Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 12:50   #31

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
it's worth taking a look at the current Carib 1,500 standings:

<trackerhome1500rally2010>

Monos (Jeanneaus, Beneteaus, Macgregor 65 and - gasp - a Gozzard 44) are eating up the course while the multis all seem to be stuggling to hold their own. We observed much the same thing last year.
Are you really going to try and use this rally as an indicator of multihull performance?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
that masthead sure looks like the forum is devoted to multihulls. I see three front and center to one monohull . . .
Oh I must have missed that thread.

Bye
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53   #33

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Look guys, I did NOT start this post to start a s--t fight.
The comments I made in regard to Mono's are facts,
They do lean,
They do stink (because the motor is located in the main hull)
They are not shallow draft
And they do sink.
Most women do not like them for those reasons

You can't argue with this facts
Well you can solve all of these but the lean with a modern mono. Even the women part can be solved by just having "me" as part of the crew, just don't tell the wife :-)
Old 10-11-2010, 14:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Why can't cruisers discuss aspects of their boat without this tirade of abuse.
... They do stink (because the motor is located in the main hull) ...
Because some of us cannot abide contrary opinions; and mis-characterize them as abuse.

Some facts, aren't.

Old 10-11-2010, 14:29   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
I love my cat but I would also enjoy sailing a monohull. Sailing is awesome, regardless of how many hulls one has.
Truer words never spoken!

I am a dyed-in-the-wool mono guy, but I recently did a long passage upwind (English Channel crossing) in a fairly strong wind. Life at 30 degrees heel has quite a number of disadvantages. I caught myself thinking about cats . . .
Old 10-11-2010, 15:00   #36

Boat: Fortune 30
I can definitely argue with some of these facts. And, I don't do it for a pissing match. Cruising has evolved, and boats have evolved with it. However, the fact that there are still plenty of monohulls being made proves that they are not an outdated form of technology. There are some great aspects of multihulls, and I concede that. However, they are not infallible. Just as with ANY boat selection, there are drawbacks as well. Everything is a trade off, as Factor pointed out. I haven't cruised in the tropics...I have sailed in more northern latitudes where larger waves and higher winds are commonplace. Currently I'm in Alaska. I see almost no multihull boats around here, except for two AMHS fast ferries that are plagued with problems, and whale watching tour boats that operate almost exclusively during the summer. Even the 235 foot ferry Fairweather didn't leave the dock last winter.

As for the 'facts':
Mono hulls do lean more, and some go faster heeled a bit. With waves, this also creates a higher freeboard on the windward side that helps protect the deck from waves that might otherwise break over the boat.
They do not stink. If they stink, then either it's a bad design or its not being maintained properly. Just because the motor is located in the main hull doesn't matter. The engines on a cat can stink just as much, and that foul air can waft into the main living area. Proper cleaning and sanitation can do a lot for that 'funk'.
Some monohulls can be designed to be shallow draft. I've seen 60' monohulls with either centerboards or sideboards that were designed to be beached as the tide was ebbing. Of course, this isn't the majority, but its just an example of different technology at work.
They do sink. All boats sink, given the wrong circumstances. It could be operator error, design flaw, poor maintenance, or just the sea's fury.
As far as 'most women' enjoying multihulls, that's assuming that the women are not sailors and their only interests are the galley and creature comforts. I've known many women who enjoy sailing in a monohull more than a catamaran. If the women are just tagging along for the ride, then it's more a matter of the company than of the boat.

Quote:
Any body read about another tall ship sinking? Over 100' with no sail up, gets knocked down and sank.
Well, the article I read said nothing about sinking. The Fryderyk Chopin was dismasted and towed into port with no injuries. Any boat can be dismasted.
Old 10-11-2010, 15:20   #37
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I believe the tall ships name was Concordia. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 16:00   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I believe the tall ships name was Concordia. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Your are not wrong, smj - see: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...zil-36732.html

TaoJones
Old 10-11-2010, 22:27   #39

Boat: Fortune 30
Yes, the Concordia did sink early this year. When I saw 'recent', I figured that they meant the most recent tall ship mishap, which was the dismasting of the brig Fryderyk Chopin. Of course, with both of these vessels, there was a minimal professional crew and a large 'crew' of trainee students. I don't think that would have mattered with the Fryderyk Chopin, but possibly with the Concordia. Luckily, in each mishap there were no casualties. However, comparing tall ships with modern cruising monohulls is like comparing monos to multis in the first place. They're completely different in design and usually function.

Pyrate
Old 11-11-2010, 04:55   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:

Why can't cruisers discuss aspects of their boat without this tirade of abuse.
The comments I made in regard to Mono's are facts,
They do lean,
They do stink (because the motor is located in the main hull)
They are not shallow draft
And they do sink.
Most women do not like them for those reasons

You can't argue with this facts
Facts to you but not to others.

As a broad general survey of the long term cruisers I have met on monos and cats I can clearly say (in percentage terms) that vaslty more mono sailors are fitter, and, vastly more multihull sailors are obese or overweight or appear more unfit.

There is more boat movement on a mono and that gets cruisers fitter.

I prefer the movement of a mono. I hate the piston sounds of a multihul at sea (and even in rolly anchorages).

I love being fit, slimish - apart from a slight 'error' surrounding my belly button, and feeling stronger than on my last visit to a Gym, on my last day of work, of my last day of life on land.

My dad died of a heart attack at 65 years old. I am going to live longer! (Or die by misadventure). If I can do that by sailing a monohull to the most wonderful places in the world then so much the better!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11   #41

Boat: Irwin 40
Ha! the mono hull as a fitness machine! Now you are on to something, we can make a fortune selling the "Atlantic crossing diet and fitness program" lol and they other guy said the chicks like a muti hull not when they see how much weight they can loose and how buff their men will be! Who needs a gym when you can have adventure AND lose weight!

You are a genius Mark!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19   #42

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
snip
They do sink. All boats sink, given the wrong circumstances.

snip.
Beg to differ. Many boats cannot sink. They can be flooded, in which case they sit lower in the water and may be damaged by water ingress, but still not sink to the bottom.

My boat is one of those, as are many other multihulls, the Etap (monohull sailboat) and Boston Whalers (mono powerboats) to name some examples. You can even cut these boats in pieces and the sections would also float. I recall reading recently that a certain class of mono racers also have enough flotation to not sink if flooded, but can't recall the specifics.

I consider this a huge differentiator. I would like to see things taken even further with crash bulkheads and sea chests, but I doubt you'd find a sea chest built into any new production boat -- it would be custom.
Old 11-11-2010, 13:48   #43

Mono cruisers have a big hunk of lead in the bottom which takes them to the bottom when flooded.
Multihulls float even if upside down.
Mark J.
Is that the best you can do-- A fitness machine??.
As i said earlier, if by reading about the positive aspects of multihulls upsets you, don't read the multihull posts
Old 11-11-2010, 14:22   #44
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
As i said earlier, if by reading about the positive aspects of multihulls upsets you, don't read the multihull posts
Its not ones 'bit'. Its how one uses it. When you head off cruising you will find that out

I haven't bumped into any multihull folks quite as up themselves as on internet forums. So I sugest you go get a life and I will go be friends with people on all types of boats.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 11-11-2010, 17:54   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This one started on a shaky post and is now closed.
Closed Thread