Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 08:13   #61

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542
Re: The vibe of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Attachment 177884Happy with our 45
I went out in on of these a week ago. Amazing sailboat! The hulls were a bit tight for me but damn she could sail! Jealous of you!
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 08:44   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

As with monos, Cats are bought for individual requirements of the purchaser.

I love outremers but would not choose it as my cat of choice because my requirements and preferences. Not because it isnt a good Cat.. it is. Its like different characteristics. For me too the hulls are narrow... If I raced or needed to get places fast...it would be a consideration.

I prefer the TAG.

I also like smaller cats up to 34 foot. There is only me and that size is plenty.

I like the Smith designed Gemini simply because it has a lot of room, nice looks and a 15 foot width so will take the French canals and mono berths in marinas.

I also find the 1 million price tag of the TAG aimed at other people... people with money.

Gemini is kinda nice for me to live on and go places.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 10:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
From what im seeing these newer "Condo cats' are doing just fine, not breaking up, not motoring all the time etc. Theres a 48ft fp coming down the Madagascar coast as I write doing 8.5k on a lovely beam reach (i just heard them on the radio), they have safely made it 3/4 the way around the world. Another mate owns a Lagoon 450, he recently smashed down from the Seychelles and averaged 170nm/day, this is a tuff forward of the beam rough sail, they did it without any serious problems, not comfortably BUT safely.

Im seeing these "unseaworthy "cats safely crossing oceans ,and other than rough windward passages they are doing it in comfort. They seem to be performing quite well from what i see. They seem to have no more or less problems than most crusing boats.

On a side note I know of two cats that have had trouble in the Indian ocean this year and they weren't condo cats. One was a older 51 outreamer (51or52?) abandoned between the Seychelles and Mauritius, broken dolphin striker then mast failure. The other was an island spirit travelling with me from the Seychelles, they were getting smashed due to low bridgedeck clearance and snapped the boom in half. The outreamer incident from what i can see was age and maintaince related not design, the island spirit was age and design (low bridge deck, and little overloaded).

Id have a nice condo cat, i have no problem cruising in comfort.

Great comment.
It seems that at least the condo cats gets to cross oceans, while the promotors for uncomfortable and "real sailing" are still back home at the couch.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 10:37   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Great comment.

It seems that at least the condo cats gets to cross oceans, while the promotors for uncomfortable and "real sailing" are still back home at the couch.

How did you come up with that assumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:14   #65

What money can buy - Certainly not happiness 😆
I often recall the saying. . . That you get the same view from my ol Bene that they get from their floating million dollars !
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:37   #66

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I'll counter that with Mae West's "I've been rich, and I've been poor. Rich is better". I'd guess that a lot of the inhabitants of Dominica would agree.

Cheers,
Old 28-09-2018, 13:47   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Well where is cat design going, for some years I felt the condo nick name was a bit harsh however after studying the latest batch of offerings I am starting to wonder, have a look at the FP45, the Leopard 45, the Lagoon 46, they can compete with the best condo’s in the world, the Admiral just gushes over the décor, the colours, the mood lighting, particularly the underwater lighting, I mean the thing will likely sink unless it has underwater lighting, how many taps has it got? but hey how many day beds has it got, some upstairs, some downstairs, what colour is the toilet seat, is the seat heated, it better have a TV in there, we must have wall to wall carpet dear, OK darling, you know the story a happy wife is a happy life. What about toilets (heads) the Admiral wants to know why they can’t call them powder rooms! I feel the marketing folk are in a competition to see how many bums they can seat, I mean give me a break, has it got a sail well who the hell cares, it’s all about the vibe of it. I am going to stay with my Mirror sailing dinghy, my first love.
Where do you sail your Mirror? I haven’t got mine wet in 15 years. Keep meaning to.
Lcdr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 13:55   #68

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
I'll counter that with Mae West's "I've been rich, and I've been poor. Rich is better". I'd guess that a lot of the inhabitants of Dominica would agree.

Cheers,

And Venezuela...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:18   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GB View Post
Hmmm, just occurred to me that we could create a whole new prejudice and endless forum war along the lines of mono Vs multi: aka condo Vs non-condo.

It already exists here
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 19:40   #70

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcdr47 View Post
Where do you sail your Mirror? I haven’t got mine wet in 15 years. Keep meaning to.

Well it was many years ago when the kids were young, as a family we had so much fun on it. It evolved from a design competition run by the Mirror Newspaper in the UK, to win the competition the design had to meet the working man's budget, had to be able to be kit build, carry it on top of a car, work well as a row boat etc. sadly I no longer own it. We used to sail at Black Rock on the bay Melbourne.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 20:28   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
So Volvo are making cats now ?
What! Bigger mooring blocks?
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 20:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Should I ,you or we start a thread that just shows pictures of our boats
The ugly boat picture show.
Old 29-09-2018, 20:59   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
So. How many cruise ships have you been on? How many Cats have you been on? Perhaps you could tell me the similarities as one type of vessel is a mono and the other is dual hull?

Sorry... you are commenting without facts and stating a personal opinion without knowledge....

Real Sailing is confined to monohulls? I will stop here.

Like your mono!
Old 29-09-2018, 21:18   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Great comment.
Umm... if your second group is meant to be monohull cruising boats, I think you might want to get out more, like in mid ocean island anchorages and places far from yottie civilization. There you will find a few cats and tris, some of the cats are indeed condo cats, but the majority of long range cruising boats are still monohulls. Changing slowly with the numbers of mutis growing, but to imply that all us mono sailors are still back home on the couch ignores reality.

For example, Ann and I have gotten off the couch enough to cover nearly 165,000 miles so far in our monohull cruising boats, and we know heaps of others with similar sorts of histories.

Condo cats can and do cross oceans, but most of them do not do so. That is reality.

Jim
Old 29-09-2018, 23:09   #75
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Condo cats can and do cross oceans, but most of them do not do so. That is reality.

Jim
Can somebody give me the definition of condo cats ?

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote