Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 10:36   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
The Constant Camber Crowd

Anyone interested in sharing sailing and build information on John Marples and Jim Brown Constant Camber boats?

Might be fun to share any bits of info on performance, comfort, and seaworthiness.....etc.

Build method and modern wooden boats might also be of interest.
Any experiences and or bit of information would be fun to toss into the pot.

Full disclosure......we are fans of the boats. We have lots of experience with the build part but little experience with the sailing and performance bit.

Cheers,

SnJ
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:47   #2

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: The Constant Camber Crowd

Can't share sailing and build information on CC boats, but i would like to know of any for sale.
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

There was a large constant camber trimaran that was built here in the seventies. It was brought back here and the current owners are slowly refurbishing it. The name of the boat was "That" and you can read the "mini novel" here: How THAT Came About
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 16:57   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
The Constant Camber Crowd

We purchased our 2010 Marples designed constant camber Searunner 38 catamaran basically as a shell. She was professionally built, came fully rigged with new Calvert hydra net sails and a Honda 15 for power. We are still in the process of finishing her out to suit us but in the meantime have put about 3000 miles on her.
I can’t speak to the building process but what I can say is she appears to be very light and extremely stiff and strong, absolutely no creaking or groaning in a seaway.
She sails well. Very easily pushed and makes close to wind speed in light winds. Doesn’t take much wind to get her sailing in the double digits as well.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 18:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
There was a large constant camber trimaran that was built here in the seventies. It was brought back here and the current owners are slowly refurbishing it. The name of the boat was "That" and you can read the "mini novel" here: How THAT Came About
Yes, i read about "SV That" about a year ago. Very entertaining novel. i didn't know that she was still around. Where is "back here" anyway?
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 01-10-2018, 18:34   #6

Very cool to read about THAT...........

Once had a conversation with an owner of a CC-37 that was out in San Diego. I believe that he was the second or third owner. Said that his boat was built along side a sister ship. I think they may have shared the mold and shop space. John will design as an option a mini keel for these boats. As it turned out one of these boats was built with the mini keel and the other with the center board. Both were launched at about the same time and were able to sail together. According to this owner there was no difference in performance. She was fast and comfortable, close winded, and tracked well. Said it was a dream sailing off shore on a broad reach at speeds in the low teens. Comfortable and fun.

I paid close attention to this info because we chose to build our boat with the mini keel. Figured less moving parts and easier construction was a good trade off for just 12 more inches of draft.
Old 01-10-2018, 18:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Can't share sailing and build information on CC boats, but i would like to know of any for sale.
jon
Jon,

Your AVATAR pic I believe is HYLEAA a CC-40 owned by a chap named Larry. Last I heard she was for sale..............?? Maybe? Not sure.

Was for sale a while ago....
Old 02-10-2018, 05:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Jon,

Your AVATAR pic I believe is HYLEAA a CC-40 owned by a chap named Larry. Last I heard she was for sale..............?? Maybe? Not sure.

Was for sale a while ago....
Yes, you are right. She is Hybeaa (sp?). i have been in contact with Larry, and she is sorta for sale. He wanted to sell her after his class on multihull seamanship with the wooden boat school was finished. That's like now i guess. Haven't heard any more about her.

jon
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20   #9

Excellent!! Good luck with your efforts. I always seem to muck up the spelling of HYBEAA. Sorry about that.......

There was another CC-40 for sale. You are probably aware of her.....TRAVELOR is her name. Owned by a family in Virginia. The Jaynes I believe......Doug Jayne. He had some good sea stories to tell of sailing back and forth to the Caribbean by way of Bermuda. He is originally from the Caribbean I believe. Anyway he has a lot of experience with CC build and off shore sailing in these boats. Don't know anything more than that.

Our boat is the first CC-40 FC. She is basically a CC-40 reconfigured to a "fast cruiser" layout. There were other design changes but they are subtle. She is basically a big sister to the CC-37. I believe that at some point John will update his website to add the new design. Hope so.....

And soon there will be another CC-37 in build somewhere in upstate New York. It will be good to see more of these boats around.

Cheers,

SnJ
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We purchased our 2010 Marples designed constant camber Searunner 38 catamaran basically as a shell. She was professionally built, came fully rigged with new Calvert hydra net sails and a Honda 15 for power. We are still in the process of finishing her out to suit us but in the meantime have put about 3000 miles on her.
I can’t speak to the building process but what I can say is she appears to be very light and extremely stiff and strong, absolutely no creaking or groaning in a seaway.
She sails well. Very easily pushed and makes close to wind speed in light winds. Doesn’t take much wind to get her sailing in the double digits as well.

Great to get some input on sailing performance.......

Especially in light conditions. As I understand it that is where most of the performance advantages come into play. For a simple cruising boat to tick off the miles at 5 to 8 knots in 5 to 10 knots of breeze has got to be a huge advantage.

And then there is surfing in trade wind conditions. Makes me grin just thinking about it.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:08   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Great to get some input on sailing performance.......

Especially in light conditions. As I understand it that is where most of the performance advantages come into play. For a simple cruising boat to tick off the miles at 5 to 8 knots in 5 to 10 knots of breeze has got to be a huge advantage.

And then there is surfing in trade wind conditions. Makes me grin just thinking about it.

Yes, the light air performance is what’s important to me and in my opinion shows a well designed boat. She was designed as a 36’er but the original owner and the builder Doug Jaynes both came to the conclusion that an added 2’ to the sterns wouldn’t hurt. I’m glad they did as it keeps the stern’s clear of the water and the wake is minimal.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:52   #12

Quote:
There was another CC-40 for sale. You are probably aware of her.....TRAVELOR is her name. Owned by a family in Virginia. The Jaynes I believe......Doug Jayne.

Our boat is the first CC-40 FC. She is basically a CC-40 reconfigured to a "fast cruiser" layout. There were other design changes but they are subtle. She is basically a big sister to the CC-37. I believe that at some point John will update his website to add the new design. Hope so.....
Do you have any contact info for Doug Jayne? i have wondered for a long time what the differences were between the Fast Cruiser and the "M".

thanks
jon
Old 03-10-2018, 13:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Do you have any contact info for Doug Jayne? i have wondered for a long time what the differences were between the Fast Cruiser and the "M".

thanks
jon

Jon,

Try Googling "Jaynes Marine" ........

I think his website may identify as Jaynes Maritime these days. He ran a boatyard in Virginia that he may have sold or discontinued.

Anyway TRAVELOR appears to be still listed. She is a professionally built boat that may be of interest. Regardless he and or his wife can give you some good insight into the boat and the design.

John's Fast Cruiser designs have a small aft cabin that is typically just a bunk flat. The cockpit is located much further aft. And the rest of the boat is laid out in a much more conventional way.......Companionway, galley, salon, head area, and V-berth.

Check out "Searunner.com" All of his designs are listed. Best examples of the "Fast Cruisers' trimarans would be the CC-37 and the CC-44 FC. The CC-40 FC is not listed yet.

Old 03-10-2018, 13:07   #14

I just checked out their website........

Looks like all of his contact information is listed.

Cheers,

SnJ
Old 03-10-2018, 13:32   #15

Yeah, somehow, Jaynes Marine rang a bell, now i know why: i have seen the video on utube advertising Traveler.

Perhaps you can answer this:

Why is the dry weight of the FC 1000 lbs heavier than the M on the 44' version, yet the payload is the same?

jon

ps check out the headroom