Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 16:55   #1

Boat: Custom
Tobago 35

A while ago, one of the members here suggested this model as a possible maybe for our boat list.

A few are for sale in the pacific and I believe I can pick one up and get it to Australia, imported etc for a half reasonable price, certainly within my budget.

To those that know, what would you consider the pros and cons of this 1996 model, things to look out for etc. the good the bad and the ugly?

Our background is decades of mono sailing but this would be our first Multi. We would mainly do coastal cruising for upto a week at a time with a trip once a year for up to 3 weeks and of course weekends.

I thought it might be a good boat to get our bearings over 2-3 years in a cat before trading up to something bigger, and newer potentially.

My wife and I have 2 children (8 & 11) and 2 medium dogs (Labrador)

The one we are looking at has had the 3rd cabin converted to a workshop so that would need to be changed back.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Tobago 35

That would have been me James. The Tobago has been on my short-list for a while. It really is a "little big boat" as in it has the dual diesels, 3 cabins etc. The next step up is the Antigua (getting to be a little older now) and the Athena 38.

They certainly do seem to be a reasonably good blue-water cruiser and probably fantastic for the South Pacific and Australia with distances of around 180nm per day readily achievable. The front bunks are large versus the Antigua which has faster skinnier hulls with bunks running front to back which pretty much means that you have to sleep on the engines at the rear.

Seems that many owners convert the rear bunk opposite the head into a workshop which leaves the two large doubles up front. I'd probably do the same depending on the number of pax, plus you're not sleeping on the engines that way.

There was one in Tonga for sale late last year that was on all of the Australian boat websites. It was 108k-euros so around $175k incl taxes & duties + delivery. At the time it was remarkably cheap. It had all new sails, canvas covers on everything, great order, fresh antifoul, one re-built engine, 8,000 hours on one and 4,500 on the other. Around that time another one in Qld sold for $235,000 AUS local.

I have a survey and some photos from the Tonga one James if you are interested to know what it might look like in detail. PM me with your email and I'll send it through. There is a chance that the one you are looking at might be the same one. It was called Flina and sold from an Austrain owner to another Austrain. (did the dirty on the Australian agent) - only thinking this due to the workshop conversion.

I also have a stack of photos from some over in Europe if you want those. I've been looking at one for 50,000euros that needs sails rigging and engine work - could be a fun project.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:41   #3

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I have the current owners email if you want it.
PM if you do.
It seems like a nice boat and I am told it's in Vanuatu or was recently.
FPs are good boats, the Tobago has a very good reputation.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Contacting the owners can be a good idea, but be careful with that approach as if they are using a broker, the broker might get upset about it- they are a little touchy with buyers contacting the owners directly.

Remember that the broker is there (or at least are supposed to be) to protect the interests of the buyer, so if you arrange something with the owner that the broker doesn't know about, you might end up with the short straw.

Good luck J123, it looks like a nice machine and I was impressed with the amount of gear she had onboard last time she sold, eg, divecompressor etc.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 00:31   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Things to look for is stainless steel deck heardwear like hinges and latches they get bad as well as ss rigging.

Tags
Tobago