Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 17:49   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Trimaran depth guage

Heh Fellas, I have a 30 foot Condor trimaran. Been sitting in Mexico for 7 years. Hauled her up to Napa Marina boatyard. Doing a Coppercoat bottom.

Here is the problem. I have a depth guage and speedo forward of the centerboard. Neither is operational. I will use my gps for speed. I see that there are companies that make transom mounted transducers. But my transom hung rudder could be a problem. I really would like to glass over the two holes.

Is everyone going to chirp technology for sonar/fish/depth/temp....instead of the 2" diameter holes of days of old?

I don't even own a MFD screen other than my iPad. Want to keep things simple. My draft with board up is less than 2 foot. I like skinny water but need the confidence that a depth guage brings....any help appreciated.

I saw an Airmar UDST800P ultrasonic Smart Sensor. Any opinions?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 18:34   #2

Re: Trimaran depth guage

Hi Alan,
Is your tri Quetzal? If so it looks like a very nice boat.
On my last tri I had a Garmin transducer set into toilet bowl wax in the forward bilge. It worked well until the water got really skinny (less than 2’) then it would blank out. It was a much better setup than the original Raymarine through hulls for depth and speed.
White pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 21:26   #3

Pelican, yup it is my boat. I've been on Airmar's website and reading everything i can about the device. Quite expensive...but it does, speed, temp, and depth.

Wish i could get someone to reply about the device. That was an interesting idea about the toilet wax ring and the transducer. You are the second person that has told me you don't have to have a hole in the bottom....
Old 05-05-2021, 14:19   #4

My depth stops working at about 1/2 to 3/4 metre. I think that's pretty much standard. Not so useful in real skinny water. But generally when it's that shallow you can see the bottom.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 15:03   #5

I just purchased an Airmar CHIRP thru-hull transducer (2”) to install in my boat. Fits in the same hole as the Raymarine depth ‘ducer it’s replacing.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:51   #6

C420 sailor, how exciting. Let me know or the .org know what your thoughts are on the Airmar. Very very curious.

Tags
depth, trimaran