Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 11:58   #1

To live a dream? No experience sailing

I am from a land locked province in Canada, I had done a whitsundays sailing charter in Australia when I was in my twenties and fell in love but that was as far as it went. Since then I have settled down with a wife and two kids under five but just recently for whatever reason have a desire to buy a liveaboard boat and start sailing before my kids need to be in school. My plan would be to sail from Vancouver island to the Carribean and make a ton of stops along the way. Am I totally ridiculous to think this is possible to take a sailing course and wing it the rest of the way?
Jarsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: To live a dream? No experience sailing

Welcome Aboard CF Jarsy!

Every person here has a dream or did. Yours is not uncommon, so you will find lots of company and help here.

Good luck pursuing your dream and I hope you enjoy your time in CF too.

I will send you (or anyone who asks) a Private Message with some of my favorite tips on quickly finding some answers in CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarsy View Post
I am from a land locked province in Canada, I had done a whitsundays sailing charter in Australia when I was in my twenties and fell in love but that was as far as it went. Since then I have settled down with a wife and two kids under five but just recently for whatever reason have a desire to buy a liveaboard boat and start sailing before my kids need to be in school. My plan would be to sail from Vancouver island to the Carribean and make a ton of stops along the way. Am I totally ridiculous to think this is possible to take a sailing course and wing it the rest of the way?
Whether you can do it or not depends pretty much on how badly you want it. Having said that a couple of thoughts. You should consider starting in eastern North America. Going from Lake Ontario or New England to the Caribbean is much easier than going from Vancouver. It is shorter and you do not have to go upwind through the Caribbean. Also you posted this in the multihull forum, you might want to start where multihulls are more available than in BC. A good place to buy one is in the Caribbean. This way you avoid having to get to the Caribbean when you are inexperienced.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:31   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

No, it's not ridiculous. As long as you don't do anything completely irrational like trying to make your first leg from Vancouver to Baja California. Vancouver to Seattle would be more like it. Stay close to shore and make short legs (daysail) until you gain confidence, and move only when the weather is good. Always have a plan B and a plan C for what you will do at any point if things go wrong. You'll PROBABLY be OK if you do all of these.

The reality is that no matter how experienced you are, there is always something waiting that goes beyond your experience and will test you, your judgement, and your boat. Just try to minimize the magnitude and likelihood of these as best you can, and live the dream!!!

But do get at least some experience before you go...

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:34   #5

do you think I would be able to run a 46 ft trimaran by myself with little to no help? I just have no idea what I am getting into.
Jarsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:46   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Too late in the season now, but start by sailing local. Find a lake close with a sailing club, or marina and hitch a ride. Walking the docks and talking to anyone on their boat usually gets it going.
Things should get rolling by may.
I started with the same dream although I'm in alberta. If you find yourself out this way I will gladly take you sailing:-)
Otherwise look at buying in the Caribbean. In fact some charters will deduct the charter price(or some of it) if you buy the boat. Hire a capt or instructor for a few days or until you are comfortable.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 15:41   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
do you think I would be able to run a 46 ft trimaran by myself with little to no help? I just have no idea what I am getting into.
No.

It depends?

If the boat was set up right and you had the experience to use to use it, then everything is possible. The real answer to you question depends on available time and available money.

Our road from prairie to sailiors took two summers worth of chartering and more cash than I can now afford. We did a couple of cruise and learns and then chartered a smaller boat and joined a flotilla up to the Broughtons. After that we've continued to add to our sailing resume and this fall I crewed a friend's boat from Vancouver to LA.

So after 4 years, I think I could get my own boat, if properly prepared, down the coast.

Your milage (and degree of self-confidence) may vary.
Old 11-11-2016, 17:06   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For this dream to come to fruition check out Trente Pied's 4 steps (posted in a similar thread last week.)

If your wife is not involved at this point, while it is she who most likely will bear the brunt of the child care following your dream, the two of you must come to an agreement about how to make it fun for her, too. "Happy wife, happy life".

