Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42   #61

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
The difference between Spectra and Dyneema are uv resistancy, Dyneema is uv resistant.
Are you sure you aren't stretching the truth? All the sites selling Spectra webbing say that it is IS UV resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
we produce the webbing in 3 different mesh sizes , 9 mm 12 mm and 17 mm
Do you actually produce it or just sell it?

I have no experience with either, just want to make sure we have the facts straight.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43   #62

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Tramp attachment with net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacity View Post
Trampoline material for Farrier F82R Trimaran.
I've recently purchased a 6yr old F82R and I'm looking to replace both the wingnets and bownets. She currently has very undersized Fablok wingnets, and some sort of nylon or polyester open netting for bownets.

I'm interested in the Dyneema nets, however the stainless steel or rope edging is not practical on the tri because of the need to untie part of each net from the beams in order to fold the wings for trailering. I've only seen photos on the African Cats site, not been able to see the net "in the flesh". Is it possible to sew an edge with grommets onto the Dyneema, and still end up with a good smooth and strong finished net?

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Spectra and Dyneema as some websites I have visited use these names interchangably. Bryan mentioned the slipperiness of Spectra netting. Is this also the case with the Dyneema nets?

Another fabric I've been looking at is the Ferrari Précontraint polyester mesh:
Innova - Applications - Marine
Innova - Applications - Marine
Does anyone have any experience with this fabric on Cats or Tri's?

Thanks everyone for any advice you can provide.

Audacity,

I used to manufacture replacement nets for Corsair boats and am aware of the shortcomings of the nets you describe.

I like the concepts of the Dyneema product, although I have never seen it. My experience is with Spectra from Net Systems. I also like the tension rod as opposed to grommets, which are probably one of the worst choices because of concentrated point loading of a grommet.

Back to the tension rod, nylon/ss slug slides and sail track. The slug slides and sail track work very well because they can move around as needed, and basically keep everything centered. The tension rod distributes the load across the entire edge, rather than concentrating it at a single point like a grommet.

To do a work around and still use the tension rods, this is what i have done. Keep the rods, but instead of just lacing the the tensioning rope around the rod or the slug slide, use a small clevis at that lacing point. I don't think you need to do this everywhere, just as places where you need to loosen the tramp to fold the ama up. When you are going to fold up, just loosen the tension rope, and disconnect the clevises as needed. I have used the clevis when I have to attach a tramp to an ss cable (which will chew everything over time) and they work very well.

This creates a semi-quick release lacing system (as opposed to completely unlacing and relacing each time you need to fold the tramp).

Any questions just email me.

Bryan
bryanweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
the Dyneema we use is uv resistant and has a uv coating, the products are made by 2 different company,s Dyneema by DSM and Spectra by Honeywell, both are equally strong , lightweight and have a very low stretch , no more than 2 % , they are lighter than water so the net floats. We have the netting produced for our cats and sell to other interested people.
So far we have 5 years of experience and the placed nets of 5 years old still are in very good condition.

We do send out samples for anybody interested in 3 different mesh sizes
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16   #64

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
44'CruisingCat, we've done a lap of the pacific, and even though we've never seen anything more than 35 knots (consistent)... we've seen how powerful ocean waves are. we know of two cats who have had serious cross beam damage due to waves/water hitting the trampoline. we'd strongly suggest the open weave (big holes) spectra netting. you get zero water accumulation on it. you can use throw cushions for lounging. crocks work great for working on it. this is an important decision! good sailing... kiapa
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 13:37   #65

Thanks Kiapa, I have moved away from the webbing idea, and will be using a knotless open weave net.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 13:41   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kiapa.
Thanks for your experienced advice!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 22:31   #67

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thanks Kiapa, I have moved away from the webbing idea, and will be using a knotless open weave net.

Netting Products | NET Systems, Inc. | Trawl Nets | Trawl Doors | Codends & Brailers | Ultra Cross Netting | Catamaran Netting

CAll and talk to Steve Paterson about what you need. They can often times add on to a run of what they are making for the little amount our boats use. They also often have remnants that are big enough.

I have no interest in this, I just know the guys and the products.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 12:04   #68
DtM

bump for Scott
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:54   #69

Our cat has Dyneema trampolines. They came with the boat from new. The tramps are only 19 months old and have already begun disintegrating. In fact, holes began appearing six months ago - after just 13 months - and fresh holes are appearing almost every week. Needless to say we will be looking to replace them soon with another material.

Looks like the Spectra is the way to go then? What lifespan should one reasonably expect from good quality tramps?
nautilass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 19:35   #70

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Dyneema and Spectra are different trade names for the same material, so you won't find relief with spectra.

I'm surprised your dyneema tramps are disintegrating so soon. This is unusual for the material. By holes, do you mean broken webbing strands, or do you have (mostly) solid netting? Is it the sun that is doing the damage?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 20:31   #71

The holes are forming because the woven Dyneema strands are 'fluffing' and thinning due to traffic and chafe more than anything else. The worst affected areas being up near the sail lockers which get the highest traffic.We have seen precisely the same problem on another cat with the same Dyneema tramps installed. Even so, we also have odd strands of the (small but very open) Dyneema weave breaking clean too - with no chafe discernible. We don't think it is a UV degradation, but can't be sure. The problem might be exacerbated by the manner in which the Dyneema has been woven that makes it more vulnerable to chafe, due to the slightly uneven surface. Some chafe has certainly been due to the friction of the lashings binding it to the stainless steel rods that thread through it, that's for sure.
nautilass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 00:47   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo Nautilass

can you please send a few pictures of the webbing , we sell Dyneema webbing and the first net installed over 6 years ago is still in very good condition, what is the mesh size,the way it is woven and how was the connection made ?
Dyneema is very UV resistant and we give a 5 year guarantee .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00069.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	17123  
Attached Images

Old 17-06-2010, 01:11   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Netting Products | NET Systems, Inc. | Trawl Nets | Trawl Doors | Codends & Brailers | Ultra Cross Netting | Catamaran Netting

CAll and talk to Steve Paterson about what you need. They can often times add on to a run of what they are making for the little amount our boats use. They also often have remnants that are big enough.

I have no interest in this, I just know the guys and the products.

Thanks for the info. Actually through a friend I got a great deal on net - the net which is used to keep seals out of the fish farms in Tasmania.

It's made to withstand constant exposure to the weather, and to stand up to 200+kg seals leaping onto it trying to pinch farm salmon. So it's very strong and UV resistant.

I got an offcut - the fish farms are round, the netting comes in rectangles, so there are nice big offcuts - got more than enough to make both trampolines for $20 plus $30 postage from Tas!

To look at, it is very similar to the pic Fastcat just posted.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 09:21   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilass View Post
Our cat has Dyneema trampolines. They came with the boat from new. The tramps are only 19 months old and have already begun disintegrating. In fact, holes began appearing six months ago - after just 13 months - and fresh holes are appearing almost every week. Needless to say we will be looking to replace them soon with another material.

Looks like the Spectra is the way to go then? What lifespan should one reasonably expect from good quality tramps?

Hallo Nautilass , can you post some pictures of your trampolines please ?

Greetings
Old 22-06-2010, 17:07   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
I have a use for old tramps so, if you are tossing them please let me know.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote