Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 15:15   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Visibility from Catamaran

I have a cc camera between my spreaders on the mast led to bulkhead flat screen TV which allows full forward visibility in my mono cabin. But when sailing of course the Genoa creates a huge blind spot which is same mono or multi. You’d have to mount at top of mast
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 17:32   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Visibility from Catamaran

Maybe it’s just me, but if I bought a boat that I don’t feel comfortable steering without a masthead camera, then I bought the wrong boat for me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 18:44   #18

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Maybe it’s just me, but if I bought a boat that I don’t feel comfortable steering without a masthead camera, then I bought the wrong boat for me.
No Its not just you.

One of the advantages of dual helms at either the stern like catanas or the bulkhead like seawinds is you can always choose a helm with good visibility and weather protection.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 08:21   #19

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

Quote:
I don't think that's the right thought process. I have a boat that I am comfortable without AIS and Radar. It's my Dinghy.

I think that adding technology to help sailing enhances the experience. I don't have a camera on my mast, but the idea intrigues me. Could it help at night standing watch? Heck I am lazy. Does it keep my delicate bottom near the soda for longer? I think that people are just brainstorming and offering solutions. I don't think I have been on a boat where I could not see with a little moving.

Sometimes its just small changes. I am at exactly the height so my boom blocks my view of the port side when I am standing at the helm. If I step up on the cockpit edge or sit I can see fine.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers,
Peter
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 08:27   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKoolCat View Post
I don't think that's the right thought process. I have a boat that I am comfortable without AIS and Radar. It's my Dinghy.

I think that adding technology to help sailing enhances the experience. I don't have a camera on my mast, but the idea intrigues me. Could it help at night standing watch? Heck I am lazy. Does it keep my delicate bottom near the soda for longer? I think that people are just brainstorming and offering solutions. I don't think I have been on a boat where I could not see with a little moving.

Sometimes its just small changes. I am at exactly the height so my boom blocks my view of the port side when I am standing at the helm. If I step up on the cockpit edge or sit I can see fine.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers,
Peter

Ah, but that is the right thought process for me. I’m all for technology if that’s what makes one comfortable but I’m also dead set against more systems that mean more maintenance. How is one going to clean the lense of that masthead camera when it gets a little salt spray and renders it useless? I do have radar which hardly gets used and have no AIS. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:38   #21

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

Quote:
Ah, but that is the right thought process for me. I’m all for technology if that’s what makes one comfortable but I’m also dead set against more systems that mean more maintenance. How is one going to clean the lense of that masthead camera when it gets a little salt spray and renders it useless? I do have radar which hardly gets used and have no AIS. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

More than fair. Maintenance is a pain no mater the systems. I would hope that if it is up high on the mast near the top the spray would be minimal, but I don't know for sure. Me being lazy, I might have to live without until the next rain. There are people that do have cameras so there must be some solution there.

As you say you don't need all the fancy toys, but sometimes they make things easier.

Cheers,
Peter
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:22   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKoolCat View Post
More than fair. Maintenance is a pain no mater the systems. I would hope that if it is up high on the mast near the top the spray would be minimal, but I don't know for sure. Me being lazy, I might have to live without until the next rain. There are people that do have cameras so there must be some solution there.

As you say you don't need all the fancy toys, but sometimes they make things easier.

Cheers,

Peter

https://www.oscar-navigation.com/

Developed for the Vendee Globe and used by about half of the fleet in the last edition. We looked at it for our boat but while it isn’t hugely expensive our mast head would need to be reworked and other expenses are much higher on the priority list.

Having the AI warn of a whale or FAD would be nice, and having the eye in the sky when entering unknown waters would be great. Though I suppose an auto following drone would work for the latter case, and much cheaper too?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 15:33   #23

Boat: Tartan 40
Visibility from Catamaran

Quote:

It’s a good point but my monohull is more likely to get a masthead camera salty then your catamaran right? [emoji2]

Joking aside I installed mine on a whim when I had mast down for full re-rig and so far after 2 seasons is maintenance free and lens seems clean about 40 feet above water (fixed between 2 sets of spreaders)

The idea came out of catamaran envy of being able to see ahead while down in cabin. For that it’s excellent. I also think it could be an asset in clear water for birds eye navigation.
On the Chesapeake not so much
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran