Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2012, 17:19   #1

Tradewinds 28

Hey All

This is my 1st post here so a big hello to everyone! I recently watched the Tradewinds 28 on ebay sell and couldn't help but think what a really sweet tri that is. If that had been on the East Coast, I may have been tempted. The lines are gorgeous. Very nice for an under 30 tri.
I've looked around and there isn't much info about these. I would love to get more info on this little beauty. If anyone has the scoop on this, please share. Thanks
Moe R.
Moe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 19:25   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Tradewinds 28

There's lots of info on the Weeb about these boats.
This particular one i was looking at myself,,its a real beauty for sure,,i love the lines.
Heres a link with specs.
TRADEWINDS 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 19:32   #3

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

This one is out your way,,,looks like a real nice boat. 1997 Renovated Searunner 31 Trimaran sailboat for sale in Outside United States

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 20:01   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Tradewinds 28 looks very interesting. I have never seen one under sail, but it looks like a sweet trimaran for its size.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 20:14   #5

Not a very good vid but I believe this is the one that sold. I would love to see something like this built in the low 30 to mid 40 ft range. I'm surprised a builder hasn't made this design available to the sailing public. A better mouse trap if you will. Looks like a timeless design 50ish yrs later :^) If I could buy the plans, I'd concider having this built. Enjoy the vid.

Old 23-04-2012, 17:12   #6

Just wanted to thank you all for your replies. Please feel free to add any info on the tradewinds 28 that you may have.
Old 23-04-2012, 17:21   #7

Pretty cool looking tri for sure.... not such a boxy looking design....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:08   #8

I bought a tradewinds 28 recently. It is the only Fixed-Wing version in existence, having been expertly modified, after it's original purchase, by the first owner. I also know the gentleman with the tradewinds that recently sold there on Ebay. He has put a lot of work into that boat since it's day back there on the youtube video (that IS the same trimaran, by the way) and it shows beautifully today. Someone got a good deal!!! I see it often, as it's been in the same marina as mine is. In fact, that gentleman who, until recently, owned it was responsible for helping me acquire my Tradewinds 28, and I'll always owe him thanks for that.

These are a sweet design.They are seriously underestimated by some people though. They can get out of control if you overpower their headsails, yes... But the mainsail alone cannot overpower the boat, and when best trimmed with the proper headsails for the conditions, will take it to striking speeds, but only if you do it just right...lol. It keeps the undeserving and poorly educated sailors out of the "secret slot" as it were...If I get any pictures taken anytime soon, and remember, I'll post them. My Fixed Wing Tradewinds 28 is named "Key Lime Tri" by the way, and I invite you to keep you eye out for it in San Fransisco Bay, and surrounding areas...Let me know if you spot me. and take a picture, lol
RRivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRivit View Post
I bought a tradewinds 28 recently. It is the only Fixed-Wing version in existence, having been expertly modified, after it's original purchase, by the first owner. I also know the gentleman with the tradewinds that recently sold there on Ebay. He has put a lot of work into that boat since it's day back there on the youtube video (that IS the same trimaran, by the way) and it shows beautifully today. Someone got a good deal!!! I see it often, as it's been in the same marina as mine is. In fact, that gentleman who, until recently, owned it was responsible for helping me acquire my Tradewinds 28, and I'll always owe him thanks for that.

These are a sweet design.They are seriously underestimated by some people though. They can get out of control if you overpower their headsails, yes... But the mainsail alone cannot overpower the boat, and when best trimmed with the proper headsails for the conditions, will take it to striking speeds, but only if you do it just right...lol. It keeps the undeserving and poorly educated sailors out of the "secret slot" as it were...If I get any pictures taken anytime soon, and remember, I'll post them. My Fixed Wing Tradewinds 28 is named "Key Lime Tri" by the way, and I invite you to keep you eye out for it in San Fransisco Bay, and surrounding areas...Let me know if you spot me. and take a picture, lol
Thanks
I would be looking out for u but I'm a little East of you. Would love to see some pic's of your rig.
Moe R
Old 24-04-2012, 11:22   #10

A broken camera, and a broken wallet for anything but the boat right now, assures that any picture you see of KEY LIME TRI soon will be taken by an observer, seeing of one of my "flyby's"...lol
Old 24-04-2012, 11:36   #11

I e-mailed someone who used to own a Tradeswinds 28 and he was kind enough to e-mail me the sales brochure for the TW 28. He is a member of the forum here.
So a big thanks to Jerry FitzGerald. Jerry also mentioned in his e-mail that "The TW 28 is long gone,the molds are gone and the factory has been empty for years". Too bad Please see the attached and enjoy!

Moe R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TW 28 1.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	40325   Click image for larger version

Name:	TW 28 2.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	40326  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TW 28 3.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	40327   Click image for larger version

Name:	TW 28 4.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	40328  

Old 24-04-2012, 11:50   #12

YOU ROCK!!! THIS IS AWESOME
Did I forget to mention that the entire interior had been stripped from mine when i bought it?? Now, I do have something to look at and replicate...Dude, thank you so much!
Old 24-04-2012, 11:54   #13

one more thing...does ANYONE know who I might go to to have sails replicated to match original logos and in the exact size for this beast?? I can't find a Tradewinds 28 mainsail to save my life...
Old 24-04-2012, 13:40   #14

I've been marked as a terrorist by the forum. Tried to post a 28 for sale in Pillar Point Harbour and mods won't let thru. U find it if ur interested. Wow !
If it was on the East Coast, It might interest me. Since it's not, I thought someone here might be. Thanks mods or computer. Good Job. You've foiled another attempt to undermine the world hahahahahaha. Whatever
Old 24-04-2012, 13:43   #15

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine