Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 13:01   #31

Below around 35 feet, tri's can have more useable space. It's very difficult to have headroom in a cat under 35 feet with it looking terrible.

Generally tri's probably perform a bit better.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 13:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
A tri will get you into skinnier water. Most tris will sail closer to the wind, and in lighter air. A 36 tri has less room than a 36ft mono. Once again it's a compromise.

44, why don't you think they won't get more simple? Cold molded will keep them lighter, and exotic materials too, but that ups the cost.......i2f
Just that boats don't seem to be getting simpler - these days it's rare not to have refrigeration, pressure hot & cold water, sophisticated electronics.... I don't see that trend reversing itself.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 13:57   #33

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Most production cats are very similar in overall layout because they must appeal to a large market but the one offs can be as individual as your imagination. There is a design for everyone. Unfortunately building costs and time not to mention expertise limits most of us. I prefer tris because a cat with standing headroom in the salon and enough clearance for the bridge deck will have a lot of windage, too much for me. The CSK cats were truely inovative and Machete was highly advanced in it's later incarnations, they had a load of windage but the bridgedeck didn't pound. It's also tough to see around the cabin but that also blocks the spray. In the end it's all about being on the water( and going fast ). Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 14:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I don't get the impression that there are a lot of people changing from multihulls to monohulls.
Maybe I was a little unclear. I really meant it the other way around. I see people switching from monohulls to multihulls.
Old 10-11-2009, 14:11   #35

DaveOnCudjoe and 44 ft Cruising cat.

The sketch below shows the basic concept. The main advantage over the narrow catamaran hull (which is also fast displacement) is that the wedge shape offers higher load carry ability, particularly at the stern.
This wedge concept can be used in catamarans, in fact two of my earlier 15 ft prototypes were catamarans. However i found that the trimaran or stabilized monohull is MUCH cheaper to build and offers (to me) a better internal layout. while still having the multihull advantages of shallow draft(my boat has a draft of 9 inches.)

The basic principle is a wedge shape, flat bottomed, flat sides. Fine angle of entry,
Because friction (turbulance) is reduced no BOW wave is formed and this shape does NOT plane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hull shapes.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	11014  
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 16:48   #36

This is my latest design.

45ftX 22ft

Power only, no sail. (it will fit into a catamaran marina berth)

Bridgedeck above water 2ft 6inches (800mm)
Draft of 600mm or 2ft
Weight 10 tonne
Motors 2 X 150 hp four stroke outboards
OR two Steyr 165 hp diesels
Cruising speed of 15 knots maximum of 20 knots
6mm aluminium underwater, 4mm elsewhere
Large open plan, above water living area
Two full headroom double bedrooms (4ft 6inches wide beds,walk around)
Upstairs galley Fridge/ freezer
Gas oven and 4 burners
Microwave
Wet bar
Pantry
Large shower
Separate toilet
Full width aft deck

The red line is the shape of the hull below the waterline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45ftx22.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	11029  
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 00:21   #37

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
Multi's rule...

Quote:
I don't get the impression that there are a lot of people changing from multihulls to monohulls.
Zero.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 00:34   #38

Boat: Privilege 37
I think there are some who change back - probably those whose sailing enjoyment is primarily to go out for a few hours and dip the toe rail under water.

However, I think the biggest migration of sailors in the last 2-3 years has been mobo to catamaran.
Old 20-12-2009, 09:42   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
This is what Phil Berman has to say about the future.

Market Overview: Catamaran Sales Phillip Berman of The Multihull Company Offers a Personal Analysis of the Current Cat Market
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:49   #40

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeline View Post
Quote:
Zero.
Switching between similar sized boats maybe, but I think there are cat sailors choosing monos. Case in point, I'm looking for a live aboard and there are very few cats on the west coast, so a purchase may require another $20-40K to get the boat to California. The fact of the matter is, and especially in this market, you get much better bang for your buck on a mono than a cat. There are many more older monos than cats.

I love cats and have been exclusively chartering cats for 15 years. But I'm starting to add monos to my search/research. At some point you have to ask yourself if you are a fan of boat technology and if you can't get a certain boat, you don't want a boat. Or if a boat is a means to an end and you do the best you can with the budget you have.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:01   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeline View Post
Zero.
The Dashews did.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:05   #42

Boat: St Francis 50 BAMBOO
What a very interesting discussion! We've just had a catamaran built (St Francis 50) after living aboard our 47' Vagabond monohull for 7 years cruising the Caribbean. As I see trends toward not only more catamarans being built and used as livaboards, but also much more customization. I think as the economy adjusts and settles, the market for personalization of your own living space I think will only increase, possibly lowering the cost of basic cats, but increasing the cost of customized cats.
With so many of the catamarans now being built in South Africa, where labor costs are so cheap, I would like to see the standards used in 1st world economy's, ie warranties, and builder responsibilities brought up to those standards if they intend to compete in a world market.
I do believe there is a huge market still available for catamaran builders in customizing to owners spec's...within specific restrictions of the boats original safety and structural designs.
I've met many mono's who would love to own a cat, but not any cat owners who go back to a mono. Unless they go back to land life, and have a monohull for day sails.
Very interesting conversation!
Roxanne s/v Bamboo
SailBamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:53   #43
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I been playing a lot of those games lately, myself. I even briefly considered a MacGregor 26, instead of the F 27 I have my heart set on, which replaced the Gemini 105 I have been researching for over a year, which I settled on when I realized that the Leopard 42 was out of my budget and too much boat for two of us.....
Old 20-12-2009, 14:19   #44

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
If I want to race, I prefer on my friend Bill's Hobie 18 Magnum. But crewing on my friend Brendan's NYYC Swan 42 is fun, too, only different.

If I want to cruise, my other friend Bill has an Irwin 38 Mark II Center Cockpit (which is the ONLY way to cruise on a monohull IMHO) which we have had some great vacations on. But I prefer my boat and, besides, it is the ONLY way to get the wife to cruise--it's a catamaran, or no boat!

Tough choice!
Old 22-12-2009, 16:43   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBamboo View Post
What a very interesting discussion! We've just had a catamaran built (St Francis 50) after living aboard our 47' Vagabond monohull for 7 years cruising the Caribbean. As I see trends toward not only more catamarans being built and used as livaboards, but also much more customization. I think as the economy adjusts and settles, the market for personalization of your own living space I think will only increase, possibly lowering the cost of basic cats, but increasing the cost of customized cats.
With so many of the catamarans now being built in South Africa, where labor costs are so cheap, I would like to see the standards used in 1st world economy's, ie warranties, and builder responsibilities brought up to those standards if they intend to compete in a world market.
I do believe there is a huge market still available for catamaran builders in customizing to owners spec's...within specific restrictions of the boats original safety and structural designs.
I've met many mono's who would love to own a cat, but not any cat owners who go back to a mono. Unless they go back to land life, and have a monohull for day sails.
Very interesting conversation!
Roxanne s/v Bamboo
Welcome CF.
A wonderful place.
Looking forward to your input.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote