Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 13:09   #46

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38'
Re: Thoughts on Improving Wharram Tiki 38

My tiki has major changes to the original plans. Rigid fixed hulls, different rig/sail plans, diesel inboards, and a different deck layout. It is still a good boat and I am well pleased with it. In fact, I think it is better than the original. You want dagger boards? Go for it!
Tiki 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Love the cartoon! Thanks.
Old 14-06-2016, 06:45   #48

Boat: no boat any more

during our 7 years circumnavigation on our tangaroa mk1 (34' wharram "old style) in the 80ies we came across several cats that would have provided better platforms for our cruise at the same expense of labour & money... (just saw mike wallers cats now for the first time: the coral sea 35 would have been a VAST improvement over the wharram!)
but I suppose everybody has to find out himself...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 07:24   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What didn't you like, or what did you think was better on someone else's yacht?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 06:30   #50

easy improvements would have been:
on the sailing abilities:
chine hulls with stub-keels
transoms
rigid construction
(met a Simpson woodwind -as afar as I can remember)

on the "comforts"/liveability:
again the chinehulls, the transoms & longer cabintops for much more volume
solid bridgedeck for less water on deck
companionways facing aft, not towards center
some sort of "windscreen" or simple, light centercabin (met a Hitchhiker 33 from Oz)

all this would have cost exactly the same in $$$ & labour, but would have resulted in a much better boat: surfing @>12kn in the trades one really had to time when opening the companionwayhatch to avoid bucketfuls of water egtting down below. @ anchor on a windy, rainy day commuting between the hulls...

example:
http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/photo_cs35.html
Old 15-06-2016, 07:30   #51

&
10.3m Woodwind Catamaran : Boatcraft Pacific, the home of wooden boat building.
Old 17-06-2016, 05:04   #52

30 to 40ft Catamarans
& regarding "improvements:
just a little thing with exactly 0% more time & effort:
companionways facing aft instead of towards the center! The difference in comfort & liveability would have been extreme!!! It was a pity nobody had told me...
Old 20-06-2016, 07:51   #53

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

This modified Pahi 42 with an enclosed bridge deck cabin looks good & the negotiable price is attractive as well. I would tend to think that the dropdown outboard motor pods would take a bit of a hammering if you needed to motor in any kind of sea though. But, the owners have crossed several oceans & travelled over 22,000 Nm which tends to speak for itself.

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...shelter/187924

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 13:57   #54

Hello everyone! I have been lurking and I thought I would join in with a 'what I would do' post. So of course, YMMV!

If I were going to put Daggerboards in a wharram, I would put them outboard completely, as lifting LeeBoards, and shape them to the hull's curvature, in a solid track glassed into the outer hull, and heavily reinforced (think biaxial or kevlar.. non stretch anyway). If I had the dollars, maybe I would make the case in Aluminum! I would leave enough play at the top so that I could wedge it out with a few softwood (or maybe HDPE.. something soft and squishy that wouldn't expand too much, but would lock in readily) wedges to lock it in place. I might lanyard a rubber mallet to each side near the board as well to be handy.

I would shape the board so that the bottom section flared out a bit fore and aft, like an oar, so it couldn't come back up the track after being raised. At the top of the flare, I would put something to cushion the slam in a "I am really yanking the line very hard" situation when spooked in shallows (grounding/breaking) or in heavy weather (worry over tripping).

I'd attach a strong lead from the boards to something up high that made sense with decent purchase so I could yank them up very quickly from the cockpit. Perhaps I would install a block on a stanchion base with a small overhang next to the board.

I would attach lanyards to the wedges to keep them in the boat after such a maneuver.

And I would absolutely carve a naked lady (pr perhaps.. mermaid..) figure into the top of the board :-)

All of this, and you don't need to redesign the boat. It's an entirely external change, less weight than a case or two of beer (or about as much) and pretty simple and cheap. I guess that means you would have to carry more high proof rum to keep everything even...

If you hated the vertical board idea, then you could still go external with a board on a hinge that rotated down instead, but that's more complex. It does have its advantages though, as you would be less likely to break it in a grounding if you installed "kick up" capability. But since the sides are not slab sides, that would be tricky, unlike the below leeboard sharpie.

http://hallman.nfshost.com/bolger/397.jpg

Not only that, but the hinge could have a lot of shear stress on it. With a solid track you could really go to town with reinforcement for small money.

In all cases, make sure the board is weaker than the board trunk!

Anyhoo, I'm guessing the trick is figuring out *where* to put it. But I would imagine you can find the CB/CG if you are building it from scratch :-)

Also, as I recall, stretching a Wharram Tiki 10% is pretty ok.. the designer says he doesn't like it, but he also says it can be done safely as long as it isn't extreme, and the boat should sail just as well. even if you don't increase the B/LWL ratio. I mean thats essentially what he did with Ariki and et al, I believe.
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 00:22   #55

a.b.b. - amateur boat building - Ekolo'kat 33 by Nicolas Gruet
Old 21-06-2016, 01:45   #56

"...the Tiki 38 really should be just about perfect..."
back in the seventies, when I was just a wee lad I fell for Wharrams marketing too...
I don't want to complain overly much (after all she took us all the way around) - but in 14 years of bluewatercruising we encountered few boats less comfortable & less suitable for what we were doing than the Wharram...
my advice: before deciding upon a design & committing 4000h of your life to it: go sailing in as many different boats that you can, include "serious" sailing (open waters, rough weather, ocean passages) if at all possible in these experiences & then - - -
buy a used boat, preferably a fairly common/popular design so it's easy to sell if you should discover the cruising lifestyle is not to your liking (lots&lots of people we met on our travels found this...)!

Tags
wharram