Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11   #31

Re: Tiller Steering and Outboard Motors

Is there a reason you are looking for tiller steering? It sucks up space and by the time you link up the rudders, I doubt you will get any significant reliability over a wheel system.

If all you need the outboard for is manuvering, why not save a lot of hassle and do pods like the PDQ's use. The motors are out of the sun and out of sight.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25   #32

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Valhalla! ++

Mauritz
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Is there a reason you are looking for tiller steering? It sucks up space and by the time you link up the rudders, I doubt you will get any significant reliability over a wheel system.

If all you need the outboard for is manuvering, why not save a lot of hassle and do pods like the PDQ's use. The motors are out of the sun and out of sight.
Rudders are linked on wheel steering boats, well mine certainly are.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48   #34

Factor: Yes pretty much all catamarans have the rudders linked and presumably, you would want them linked with a tiller, so there seems to be little to gain in terms of reliability, hence the question of why.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57   #35

Why?

Firstly, tillers are the arms from the rudders forward. Tillers don't link rudders together, that is the job of the crossbar.

A direct tiller system removes mechanical failure points such as gears, belts, quadrants, etc, whatever transfers the tiller to the wheel.

plain tiller system would be: rudder post up from the rudder blade, a tiller connected to that coming forward to the steering station (and in the case of the catamaran, a crossbar). That's it, done and dusted.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Have you checked out the Tomcat 9.7? It's a 32' boat which may be smaller then you're looking for. It does have Yamaha outboards in the hulls that can be raised and lowered. The steering, however is helm mounted. It may be possible to give Tom a call and see if he could build one with tiller steering. Ya never know...PM me if you need more details..
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The Edel Helios 38 is tiller steered, and the Edel 35 has outboard power.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Have you checked out the Tomcat 9.7? It's a 32' boat which may be smaller then you're looking for. It does have Yamaha outboards in the hulls that can be raised and lowered. The steering, however is helm mounted. It may be possible to give Tom a call and see if he could build one with tiller steering. Ya never know...PM me if you need more details..
Or you could get an older Gemini 3200 with transom mounted rudders. It shouldn't be too hard to modify for tiller steering.

The outboard is in a central lower pod but we've never heard of one being stolen. With it bolted solidy in place, it would take an hour or so to get it removed.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tiller Steering and Outboard Motors

All you need to know about the Tiller/Bar set-up... and they don't take up room...
James Wharram Designs | Unique sailing catamarans, self-build and professional built boats of distinction..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53   #40

Boat: Lavranos 40

everybody argues about the tiller... which in a cat is everything but a nonsense. And a lot don't talk about the outboard engines which in my opinion is a big non-sense on a boat over 30'.
For the same HP an outboard will consume 2-4 times more fuel than a diesel engine. Which means you'll need bigger tanks, and gasoline needs specific tanks because it is highly flammable and btw you can't keep gasoline for too long in a tank. Other problems, unless you can completely lift up the engines while sailing and keeping them in standing position (especially for 4 strokes engines), they will always get issues with sea water. A gasoline engine gives more trouble than diesel if the fuel is dirty.
So finally, having outboards engines on a catamaran which is a sailing boat that use the engines more often than a monohull force you to have more weight for the tankage, motoring on shorter distances, spend more money on fuel.
The only logical use of outboards would be on a boat that is going to do coastal cruising only.
romanos2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tiller Steering and Outboard Motors

Klaxon Diesel Outboards Features

and there's Ruggerini's and a few others...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Klaxon Diesel Outboards Features

and there's Ruggerini's and a few others...
That would be a solution
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36   #43
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanos2b View Post
everybody argues about the tiller... which in a cat is everything but a nonsense. And a lot don't talk about the outboard engines which in my opinion is a big non-sense on a boat over 30'.
For the same HP an outboard will consume 2-4 times more fuel than a diesel engine. Which means you'll need bigger tanks, and gasoline needs specific tanks because it is highly flammable and btw you can't keep gasoline for too long in a tank. Other problems, unless you can completely lift up the engines while sailing and keeping them in standing position (especially for 4 strokes engines), they will always get issues with sea water. A gasoline engine gives more trouble than diesel if the fuel is dirty.
So finally, having outboards engines on a catamaran which is a sailing boat that use the engines more often than a monohull force you to have more weight for the tankage, motoring on shorter distances, spend more money on fuel.
The only logical use of outboards would be on a boat that is going to do coastal cruising only.
Yes, definitely your opinion. Can't count the times we've sailed past monos that were motoring. Cats sail less?
Also in our experience with owning a few cats with outboards and a few cats with inboards they all seemed to burn about 1 gallon per hour doing 7 kts., no matter if they were burning diesel or gas. And yes, pulling the outboard leg out of the water while sailing gives quite an advantage over dragging saildrives and props.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yes, definitely your opinion. Can't count the times we've sailed past monos that were motoring. Cats sail less?
Also in our experience with owning a few cats with outboards and a few cats with inboards they all seemed to burn about 1 gallon per hour doing 7 kts., no matter if they were burning diesel or gas. And yes, pulling the outboard leg out of the water while sailing gives quite an advantage over dragging saildrives and props.
I owned cats and monohull, most catamarans can't sail closer than 55° of the wind, If I'm back on a monohull is because I don't like motoring too much, plus a cat is not confortable if the wind doesn't come from the back unless you stay in the bay^^. I've a 50 hp diesel engine burning less than a gallon an hour, I owed a 50 hp outboard evinrude was burning 2-3 gallons an hour.
Sorry if I still say that for the same HP a diesel engine will burn a lot less fuel and still will have a better torque than a gasoline engine.
Gasoline engine is ok only for coastal cruising...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23   #45
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanos2b View Post

I owned cats and monohull, most catamarans can't sail closer than 55° of the wind, If I'm back on a monohull is because I don't like motoring too much, plus a cat is not confortable if the wind doesn't come from the back unless you stay in the bay^^. I've a 50 hp diesel engine burning less than a gallon an hour, I owed a 50 hp outboard evinrude was burning 2-3 gallons an hour.
Sorry if I still say that for the same HP a diesel engine will burn a lot less fuel and still will have a better torque than a gasoline engine.
Gasoline engine is ok only for coastal cruising...
You must have owned a cat that wasn't known for its sailing ability to only be able to achieve 55 degrees.
We owned a Cherokee 35 with a 38hp diesel and hydraulic drives. Made maybe 5 kts burning at least 1 gallon per hour. Changed out to a Honda 50 and started motoring at 7 kts burning 7/8 gallon per hour. Gemini 3200 with a Honda 40 at 7 kts about 7/8 gallon per hour. And two Seawind 1000,s with stern extensions with twin Yamaha 9.9's getting about 7 kts and burning a hair over 1 gallon per hour. Also an Edel 43 and a Solaris 36 Sunstar both with twin Yanmar 3gm30's doing about 7 kts burning 1 gallon per hour.
Can't understand why gasoline is only ok for coastal cruising. Let's face it, if your offshore you have nothing to run into so the engine isn't as important as coastal. Where coastal sailing the engine plays a much bigger role. So if it's ok for coastal must be ok for offshore, right?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, steering