Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 17:24   #46

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
What do you folks think about a Lagoon 38? Can it circumnavigate safely? What is the headroom adjacent the galley?

Any problems with those boats?

Thanks!

FM
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 16:49   #47

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
Looking at the boats at Opua marina, NZ around Xmas is a good gauge of what is a good offshore cat.
All the major crossings seem ok enough but that last trip to NZ from the Pacific is the biggest challenge any boatie has. Many come to NZ and sell up after getting nailed in the Southern ocean. We used to see Prouts and FPs regularly. Good few Prout 33s came and went. FPs as well but didn't see any smaller ones, mostly Venezias etc.
This season we have seen Lagoon 41s and many Catanas...big ones.
Lagoons look very well built but dont know how they sail?
I have't seen any Lagoon 38 here yet but they might have come and gone. From photos they look small for offshore, but depends how many cruising.
A young family came from UK in our Prout 39, but it has a lot more space than a Lagoon 38 it seems.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 16:07   #48

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
thanks.

maybe a Lagoon 38 is a bit below the challenge of the South Pacific.

Will investigate for another Privilege 39-43 range. They'll go anywhere there is water.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 16:22   #49

I have a wharram pahi 42 for sale for under a hundred and is outfitted and can actually sail to weather. Its a little more ruff but it is a sailboat not a catomindium. Captain Cook Pahi 42 catamaran sailboat for sale
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 18:37   #50

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
In saying that many small boats have made it here, look at the 30 foot cat that the Swales sailed in, a Lagoon 38 is much bigger in comparison so should be ok. Comfort and space would be more the question. Timing it right with the weather if obviously a necessity.

I personally like mast head rigs especially in offshore boats. Rather than having to deal with large mains.
The earlier Privilege 39s seem very solid but heavy and may not be fast.
Looked at the Broadblue range? They have evolved from the earlier Prout designs.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 04:44   #51

Hi there sorry to but in but I'm also looking for some advice on buying a cat ! My hubby and I planning to sail around europe this summer and we may want to go further afield later on too. we looked at a lovely one yesterday - a privilege 37 - at Multihull world on south coast . It was totally spotless although I must admit the owner was there cleaning it ! also it's being advertised for 115 sterling just wondered what you thought of the price? it's a bit smaller than the 39 of course but it looked pretty roomy to me and also a great layout and maybe would be a bit lighter so better to sail? (haven't had a trip on it yet ) the alternative is a broadblue which is much more expensive (over 200 sterling) ofra prout but I really don't like the layout of either as much as the privilege but - I guess they are both newer. i think the newer cats do look a bit plasticy! and neither feel very roomy despite the footage. there is a boat show in may so we may wait until then to decide but what do readers here think of the 37? this one does seem to be pretty well what we are looking for but are there any problems with the 37? thanksX p.s. don't like lagoon havent heard good things about them
astraldeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 05:17   #52

Boat: Privilege 37
The Privilege 37 is only about 4inches shorter than the 39!

The one in Multihull world has significant water damage to the woodwork and will also need new windows or at least a refitting of the existing ones.

As such it is overpriced.
Old 15-04-2009, 06:05   #53

Howzabout a Maxim?

Might I be so bold as to suggest a Maxim 38? Have a look at ours at: For Sale: 2001 Maxim 38 Catamaran - USD 227,500
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:15   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruising Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraldeva View Post
Hi there sorry to but in but I'm also looking for some advice on buying a cat ! My hubby and I planning to sail around europe this summer and we may want to go further afield later on too. we looked at a lovely one yesterday - a privilege 37 - at Multihull world on south coast . It was totally spotless although I must admit the owner was there cleaning it ! also it's being advertised for 115 sterling just wondered what you thought of the price? it's a bit smaller than the 39 of course but it looked pretty roomy to me and also a great layout and maybe would be a bit lighter so better to sail? (haven't had a trip on it yet ) the alternative is a broadblue which is much more expensive (over 200 sterling) ofra prout but I really don't like the layout of either as much as the privilege but - I guess they are both newer. i think the newer cats do look a bit plasticy! and neither feel very roomy despite the footage. there is a boat show in may so we may wait until then to decide but what do readers here think of the 37? this one does seem to be pretty well what we are looking for but are there any problems with the 37? thanksX p.s. don't like lagoon havent heard good things about them
In our experience with the smaller privilege cats, is that they are very well built in terms of layup and structure and rigging. They have good bridgedeck clearance and are a solid cruising boat. they are not fast by anymeans, somewhat heavy compared to the newer boats out there. The deck/window leaks are a problem that have plaqued these boats over the years, resulting in water wicking up the eposed grain on the ply, something you cannot get rid of easily or cheaply. Newer boats such as the leopards use a realistic formica with wood edging, and this has solved a lot of staining issues.
The Privilege also has headliner problems in these older boats(as do all older boats). The engine rooms are huge, but a real pain if you want to do any real work. The cockpits in my opnion are a selling feature, as they are huge with great seating and a big table(the salon is sacrificed). this makes it a warmer climate boat, but the deck hatchges tend to be few and small.
The newer prout 38 is also a very strong boat, without the cramped quaters that the older models had(37 and 39).
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:55   #55

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
You cannot do better than a Privilege 37 at that price. They are really good boats. I went aboard one that was taking part in ARC2002 just before the start of the event and was very impressed. They then crossed the Atlantic in safety and comfort in only a day or so longer than it took me in a considerably bigger Privilege.

Go and talk to Bill Bullimore at Patrick Boyd Multihulls PBM Ltd | Patrick Boyd Multihulls Ltd . He is the UK agent for Privilege.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 11:24   #56

hi thanks for all this advice - in reply to the comments re water damage on the one in emsworth though I must say even with the water stains on some of the woodwork, I still think it looks much nicer than the plastic ones. The boat seems very clean and nice. The windows were leaking after winter (which was horrible this year!) but I know they have recently been resealed/fitted. Jeannius yes I agree - the nearest priced Privilege 37 that I can find is in the Carribean and is much more expensive at over £140,000 without VAT too!
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/Privilege-37-1548583/Caribbean/St.-Maar
ten-St.-Martin

think we want a comfortable safe cruiser rather than a super fast racer/cat.
astraldeva is offline   Reply With Quote