship’s fuel requirements.

As with all things... time will reveal the truth. Remember the John De Lorean debacle that started in 1975 and ended up with a lot of sore people in early 80’s? Tried but didn’t succeed. Innovators rise and fall upon their ideas. Wish the fella well.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 08:23   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

[QUOTE=peter57;3024126]Hi Fred,

My place today at 12.00 pm, Grits and beans, as much as you can stomach.
that,

I agree "There ain't no free lunch". On the other side of the coin, we would be in the stone ages without innovation. A lot of innovation is a Why didn't I think of that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran