Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 00:37   #16

Re: To start out ... and to learn ...

I don’t own a boat, I crew, did lots of coastal races on 40’ mono’s and lately have been playing on Corsair trimarans, love the Tris they get in the groove upwind and sail similar to monos without the rolling, the depression of the Lee float is a guide to heeling pressure which cats lack. For cruising however a cat has a better payload than a tri, short handed multi’s don’t wear you down like monos do.
If it’s about the sailing get a Tri, if it’s about the comfort and space and 3-4 peoples get a cat.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 06:37   #17

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Soulseer,

If what you want is a cat, by all means get a cat. Get an experienced cat sailor on board and you will learn quickly. A dinghy will teach you sailing quickly, but is not the only way to learn.

There are many Gemini on the Chesapeake, and in my opinion these boats are well suited for sailing Maine to the Bahamas. Friends own one as their first cruiser and they certainly travel in comfort and have a great time.

My catamaran is home ported on the Chesapeake. If I can help you get a fast start sailing your own catamaran send me a PM.
Old 14-09-2020, 08:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Soulseer,

If what you want is a cat, by all means get a cat. Get an experienced cat sailor on board and you will learn quickly. A dinghy will teach you sailing quickly, but is not the only way to learn.

There are many Gemini on the Chesapeake, and in my opinion these boats are well suited for sailing Maine to the Bahamas. Friends own one as their first cruiser and they certainly travel in comfort and have a great time.

My catamaran is home ported on the Chesapeake. If I can help you get a fast start sailing your own catamaran send me a PM.
Thanks - definitely will do!
Soulseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 13:31   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
From reasons regularly expressed on this Forum - the choice of mono vs. cat is largely dictated by the wife.

No one who knows me would call me any sort of feminist, but the repeated mantra on this forum that a wife will always choose a boat for non-sailing qualities (or rather, anti-sailing qualities) and a husband will choose a boat for sailing qualities really grinds my gears. I’m surely not the only one who’s wife’s primary requirement was sufficient sailing ability such that we could sail off a lee shore in unpleasant conditions?

Though it is a fact that women control the vast majority of household large purchases https://www.businessinsider.com/info...ica-2012-2?amp. Let’s not be sexist about it.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 14:39   #20

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
No one who knows me would call me any sort of feminist, but the repeated mantra on this forum that a wife will always choose a boat for non-sailing qualities (or rather, anti-sailing qualities) and a husband will choose a boat for sailing qualities really grinds my gears. I’m surely not the only one who’s wife’s primary requirement was sufficient sailing ability such that we could sail off a lee shore in unpleasant conditions?

Though it is a fact that women control the vast majority of household large purchases https://www.businessinsider.com/info...ica-2012-2?amp. Let’s not be sexist about it.
I haven't seen anything like what you are describing but my wife likes the non-heeling and the abundance of space. It was nothing to do with non-sailing qualities. Let's face it, men don't like to sail alone. Men will sail on a 2x12 board with a pole and bedsheet for a sail if needed but women sailing with us makes us better people. If it was a choice of sailing a 60' ketch alone or 40' cat with my lovely wife, hands down the cat. If the wife is included in choosing the boat, she has ownership and most willing to participate in the journey. Make sure she has a water maker and genset, life will be very pleasant. On this forum, most men are smart enough to include the wife in the purchase process and not to exclude them from the boat and journey. Please reread the posts in this light and see if it still bothers you. If it was your interpretation, we didn't mean it that way. We strongly urge new boat owners to include their significant other. Thanks Kevin.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 16:28   #21

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m surely not the only one who’s wife’s primary requirement was sufficient sailing ability such that we could sail off a lee shore in unpleasant conditions?.
My wife would be in the same camp as yours. When we raced Corsair trimarans for almost 12 years, she was the one with the tiller in her hand.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 19:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
Let's face it, men don't like to sail alone..
********, speak for yourself.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote