Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 20:17   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Affordable financing? What does that mean? Did they pay full price and simply got a low interest rate or did they get deep discounts plus a low interest rate or what?
The latest video leaves that answer unclear. Probably deliberate.

And the question I have: What has it got to do with us? Seriously, there comes a time when the couple begin to withdraw from answering questions because really......... its none of our business!!

They have a Catamaran to use. They did a deal, they disclosed they are buying the Cat...... they disclosed they can pay from the returns of the YOUTUBE service....

Perhaps they too are shocked at the comments from people calling the beggars, immoral etc.......It is very dismaying to learn that the general public feel the 'right' to dictated what should happen with life.....

Its a tough lesson to learn for anyone in the public eye. Your fans are not your friends when you become successful.

sheesh.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:31   #107

Boat: Able 50

The answer is that it has everything to do with us, seriously or not. These people have chosen to make their lives public property. These people have chosen to make their financial affairs public property. They control 100% of whatever is or is not made public so there is no leeway for seeking privacy.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:35   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The answer is that it has everything to do with us, seriously or not. These people have chosen to make their lives public property. These people have chosen to make their financial affairs public property. They control 100% of whatever is or is not made public so there is no leeway for seeking privacy.
Really? So you think cause they are in the public view they have an obligation to reveal their financial statements to you?

You really have a over inflated sense of importance. Try that one on any movie star or for that matter, a certain political figure!
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:36   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Monohull cruising
Attachment 141988
Catamaran cruising
Attachment 141989
Sure looks like a whole LOTTA turbulence out the aft end of the cat hull. Almost like they are motor sailing. Weird. I'm assuming that a cat like a mono when sailing and not motoring, does not churn the water like it's motoring. Probably the marketing guy asking for more speed to make the bow wake bigger.

Maybe it's just shopped to look faster.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:44   #110

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In the real boating world no one cares if you’re in a new multi million dollar cat or an old, inexpensive leaky teaky (like mine). All that really matters is that you are out there.

If you’re interesting, kind and open — as most real cruisers are — then we’ll get along fine. If not, one of us will up anchor and move on. No biggie.
All my mono-friends love the sundowner in the multi-cockpit
Old 25-02-2017, 20:47   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Really? So you think cause they are in the public view they have an obligation to reveal their financial statements to you?

You really have a over inflated sense of importance. Try that one on any movie star or for that matter, a certain political figure!
Obligation? No obligation. They chose to make themselves the object of public discussion. It wasn't compulsory, not even obligatory.
Old 25-02-2017, 20:48   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
It looks good in writing. The problem is that a statement like " we have done a deal with Cat company and will use a Cat for at least a year..." is followed by such mass speculation that they inexperienced with the nature of the "public" reveal little bits here and there and end up hated for being successful.

When I was starting in private practice years ago, One of my clients was/is a very famous and successful businesman. He said there are two ways to approach business. He called it the presence principle.

1/. To have an office in an expensive part of town. To have a super luxury vehicle on display. To charge for services with fees that made the eyes water.

He said that a certain class of patients wanted to see success in every pore of the medical business because they equated success with ability and therefore did not mind paying for a service that 'guaranteed' them the optimal chance available.

2/. The second was to have everything new and efficient, but low key, not stand out but have a presence everywhere, and have more modest prices, and be seen to be the backbone of the industry. This too gave confidence, just took a little longer to establish.

In both cases, to remain purposefully silent on the sources of finance and let people assume it was based solely on abilities, because that is what you are selling.

I never forgot that.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:01   #113

Quote:
Obligation? No obligation. They chose to make themselves the object of public discussion. It wasn't compulsory, not even obligatory.
Yet the previous post chastised them for not disclosing anything by saying "they had no leeway" because they are in our local view.

Please make your mind up because you just contradicted yourself.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:25   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sure looks like a whole LOTTA turbulence out the aft end of the cat hull. Almost like they are motor sailing. Weird. I'm assuming that a cat like a mono when sailing and not motoring, does not churn the water like it's motoring. Probably the marketing guy asking for more speed to make the bow wake bigger.

Maybe it's just shopped to look faster.

No water from the starboard exhaust....

It's not a particularly efficient example of sailing cat hulls, with wide, square and fairly well immersed transoms, and it IS probably sailing fairly fast, using reacher and main. Looks to be quite powered up.

To suggest it's motorsailing (because cat's motor 100% of the time, right?) really sounds desperate to me.

You prefer mono's, that's great. In fact you're lucky, because you get an ever expanding choice of second-hand ones at ever falling prices...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:26   #115

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Based on some of the comments I have seen so far on this thread you would probable also have complaints about this guys as well?

Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:30   #116

Reasons I'll stick with my flat bottomed centre board steel mono hull: cheaper to slip, cheaper to maintain, cheaper in a marina, I've been in 12 meter swell plus seas in both... never again in a cat!
jonnypaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:43   #117

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The latest video leaves that answer unclear. Probably deliberate.

And the question I have: What has it got to do with us? Seriously, there comes a time when the couple begin to withdraw from answering questions because really......... its none of our business!!

They have a Catamaran to use. They did a deal, they disclosed they are buying the Cat...... they disclosed they can pay from the returns of the YOUTUBE service....

Perhaps they too are shocked at the comments from people calling the beggars, immoral etc.......It is very dismaying to learn that the general public feel the 'right' to dictated what should happen with life.....

Its a tough lesson to learn for anyone in the public eye. Your fans are not your friends when you become successful.

sheesh.
Do u-tube video posters receive payment if the video draws a big response and or if visitors click on the ads that appear on the site? I really do not know, but some of the recent posts here suggest to me that this is the case.
Old 25-02-2017, 22:04   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The old salts don't like it...
You are supposed to be uncomfortable as almost a right of passage.
Have no refrigeration and eat potatoes after you dig them out of the bilge and knock off the growing eyes.
You can't have a water maker and need to shower once a week with a garden sprayer or better yet, sneak a shower at the dinghy dock water hose at night.

There is this weird mindset in the Cruising Community that the old way is always better. Anything new is somehow going to open up the community to the masses....ah....there you go...that's the heart of it isn't it. If Cruising is too Comfortable and the Jones can do it, well good grief...
Old salts been looked down on now. I am liveaboard for 12 years fim do mundo East Africa now, on my second cat and sure I would not go back to monohull! For obvious comfort reasons. However I see too many people who are on cats who got simply no clue how or what sailing is. Oh they know how to live on cat, they simply live on it like they lived in their flat before, great achievement folks. They got no clue hiw to anchor, where to anchor, hiw to read the weather, tides currents. Can't sail out of trouble if engine packs up, and it often does.
I would argue that it makes great sense learning to sail on monohull with grumpy old salt, I did, then later move to your obvious choice. I stay away from the cruiser hotspots, ever had a 45 ft cat coming straight at you at night?
I think most of you, true capable sailors, not only comfi people on cats, know what I am trying to get accross here.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 22:06   #119

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
All my mono-friends love the sundowner in the multi-cockpit
All the cruisers I meet love sundowners with their new fast friends. Doesn’t seem to matter which boat it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP0516.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	141992  
Old 26-02-2017, 01:50   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Yet the previous post chastised them for not disclosing anything by saying "they had no leeway" because they are in our local view.

Please make your mind up because you just contradicted yourself.
Make my mind up? What on earth for because ,nothing has been contradicted.

These people control 100% of what we see in their vids so they deserve no leeway in our interpretation. On the other hand, if the vids were controlled by someone else, they might indeed earn a little leeway by claiming that important bits had been edited out by some nasty outsider.

Tags
hull, monohull