Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 15:42   #1

Question USCG documentation vs State Registration

If a foreign boat is purchased outside the USA, and the plan is to use it outside the USA, is there any need/benefit to register it in any state?
Isn't USCG documentation sufficient/preferred?

Since the boat will be used outside the USA, is there a requirement to pay the USCG import fee?

I assume such a USCG documented, import duty free boat could still visit the USA for a short time for repairs if needed?

I understand there are vessel documentation services....Any recommendations?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 16:33   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: USCG documentation vs State Registration

If you are a US citizen, then you can document it with Coast Guard (bunch of paper work required), there is no need for US state registration unless operating within a US state for prescribed period (different for each state), there is no state tax unless operated in the state for proscribed period (different rules for each state) there is no Federal import duty unless you bring it into the USA or its territories. Whether you can bounce in and out of the USA and not pay federal duty, I doubt it. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...on-Center-FAQ/
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 16:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet View Post
If a foreign boat is purchased outside the USA, and the plan is to use it outside the USA, is there any need/benefit to register it in any state?

Since the boat will be used outside the USA, is there a requirement to pay the USCG import fee?

I assume such a USCG documented, import duty free boat could still visit the USA for a short time for repairs if needed?

There is no benefit to state registration until you plan to have to boat in that state.

Duties are only payable when you physically bring the boat into the U.S. and are handled by CBP, not the Coast Guard. Paying import duty and CG registration have no connection to one another.

I highly recommend Kimberly at asapmarinedocs.com
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 17:51   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

One issue down the road when and if you do try to import it will be certifications of the engines for EPA regs for that year.
Old 06-07-2020, 17:55   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
One issue down the road when and if you do try to import it will be certifications of the engines for EPA regs for that year.

Yes to this if you bring it into the US. But the actual checking of the EPA labeling is highly dependent on the port of importation. It still a requirement though, but not always checked.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 18:02   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Make sure that it doesn't have those Volvo engines which were recalled in the US because of this non-compliance. I think they weren't all recalled elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Are you talking about a foreign flag or registered boat or a foreign built boat?

You asked "Isn't USCG documentation sufficient/preferred?" Sufficient for what?

The USCG does not charge import fees, US Customs does, its called "duty." A US built boat pays no import duty. A foreign built boat pays duty even if USCG documented if it has not previously been imported into the US with duty paid. (I own one. I paid 1.5% duty on the value plus a whole bunch of other Nickle and Dime government fees and charges. I would, and did use a service for this)

USCG documentation process can be real simple and inexpensive or real complicated and costly depending on the boat's history. Foreign built, foreign flagged in a foreign location can get complicated. US flagged, even in a foreign location, usually simple, no need to hire a service. I've done both. PM me if you would like to chat further.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 13:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Are you talking about a foreign flag or registered boat or a foreign built boat?

USCG documentation process can be real simple and inexpensive or real complicated and costly depending on the boat's history. Foreign built, foreign flagged in a foreign location can get complicated. US flagged, even in a foreign location, usually simple, no need to hire a service. I've done both. PM me if you would like to chat further.

Its foreign built, foreign flagged and in a foreign location. It will never live in the USA....it may visit the USA, say less than 60 days. Given this, I don't see why it would incur US duty or fees, other than the USCG documentation costs.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 14:21   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Its foreign built, foreign flagged and in a foreign location. It will never live in the USA....it may visit the USA, say less than 60 days. Given this, I don't see why it would incur US duty or fees, other than the USCG documentation costs.

So it seems the real issue here is entry regs and process. A search of the US Government archives will surely turn up all you need for that depending on owner citizenship status.

Tags
documentation, men, registration