Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 12:13   #4501

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasos View Post
This is where my three 80 panels are mounted on my SR37, two on the sterncastle roof and one on a rail above the rudder. I'm probably going to put some more panels on the cockpit tent roof and/or maybe expand the rack on the aft rail above the rudder.
I am planning to install a few panels on my sterncastle as well, thanks for the pic!
Any advice?
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:47   #4502

Boat: SeaRunner 25, SeaRunner 37, 56-foot sailing fishing trimaran, (current) Oceanic Proa, 24 feet

Couldn't find the "Start a new thread button", so apologies if this post ends up in wrong location. I'm trying to find out where my Searunner 37 "Spice" ended up. I built her in 1970, and sailed her to the Marquesas and around Hawaii before selling her to build a bigger tri.

(Below) The parties were always held on the boat with the MOST shaded deck area, not necessarily the BIGGEST boat in the anchorage! This is shot from the masthead after I'd had four rum-and-mango juices. 24, bulletproof, I'd climbed up there without a safety line, camera in one hand, "the other for myself".

She had lime green hulls and lemon-yellow decks when I sold her to Al Baroni in Hawaii in 1977. I heard he renamed her "Wizard", and repainted her blue and white, and sailed her to the Med, if that helps.

Any stories appreciated!

With Warm Aloha, Tim
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 16:01   #4503

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I met some folks on the Big Island back in the very early eighties, who called themselves the Ocean People, and were building a trip in Volcano. They introduced me to the art of Japanese furo hot tub culture. A couple years later I started construction of my Searunner 40.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 16:04   #4504
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What did you build?
This is the place, welcome aboard!

Spice the name somehow rings a bell, but certainly not those colors!
Old 11-08-2020, 16:21   #4505

Oops! Very early 70's. I started building WILDERNESS in 1974, launched in '78.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:55   #4506

Boat: SeaRunner 25, SeaRunner 37, 56-foot sailing fishing trimaran, (current) Oceanic Proa, 24 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I met some folks on the Big Island back in the very early eighties, who called themselves the Ocean People, and were building a trip in Volcano. They introduced me to the art of Japanese furo hot tub culture. A couple years later I started construction of my Searunner 40.
Not us. We started the State of Hawaii S Corporation "Ocean People, Inc" in 2017 to manage our boat construction, boat management, and youth boat-building training activities.

And it sounds cool! And easy to tell people our website: oceanpeople.org. Dah, most people know how fo spel oshun an peepul, yeah?
Old 21-08-2020, 20:03   #4507

Boat: Sea Runner 40' trimaran

Some of my Searunner 40 Original plans. If these pages could talk. Wow. I'm honored. Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20200821_200242.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	221729Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20200821_200153.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	221730
Max.Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 01:27   #4508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max.Jester View Post
Some of my Searunner 40 Original plans. If these pages could talk. Wow. I'm honored. Attachment 221729Attachment 221730
Hey Jester

I had my 37 Spice in Half Moon Bay, Pillar Point Harbor, from 1972-74, anchored on the Big Dish side of the fisherman's pier. Used to keep my dinghy under the pier, locked to one of the pilings, and park my VW at the end of the little lane that deadended at the beach. I'd imagine they won't let you do that these days; things were a lot looser back then.

I hauled her out at Vilicich's Boatworks in Tomales Bay at the end of '74, because it was the only place in the entire Bay Area that could handle a 22-foot wide boat. I built a cradle and strapped it to a 30-ton steel haulout car, and that's how I got her out of the water.

(Below) Spice out romping in The Blue Zone, with No Island in the background (courtesy Chuck Raymond, and Nancy Mosk, sailing friends whose vessel was a crazy dugout canoe).

The purpose of the haulout was to install her 6-hp diesel engine. Yeah, 6 hp. I really took Jim's advice about not overloading your boat with an oversized engine and lots of fuel. When I went cruising, I took a whole 5-gallon jerry jug of diesel along, in addition to the 1-1/2 gallons the engine held in the little tank on its top.

It was an air-cooled Farymann diesel, with a Dayco Cog-Belt drive driving a 1" prop shaft and an 11-inch folding 1st-generation Martec prop. There was no transmission, therefore no neutral or reverse. I'd put up the main and staysail, get the yankee ready to haul up, then get her pointed the way I wanted to go.

Real quick, I'd hop down below and crank up the diesel, then hotfoot it back up the companionway ladder hoping I wasn't headed in the wrong direction. Sometimes I got a surprise and had to turn the engine off and try again.

This got interesting pulling anchor in crowded anchorages in any winds above 10 knots or so. But that's another story.

With Warm Aloha, Tim
Old 23-08-2020, 04:25   #4509

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana View Post

thanks for the pic, n great choice for a color of a boat.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 01:42   #4510

Thank you thatguyrob. Sorry for the long delayed answer, I'm just back from a month's break. I'll contact Marples about the plan sheet. Cheers
jon villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 18:00   #4511

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Great to see this thread is still rocking! I will always love Searunners. I'm currently looking for a power trimaran. Design, built boat what ever. They seem to be pretty scarce, I only have one pic a nice one I have yet to track down the owner/designer/builder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.17.16 AM.jpg Views: 118 Size: 463.1 KB ID: 222341" style="margin: 2px" />
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 15:21   #4512

i just got off the horn with a guy selling a CC35. Love the boat, except for the headroom. i'm 6'2" and a berth of 6'0" just doesn't cut it. 5'10" under the bimini is not real cool either. The website says that the CC35 has 6'4" headroom, well maybe in the galley if you stand in just the right place. Otherwise, NO! Which means when the boat rocks, you bump your head. Not fun!

Does anyone know the real headroom (and length of the berths) in the SR37, SR40 or CC40?

Thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 05-09-2020, 15:36   #4513

The deal is the fiberglass foam core 38ft trimaran in yarmouth, 6,4 inch bed, 6,2 is most of cabin
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 18:32   #4514

Searunner forty:
Bunks 54"x80"
Lowest point in overhead is 77" (overhead beam aft of aft companionway is 76").
You DO have to duck your head to clear the mainstrength bulkheads, at 6' 1", but they both normally have foam edge cushions, reducing the height to six feet. But the foam is very nice.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:01   #4515

Thanks, Multihuler and Roy. Much appreciated. i thot you sold the Harris tri in Yarmouth?

jon

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran