Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 13:29   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Tramp Styles and Suppliers

You guys gotta quit wearing your heels when walking on the tramp! Ha! Just Kidding!

Lots of good info here and I'll hang onto it as I'll be doing this in a year or two..
Old 27-06-2018, 02:10   #17

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

As requested

Dyneema braided netting, folded over & free edge laced on to main netting with net twine (caries no load). Dynema 8mm rope threaded inside the folded edge. Laced onto hull rail with 8mm dynema which passes through the netting holes and around the 8mm dyneema edge rope. Thus to come adrift the 8mm dynema will need to break or be cut (neither is likely)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	172544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	172545  

Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 02:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Hhmm, I had the opposite experience with Multihullnets. Their price was 3x the price of a sail loft in South Africa (even after shipping).

I ended up having Tony from Ullman Sails make ours out of Supertramp material. That was 3 years ago and they still look like brand new. We have since have multiple buddy boats get tramps made by him with the same good results and price.
Well, I never said they were cheap

What is "supertramp"...source???

Cheers
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 02:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Thanks for the info Multi-hulls.

Another question I have about these tramps.

I've heard people mention treating their tramps with some sort of protectorant. Do any of you do this and what product are you using?
I would say only for a fabric like...

https://www.sailrite.com/Trampoline-Mesh-Soft-White-63

Multihullnets/sunrise sells a coating specifically for it...
Old 27-06-2018, 04:05   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Just replaced our Athena net with 13x13mm polyester woven net from Francetrampoline. Really comfortable to walk on, very reasonable price, the best tramp we have had in 5 cats and 1 tri.
The company are typically French idiosyncratic to deal with, but make a good product and reasonable shipping charges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20180627_12_51_51_Pro.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	172556  
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 05:16   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-hulls View Post
Well, I never said they were cheap

What is "supertramp"...source???

Cheers
Cheap they are not. Not sure how they justify thier prices. Oh well..

Here is a picture of Supertramp from ATN's website.

We have seen posts that its not good for offshore, but we know more than a couple of boats that circumnavigated with it. Like I said, we did the thorny path with it and it still looks like new 3 years later.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 19:16   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

We have seen posts that its not good for offshore, but we know more than a couple of boats that circumnavigated with it. Like I said, we did the thorny path with it and it still looks like new 3 years later.

It’s not the mesh style or material that matters for offshore use, but the ‘openness’ of the net. It’s about how much of a barrier your net is for water from above and air from below. For coastal use or relatively small tramps you can use a tighter weave or mesh, which is generally more comfortable.

We have large front tramps and for the Category A rating Outremer said minimum 86% openness - pretty much only braided mesh is that open.

We recently re-netted with 22mm braided polyester netting in black that we ordered from a fishing supply company in Australia. We edged it with 8mm polyester double braid (threaded it through the mesh about three squares in from the edge, then rolled the extra up and lashed it with 1.5mm polyester line around the mesh roll and the line) and then put in 1.5mm polyester lashings every 10cm. Pre-stretching the tramps was the biggest PITA, followed closely by the 220 or so lashings I had to attach, tension, re-tension, and tie off.

When we have to do it again in 10 years hopefully we’ll have the money to order complete nets from multihullnets.com, but if I don’t count my labour DIY was about 1/3 the cost.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 22:07   #23

Quote:

Well, that looks exactly like the mesh I just purchased from Sailrite.

I calculated ATN price based on the dimension of my F9ax wingnet and unless I am doing something wrong, came up with a price of about $1300 per wing net! OUCH, that is almost twice the cost of the same net from Sunrise ($1600 set of 2).

I need to decide on my boltrope construction...then off to the sweatshop...

Cheers
Old 29-06-2018, 05:35   #24

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

I had to replace my old webbing tramps after 10 years--they were excellent and were glued and sewn at each join. I made the mistake of replacing with Ferrari cloth which on our first outing ripped off after going hard on the wind in 40 knots. Then on the trip back, they buried the bows and we broached offshore... after getting back home, they were replaced with netting that was great--if I was doing it again I'd go for the dyneema--it's magic stuff. The polyester I got was just a bit too stretchy..
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:01   #25

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-hulls View Post
Well, that looks exactly like the mesh I just purchased from Sailrite.

I calculated ATN price based on the dimension of my F9ax wingnet and unless I am doing something wrong, came up with a price of about $1300 per wing net! OUCH, that is almost twice the cost of the same net from Sunrise ($1600 set of 2).

I need to decide on my boltrope construction...then off to the sweatshop...

Cheers
My completed nets (with borders, ropes, everything) were actually cheaper than $1600 including shipping to the USA. From the loft I posted above.

However, who knows maybe my nets are much smaller than yours.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:44   #26

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
The polyester I got was just a bit too stretchy..

I've often wondered about whether stretch is a useful characteristic or not. Surely the less stretch the higher the loading on the attachment points.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:33   #27

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
I've often wondered about whether stretch is a useful characteristic or not. Surely the less stretch the higher the loading on the attachment points.

More tension in the net surface and less give, whether through stretch of the net material or due to low tension, is less comfortable to walk on. Given the amount of tension in a well strung net I don’t think there’s proportionately much added load due to less stretchy net material.

We pre-stretched our polyester braided nets - staked them out in a large garage for 2 months, using come alongs to keep the tension up. On the longest measurement (4.2m) they stretched less than 1 cm. They’ll surely stretch some more over time but not so much as to matter I think - can always retighten the lashings.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:55   #28

Boat: Outremer 50S

For the other side of the world, Gordon at Multihull Tramps in Bundaberg works in several different materials and did a really nice job for us in knotless UHMWPE.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:52   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450

We just had new nets made for our Lagoon 450 by Ullman Sails in Cape Town. Supertramp material. Incredibly comfy compared to our original nets.

Hopefully they deal with poor weather conditions OK - all the Robinson & Cain boats going into the Mooring/Sunsail charter fleet have the same material and many are delivered from Cape Town to Caribbean/Asia - so must be safe enough!

Total cost ex-shipping was $680.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2018-08-12 at 10.06.04.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	175535  
Millerslocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:00   #30
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerslocal View Post
We just had new nets made for our Lagoon 450 by Ullman Sails in Cape Town. Supertramp material. Incredibly comfy compared to our original nets.

Hopefully they deal with poor weather conditions OK - all the Robinson & Cain boats going into the Mooring/Sunsail charter fleet have the same material and many are delivered from Cape Town to Caribbean/Asia - so must be safe enough!

Total cost ex-shipping was $680.

Nice looking tramps and a great price!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp