Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 14:39   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: The loss of Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Really sorry, it's a really cruel life happening.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:02   #47

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Dear auspn84,

never saw a fisherman do that: you were singularly "blessed."

I didn't say so before, but want to do now: condolences, mate. Really sorry, it's a really cruel life happening.

Ann
Thanks Ann, that’s really kind.

It sucks but will free up a bit of capital for me to buy my first house, and then I can start the whole boat thing again.

I think the lesson is to just buy one already in the US or Carib, rather than try and sail over there!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:47   #48

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Agreed - and this is daylight as well as night.

On a previous Biscay crossing we had a fisherman (~50ft trawler) suddenly change direction and cause complete navigation with our course.... as they wanted to show us the pod of dolphins following them. Sweet, but slightly mental.

And don’t even get me started on unlit crab and lobster pots.
Thanks, I've never been there so I had no frame of reference. This adds to the picture.

Whenever there's a loss like this, and beyond the obvious sadness for all involved, I always try to look for the "silver lining" of lessons we can learn.

In this case, my take-away is to avoid running blind. Be it a sail, fog, or a dirty windshield blocking my view, I hope I never find myself trying to push my luck. Yes, I've done it before. And yes, I've had a close call. Never again!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 15:17   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Capt. Tom:

Yes, it can be bloody scary. It's why I warn people the radar can go blind. Because sudden blindness when you're counting on it can be way, way dangerous. Depends on the number of hazards and how fast they're traveling, and how fast you're traveling. In a thunderstorm with both anemometer and knotmeter pegged was not the best of timing.

Why were we there? arriving from offshore at a new country. It happens. PLus, I really think we should be able to handle sudden condition changes. The greeny black of the approaching T/S, the curl of the approaching roll cloud. Just should have gone to the 3rd reef, instead of the 2nd. The headsail was put away.

Ann
Old 15-01-2020, 07:36   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The loss of Walkabout

Well one thing that this event has changed is my carry on gear for deliveries..
On top of my personal Navigation system, personal VHF, Pilot Charts and Spot Beacon I have now added a Nomad AIS portable transponder which decreases even further my reliance on existing on board equipment that comes with a vessel.
Not that this is any guarantee as its common for fishing vessels to turn off their AIS to conceal their position from competition and ships have been known to leave port without switching on their AIS.. but it will improve the odds greatly in my favour.. Inshallah.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:19   #51

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well one thing that this event has changed is my carry on gear for deliveries...
Forewarned is forearmed
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 16:45   #52

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Kudos for your posts, boatman, and for sticking with the boat for the owner’s sake.

Personally I think that all vessels of any significant size (say over 10m) should be confiscated by their government if they’re found to be operating without transmitting AIS. The idea that the other fishing boats in the harbour don’t know where the best fishing spots are is just nonsense.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 19:10   #53
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Kudos for your posts, boatman, and for sticking with the boat for the owner’s sake.

Personally I think that all vessels of any significant size (say over 10m) should be confiscated by their government if they’re found to be operating without transmitting AIS. The idea that the other fishing boats in the harbour don’t know where the best fishing spots are is just nonsense.

Yep just what I want, to be chipped by the government. How in the world did we ever get by without AIS? It’s a wonder.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 23:05   #54

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:

hate govt interference with a passion, but on this one i'm in 100% agreement : make AIS compulsory for everything over 10m

as regards smj's comments : i understand your view but once upon a time we got by without seatbelts too. the world moves on and new tech is developed. we have to move with it.

AIS is cheap, easy and enormously effective and there is no logical argument against it

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 23:14   #55

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yep just what I want, to be chipped by the government. How in the world did we ever get by without AIS? It’s a wonder.
Exactly! However did the Hiscocks and Pardeys, along with tens of thousands of boats since, ever venture out of harbour and into the big bad ocean without AIS🙄

Technology has it’s place, but an over reliance on it is lunacy.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 02:32   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
hate govt interference with a passion, but on this one i'm in 100% agreement : make AIS compulsory for everything over 10m cheers,
There are alot of European inshore fishing boats that have licences for under 10m boats. Likely single manned and operated on almost a subsistence standard living. These are are likely a greater risk than say a large trawler or crab boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 03:08   #57

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Compulsory AIS is just a knee jerk reaction to one sad incident that nanny state politicians will see as a way of creating jobs and further taxation and reducing personal responsibility.

Ever been hit by an uninsured car? Legislating never works and lulls people into a false sence of security.

There will always be "less than good citizens", boat owners who wont pay for AIS, drug boats, immigrant boats, smugglers, fishermen etc etc who will flout the law and quite frankly the enforement authorities have better more important things to do than police whether a boat has an AIS or it is operating.

Asia and East Africa is filled with large schoners and out-riggers with no engines, lights or nav equipment let alone an "AIS"

AIS is the best thing to hit the boating world post radar and I would recommend everyone get one, but making it a legal requirement will result in taxation of the good guys and fines for the occational failure by a good guy while the bad guys just ignore it completely.

That is not to say that in certain areas of heavy shipping, Singapore for example are wrong to impose a requirement for AIS transponders when transiting their waters. But this is a specific case.

There are far more dangerous things at sea than not having an AIS.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 03:46   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Talking Re: The loss of Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... I have now added a Nomad AIS portable transponder...
Truly sounds like some bad luck. But Someone was looking out for you- and the boat. Glad to hear He was! After reading your posts, I made a mental note about preserving the evidence.

Thanks for sharing about the portable AIS. Did not know this existed until you posted it. But it is getting to the point where the weight of the “necessary” stuff— EPIRB, VHF, Iridium GO, tablet, harness, tether, jackline, foulies, proper first aid kit, etc will get so close to 50 lbs, that clean will be underwear a luxury for delivery guys.

Will keep my eye out for the formal report
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 23:11   #59

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Exactly! However did the Hiscocks and Pardeys, along with tens of thousands of boats since, ever venture out of harbour and into the big bad ocean without AIS🙄

Technology has it’s place, but an over reliance on it is lunacy.

N
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 00:19   #60

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
When the Pardeys were crossing oceans, there were a lot fewer boats out there and the overwhelming majority of them knew what they were doing. Nowadays many areas are full of idiots.

Also, somewhat pointless referring back to a time before AIS existed. It's a recent development, cheap, and a dramatic contributor to safety at sea. Suggesting we don't need such a thing is bonkers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191106-WA0002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	207142
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass