Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 10:14   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Ladies of a certain age have an in built aversion to a tramp. Is that a plus?

After going for over a week having to make all kinds of concessions to a guest that (let's just say she was well fed) I love having tramps.
They serve as a repellent!

My wife and I now have a firm rule on the boat. NO FAT CHICKS!

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 19:55   #17

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
trampolines certainly can be fun

schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 12:54   #18

Boat: catalac 8M catamaran 27ft
I'm kind of asking myself the same question...
Solid foredeck or Trampoline...

In the boat size and age I'm looking at this seems to go with salon headroom or not. The ones with trampolines don't have headroom in the salon, some of the boats with solid foredeck do have standing headroom in the salon...

I agree, a solid foredeck is heavier but if the boat is constructed this way, what are the other drawbacks to it?
As a positive, I guess it also leaves room for a proper anchor windlass, no idea where I would fit this on a small cat with a trampoline...

Is the solid foredeck really so bad?
Does anybody know (first hand) of accidents due to solid foredecks ?
Has anybody ever attempted to cut-out his foredeck and install a trampoline to gain weight? (sounds like a big job to me, again what would be the benefits ???)

As for installing chairs on the foredeck, just as easy lie in the trampoline and not to worry about carrying chairs all over the boat

Djeeke
Old 18-03-2009, 13:26   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
A solid deck gives more room,this is for sure, and if your not in the really bad weather its not going to matter- How often are you going out in 20'+ seas? And I would not cut the deck out for a tramp- no way! Some of the big Prouts have have these decks and have went around the world many times!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 13:28   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Djeeke, cutting out the foredeck of a boat designed and built to have one would be a decidedly bad idea: one can virtually guarantee that the remaining bridgedeck would not be strong enough to resist racking and ultimately, damage. Furthermore, you can guarantee that the bows would not be designed or built with sufficient strength to support the aluminum crossmember/dolphin striker necessary to support the forestay. In short, don't even think about it.

Really, in the price range and size that you are considering, I wouldn't let the presence or absence of a solid foredeck be a determining factor. As to mounting a windlass, I have separate bow rollers/windlasses on each bow rather than a single one foreward of the saloon - so yes, there are other places to mount a windlass, regardless of whether you have a solid foredeck.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 13:31   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
. Now...If I can just find a way to build in a refer/cooler....
Rick I saw a boat like yours in the EU that the fellow built 2 large coolers where the front windows were -no windows but lots of coolers
Old 18-03-2009, 13:32   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Kanter states that solid foredecks are only found on "narrow" cats (<50% beam/length) because on standard (50%) or wide Cats (>50%) it puts too much weight in the bows and causes excessive pitching motion and problems with burying the bow. Having a narrow cat with a solid bridgedeck I can attest to issues with bridgedeck slamming under certain conditions. Interestingly, once in a steep following sea, I dug the bows in rather deeply. To my surprise rather than digging in, when the water hit the large angled flat area between my bows it lifted the bows rather than making them dig in. It seems that the large planing surface and increased bouyancy lifting the bows was much greater than the additional weight causing them to dig in.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 13:47   #23

ooops

I would not consider cutting up a cat, just wondering what would be the advantages
Indeed you would lose a lot of the structural strength built in as that deck is supposed to be there

Bill that is an interesting remark...
Mi idea would be that submerging the solid foredeck would keep the whole bow under as a relatively big mass of water would be above the foredeck.
But you are right, it also makes sense that there is a lot more bouyancy as the foredeck itself has its own bouyancy too...
Hence the bow would even raise out of the water quicker than a boat with a trampoline...
(which might not be digging in at all as there is less weight...)

I love this discussion and Bill's remark will hopefully attract some more reactions !!!

Old 18-03-2009, 15:03   #24

Cats have plenty of room for louging aft. You can lay down on a tramp and watch the stars....................
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 15:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Cats have plenty of room for louging aft. You can lay down on a tramp and watch the stars....................
Well, you can't lay on that tramp if the cat does not have a tramp...
And, as mentioned, in my humble budget a cat with a tramp will not have standing headroom in the salon...
Old 18-03-2009, 15:55   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have seen many cats arriving in Curacao from Aruba, that had their tramps hanging like a rag because the force from the slamming seas just took it off, incl mounting hardware. Many of these cats were big, like Voyage 440's.

Imagine what it would have been like with a solid deck instead of trampoline....

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 16:03   #27
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have seen many cats arriving in Curacao from Aruba, that had their tramps hanging like a rag because the force from the slamming seas just took it off, incl mounting hardware. Many of these cats were big, like Voyage 440's.

Imagine what it would have been like with a solid deck instead of trampoline....

cheers,
Nick.
Ive seen those type of tramps that do not let much water through, and wile they are nice to lay on there not much good if you bury the bow- I like the fish net type with 2-3 inch holes. no amount of water is going to tear these kind up unless they are rotten
Old 18-03-2009, 16:15   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Ive seen those type of tramps that do not let much water through, and wile they are nice to lay on there not much good if you bury the bow- I like the fish net type with 2-3 inch holes. no amount of water is going to tear these kind up unless they are rotten
The tramps weren't torn... they were in one piece mostly. They came off incl. the mounting hardware, both the slider-based and lotsa-pad-eye based hardware. But the tramps were all that special tramp-material, never fishing-nets...

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 16:37   #29

So a boat with a solid foredeck has less hardware that can break (or needs maintenance,replacement, ...).
which is a plus for them...

I think they will be solid enough, maybe not fun in such weather but since a bunch of them has circumnavigated they should be able to survive this kind of sea... I have not read anything about one breaking apart yet...
Old 18-03-2009, 17:00   #30
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
So a boat with a solid foredeck has less hardware that can break (or needs maintenance,replacement, ...).
which is a plus for them...

I think they will be solid enough, maybe not fun in such weather but since a bunch of them has circumnavigated they should be able to survive this kind of sea... I have not read anything about one breaking apart yet...
I dont think any of them are going to break apart- the worst that I see happening is a pitch pole and thats not going to be fun- I think it depends on who's sailing the boat and how strong the storm is-if a pitch pole would happen