Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 13:45   #61

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: $ vs. Euro for purchase of French Cats

A boat is a moveable asset. Sail it to the caribbean and price it in dollars.

I have seen very few forced sales in the market. Most boats in the 40ft plus range are owned by retirees who are well off. Not many owned by the average joe.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:52   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
A boat is a moveable asset. Sail it to the caribbean and price it in dollars.

I have seen very few forced sales in the market. Most boats in the 40ft plus range are owned by retirees who are well off. Not many owned by the average joe.
Sorry but won't work. You will see that the lower Euro pricing will force the prices in the Carribean down. Also the market isn't just driven by the well off retired market but the entrepreneur class who can suffer in Europe.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:56   #63

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

We will see. Interesting times indeed.

I'm watching from the sideline with no intention to sell or buy.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:07   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: $ vs. Euro for purchase of French Cats

Its pretty good for the Brits as well.. nearing pre-deppression heights.. just 2.5 cents to go..
Weavis this could be your 'Year of the Cat'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:55   #65
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well I wouldn't be sitting on my hands for too long. The exchange rate may be good now but pretty soon any gains will be reflected in the manufacturers pricing to offset those gains. Partly because not all the components are paid for by the manufacturers in euros and most international companies buy and sell in USD. Also the market for most of those cats is to the USA, so they know they can charge at similar rates to what they have in the past..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:20   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Well I wouldn't be sitting on my hands for too long. The exchange rate may be good now but pretty soon any gains will be reflected in the manufacturers pricing to offset those gains. Partly because not all the components are paid for by the manufacturers in euros and most international companies buy and sell in USD. Also the market for most of those cats is to the USA, so they know they can charge at similar rates to what they have in the past..
Yes but pre-owned price falls will have a dampening affect on new prices as well. This is a classic study of the effects of capital pricing in international markets.
Old 09-03-2015, 13:26   #67

Boat: L400 S2 Hull# 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
HI BelizeBound. No I am not that familiar with the Charter deals out there. The one you detail sounds interesting and could be a good way for a person to end up owning their own boat within 5 years. As you point out it does have risks but so does everything. If you do your due diligence on the company you are getting into bed with it should help in minimizing your risk.

In the case you presented the exchange rate would be of little relevance if you intend to keep the boat. If however you wanted to sell it to get into a new or larger boat that is where you would have a problem. So I would be getting something that you would be happy with for say at least 10 years so you could at least get your pleasure/moneys worth out of your depreciated boat.
My Exact time frame Lord Willing!!!!!lol
Old 10-03-2015, 09:04   #68

1.07 in sight
yah mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 16:53   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by yah mon View Post
1.07 in sight
Heading to par quickly and then bellow.
Old 10-03-2015, 21:48   #70

it sure looks like disaster for euro
yah mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 22:00   #71

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by yah mon View Post
it sure looks like disaster for euro
Yep but only half this story is Euro disaster. The other half is the rampant greenback. Thats gonna hurt the US terms of trade and potentially snuff out the recovery underway there.

No long term winners from this currency race to the bottom - we are all one world these days.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 22:20   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yep but only half this story is Euro disaster. The other half is the rampant greenback. Thats gonna hurt the US terms of trade and potentially snuff out the recovery underway there.

No long term winners from this currency race to the bottom - we are all one world these days.
Sorry to rain on your parade but a stronger dollar will make most of what the US consumes cheaper. Including boats. What we are seeing is a rush of money into the safe haven of the US. Do not underestimate the Russian military threat along with its downturn and follow on effect on Europe. Add to this the unresolved Greek issue and other not reported on basket cases such as Spain. A lot going wrong for the Euro and a lot moving in the right direction for the USA.

The Euro should have been bellow the US Dollar years ago based on fundamental economics. But sometimes things take time to shake out. Now your seeing the beginning of the shake out.
Old 10-03-2015, 23:25   #73

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade but a stronger dollar will make most of what the US consumes cheaper. Including boats. What we are seeing is a rush of money into the safe haven of the US. Do not underestimate the Russian military threat along with its downturn and follow on effect on Europe. Add to this the unresolved Greek issue and other not reported on basket cases such as Spain. A lot going wrong for the Euro and a lot moving in the right direction for the USA.

The Euro should have been bellow the US Dollar years ago based on fundamental economics. But sometimes things take time to shake out. Now your seeing the beginning of the shake out.
No worries your not raining on my parade mate - I bought my Euro boat when the AUD was having its run and have done quite nicely

Ill be back on my boat in greece in a few short months and will continue to benefit from the weak Euro then too (though its hard to look past the misery there in the youth i have to say)

BUT

Im just pointing out this isnt a one way street and just like has happened here in AUD land a strong currency destroys GDP in a world where everyone is trying to devalue to the bottom. Your cheaper consumption you point out equals gaping trade deficits and that spells trouble for the US recovery the world needs to see.

Dont take my word for it just watch the deficits start to print and then watch the markets start to worry. Watch the chatter about the Fed having to move on QE4 and then watch the real S*&^ hit the fan.

Hyper inflation anyone?

Time will tell.

Now has become a great time to buy a Euro boat with USD but having been there done that I wouldnt sit on my hands too long. This year should be the sweet spot.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 23:43   #74

Like many on here the cheap euro sparked my interest in a new boat, or potentially a used boat in the med. Any recommendations for dealers in Europe?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:22   #75
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spot on Barra.

Path, I've bought a couple of new boats from Javier at catamarans Barcelona. Great to deal with, highly recommended!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, purchase