Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 00:37   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Unbearable Lagoon Representation

What were the age of these so called lagoon reps?
I find similar with lots of things today and not trying to generation bash but younger "reps" who haven't had to try and are rewarded for fail aren't worth the air they breathe.
We never even met the broker on our boat. We went and saw it several times, not once did he front for a viewing.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:40   #32

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
My wife is the same as yours but we have run into a lot of sailors that openly admit that their wife was the primary decision maker when they bought their cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I agree that most family purchases are decided by women. But that doesn’t mean that the women always are the ones choosing so-called “women’s options”.

I am the man and I decide which boat to buy! Period!
I just need to make sure I buy a boat she loves ....

Seriously: I handle the whole transcation from start to finish. My wife has never seen any of our boats in person before the first holiday trip.

But I know what she likes and wants. I guess thats my female side
So far she has always fallen in love with my choices. She was once sceptical when I bought a FP Mahe but in the end she felt really miserable when we sold.

If I was into a completely different breed of boats (say mono) or wanted a performance cat with miserable creature comfort then I'd need a new hobby or wife.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 09:09   #33

Boat: Catalina 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
And I thank everything I can think of that my woman loved the looks and interior of our boat before I told her that I loved the boat’s looks and performance pedigree.

No need for misogynistic comments about women loving a certain type of design - some love houseboats and some love sailboats.

I agree that most family purchases are decided by women. But that doesn’t mean that the women always are the ones choosing so-called “women’s options”.

Oh lord............
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 09:22   #34

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I don't know...I was told that I could buy whatever I wanted, but if it was a monohull, I'd be sailing it alone. LOL

She has always like the Lagoons, primarily because of the perception of interior space they present. However, after looking at the Leopards and the FP's she is opening up to other options, especially after the poor treatment by the Lagoon show staff. Heck, getting aboard the Privilege Series 5 was as easy as just walking on board..... and ...drumroll....she didn't like it at all...

I am starting to think that the Leopard 45 is a very strong contender when before, all she really wanted was a L450.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 10:59   #35

Boat: L42

I was there all day Thursday and talked to probably 7 or 8 different people at the Lagoon booth. Everyone was exceedingly nice and very polite. I was able to tour all of the boats and was never rushed.

My expectations would be very different on a Saturday, and certainly you have to expect lines and compromises when it gets crazy crowded. I do agree that there is still no room to be rude. The Lagoon booth was by far the busiest, and most of the other boats had no line at all. I did really like the new Walnut interiors, but the 50 is just too big, and the bridgedeck is really VERY close and flat at its edges as it nears the hulls. I assume this is to expand the interior volume especially for the new dressing area in the master suite. It does seem as Lagoon is headed further and further away from sailing performance. Pity.

When I am actually ready to purchase, I will base my decision on the merits of the actual vessel and the reputation of the Broker or dealer. I will not rule out a make or model based on a few rude or untrained helpers in a booth on the busiest day of a show. If its a dealer or Broker that's rude, then simply switch Dealers or Brokers.

Best of luck with your decision, there are a lot of great boats out there and none are perfect.

Fair Winds!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 16:00   #36

Wow. Feel like I was at a totally different show. Everyone I talked to was friendly professional courtese and knowledgeable. I saw and toured Catalina Benenaeu Jennaeu Bavari Lagoon Balance and Outremer. Had no issues getting tours and questions asked. Sorry your experience was bad. Mine was awesome.
tfp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 18:05   #37

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

A short story relating a couple points brought up here.
I needed a new truck for work, I picked out what I wanted and told the salesman my wife would handle the negotiations. I sat back to watch(she has a business degree and is very good at it)
Every time he started talking he would soon ignore her and talk to me, even when I would remind him to deal with her.
After about 5 minutes my wife stood up and in a loud voice asked "who wants the commission on this truck we are buying? Because this idiot isn't getting it!"
We got a new salesman(sales manager at that)and the price we wanted too.
First point, if the salesman is rude or incompetent, don't let it spoil the boat, find a new dealer.
Second, there has been some comments against women in boat choices. My wife is my partner with everything in life. We make decisions together and trust each other. We utilize her strengths and mine. Why buy a boat that makes one of you miserable. Have you seen how many different boats are out there?
Hopefully you find the right boat, and dealer, and have smooth sailing into your future.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 18:16   #38
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
A short story relating a couple points brought up here.
I needed a new truck for work, I picked out what I wanted and told the salesman my wife would handle the negotiations. I sat back to watch(she has a business degree and is very good at it)
Every time he started talking he would soon ignore her and talk to me, even when I would remind him to deal with her.
After about 5 minutes my wife stood up and in a loud voice asked "who wants the commission on this truck we are buying? Because this idiot isn't getting it!"
We got a new salesman(sales manager at that)and the price we wanted too.
First point, if the salesman is rude or incompetent, don't let it spoil the boat, find a new dealer.
Second, there has been some comments against women in boat choices. My wife is my partner with everything in life. We make decisions together and trust each other. We utilize her strengths and mine. Why buy a boat that makes one of you miserable. Have you seen how many different boats are out there?
Hopefully you find the right boat, and dealer, and have smooth sailing into your future.