The easiest way for you to begin is to get a small dinghy daysailer, that you could trailer to local lakes. This way, your purchase cost is least, and you avoid berthing charges. Then sail the you know what out of it! See if y'all have fun. See if you really like it. If you all do, then you might consider re-locating, and sail the Great Lakes during the season. Eventually, think about a passage making boat.

I truly think your dream is a possible one to achieve, but I think there are hurdles to get over before any kind of a long term cruise will really be possible. When Jim and I were working, it was only weekends and vacations we could sail. What we found was that it took a lot more lining up of our financial ducks before we were able to leave and become full time cruisers.

I feel you are minimizing the potential slow-downs for attaining your dream. I don't mean this cruelly, but I think it is absurd on the basis of a week in the warm waters of the Whitsunday Is. to think you're qualified to take your family on a 46 foot trimaran anywhere on the water. You have a lot to learn. It CAN be learned, but you need to show a little respect to the weather gods and the ocean. It is not like buying a camper or caravan and driving to AK and back.

Yes it is doable, now start setting attainable goals.

Ann
Old 11-11-2016, 17:28   #9

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Met a guy, Had the dream,sold the combine store in Weyburn Bought a 42' ferro pinky schooner in Victoria, wife ,two grown daughters as crew .Nobody ever sailed before but did Mexico.Marques, Fiji and home again .(before GPS) Wonderful adventure for all. Sold boat, soon dead of cancer. Learned ... of course it can be done and ,,,don't put it off. You'd be hard pressed to find a better place to learn than a season on the Salish Sea Then offshore or a condo.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 17:46   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

As for a person with a life partner and two kids under five, you are full of I, me and mines.

I think you should ask your partner up first, then consider how your plan could affect the kids.

Etc.

There are families with children who cruise and are happy doing so. But they are unlikely to be led by individuals with just one charter and a sailing course under his belt. Sailing is not THAT simple.

You are not totally ridiculous. Few people are.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 17:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

About 15yrs ago I surveyed a 42' Catalina for a guy who had never even been on a sailboat. it took him two weeks to load the boat and his first time leaving the dock (solo) he headed for the Caribbean. I got an email from him a year later "in Trinidad, having a great time".

He was a pretty smart, competent type with lots of mechanical skills and ...... no kids.

It ain't as complicated as some make it out to be but it can be done with some self education and if you have some basic smarts and are technically competent . Don't think I'd risk that with kids tho'
Old 11-11-2016, 20:14   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

You might find inspiration from Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, the winner of the first Vendee Globe race (then called the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race), in 1969, making him the first person to sail around the world solo non-stop. One of his favorite poems is called The Mustn'ts by Shell Silverstein, which goes like this . .

Listen to Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, Anything can be.

At the very least, read it to your kids!
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 20:28   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
By when? What would go before? Your wife may not be keen to take the kids in any event, some women aren't. It's a whole lot of work for them, and precious little fun.

Just sayin. For a "family man", you're starting to sound like a dude that wants out. Makes me wonder about a "midlife crisis."

Ann
Old 11-11-2016, 20:53   #14

Jarsy, Welcome aboard
Dinghy sailing will help you master the art of sail trim especially if your sails have telltales. The big issue come when you start to build up your skills managing 20 tonnes of sailboat both at sea and mooring. I would look at progressing from a dinghy up to a big boat but sailing locally for at least one season. I would not rush this. I agree that you must have your partner truly onside. Everything is usually fine but it can change radically when you sail upwind and your partner finds what was fun when the boat was flat becomes something very different when the deck is tilted at 25 degrees. You must also consider how your children will react to life at sea and how you plan to keep them safe. Plenty have done it, but it does take special people to make it work safely and enjoyably. BTW you need to have very good mechanical skills to maintain your engine and boat.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 21:30   #15

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Read post #10 by Barnakiel....really well. Then read it over and over until you have a clear and selfless conscience.
If you pass Barnies test and all four of you are dead keen...buy a boat.
Either cat or mono, only you will work it out.
But for the same dollars you'll get a lot more volume in a mono...and without the propensity for tripping over the leward hull.
AND check which insurers will (or will not) cover a trimaran BEFORE you buy the boat.
The right boat is half the story so choose SLOWLY by asking many questions first.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail, sailing