I believe you misinterpreted the comments supposedly against women. Maybe not enough smiley faced emojis were used? [emoji16][emoji13][emoji38][emoji15]🤪[emoji8]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 20:16   #39

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I believe you misinterpreted the comments supposedly against women. Maybe not enough smiley faced emojis were used? [emoji16][emoji13][emoji38][emoji15]🤪[emoji8]
I was reading another, more controversial, thread before this one. So I probably did read more into the comments of this thread than were meant.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:54   #40

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
very nice speech, but in the end, wife will decide for most people. And that will likely be Lagoon

so learn how to swallow your pride and bend
So true and mine won't let a rude rep stop her from the boat she wants.
Old 22-02-2018, 03:38   #41

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Our experience on Saturday was not great at the Lagoon area. We had tickets provided by the dealer rep from Maryland (Denise Hannah), and were expected since we only had the one day. The young lady took our names and told us she would call Denise to let her know, and asked us to stand aside so she could help others. I suggested we would go visit the new L40 and Denise could find us there waiting. I repeated the same thing to the young lady at the L40, asking her to let us know when Denise arrived. She also said she'd call Denise. We spent an hour looking at the 40, asked where Denise was, and the young lady told us she didn't know.

Long story short, Denise never received any calls or notifications that we were there. Then, unfortunately around 2:30 she took a bad fall, wound up in the water and had to fly home for medical attention, so her show ended prematurely. She was very disappointed to hear of our experience and passed the information along to the company president. IF we were to buy a Lagoon, by the way, it would definitely be through here.

My observations were that the young ladies seemed to be "hired helpers" who had no vested interest, but that's just a guess.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 03:37   #42

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

That post should have read, "through her!"
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 06:30   #43

Boat: Lagoon L42

Another endorsement for AYS rep Denise Hannah. Has been very helpful and upfront with us during the L42 ordering process. I hope she recovers from her fall quickly.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:22   #44

Boat: Lagoon 42

I hope the corporate office hears about this and works on this issue. I think, more then the other manufactures, Lagoon tries to limit the number of people aboard and that translates to people getting loss in the shuffle and pissed off. Can't imagine Lagoon is OK with turning off perspective buyers.

Prior to the Miami show I received emails, from a number of manufactures, asking to make a reservation to view the boats, seems like one part of the solution.

I did want to add as a recent purchaser of a Lagoon from their rep in southern California, I'm very happy with the process, boat setup and their continual support.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
Just had to say what an incredibly horrible experience we just had in Miami. Two days of trying to see the new 50 and 3 times we were told to wait for someone who would not be available for an hour or so or that we had to make an appointment at a later time. Note that there were more reps sitting around than working.

Worse. We have a lagoon on order and they didn't care a bit. Felt like we didn't matter. Can't imagine how it will be when we take delivery.

End result....canceling factory order and buying a leopard 58. The leopard team was exceptional. Good job Lagoon. Don't want to show me a boat, you obviously don't need my money.

goodbye.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Lagoon. I think everyone was a little flustered this year with the new location and maybe this through them off their game. I was a Lagoon dealer for quite some time here in Texas and always found there boat show staff to be very good. Whatever the case I guess its no excuse!

The Leopard 58 is not a bad boat for the money, in fact I think its probably the same price as the L50, however there is a reason things are cheaper normally. I would highly recommend you charter one before you try. I would also highly recommend you do not go for their dinghy lift system. The 58 in Miami had this and
Full disclosure, I am the brand manager for Fountaine Pajot here in Texas so my opinion may be viewed as a little biased. That said, here would be my advice, charter a Leopard 58 for a couple nights, charter a Ipanema 58 for a couple of nights and if Lagoon isn't totally out of the question, charter a 560. Granted this may be a little expensive, but its a big purchase. Better to be 100% sure when you pull the trigger. If not a two night charter at least sail each one.
If you are against a used boat and want something big and nice for around $1.3m there is a really nice Privilege 615 for sale. The design is a little dated but other than that she is a fantastic boat.

Best of luck on your purchase. If you ever want to chat about catamarans just give me a call. I am located in Kemah. Moving into our new office on Pier 2 in Watergate Marina this week.

James Tiernan.
IrishTexasJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon