Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 10:16   #1

Boat: Antares GT 44
The Best Time Of The Year To Buy a used Catamaran

When is the best time of the year to start looking for a used Catamaran and where is the best location to find good Quality Catamaran on the used Market that have not be in charter business.
Sailingwithgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 11:03   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: The Best Time Of The Year To Buy a used Catamaran

This is an international forum. Absent knowing what continent, seasons vary as does the hypothesis that time of year/season matters at all regardless of where…
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 14:26   #3

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

About a year before you leave, so you can get to know it and fix everything before you head off.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 10:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
This is an international forum. Absent knowing what continent, seasons vary as does the hypothesis that time of year/season matters at all regardless of where…
You just gave him the real answer though.
I check all the sales sites and most focus on near you. There are some crazy deals out there if youre willing to fly 1000 or 2000 miles when the same boat cost twice as much where you are (at least in the us).
One thing ive noticed is tradition effects price a lot. Some dude sails his beneteau to some place everyone sails full keep bluewater boats and the price is through the floor etc
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 10:17   #5

Just before winter, when the owners are thinking about moorage and other costs during the off season.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 11:40   #6

I have been tracking the price on a few Catamarans that I like to own. I live In Florida I have been told Florida , USVI, BVI, St Martin are the best in my area to focus on.
I hope the market tracks down on the price in a couple years from now. little high on the price when a 2 to 3 year old Catamaran should be price around 5% to 10 % below new boat value on a new Catamaran that's the rule on what we call normal Depreciation on a Sailboat. And I am not see that right now on a overprice used market.
I have time my retirement date is 2/14/2025 I am just starting to look what is on the used market. Thanks
Old 24-08-2022, 12:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingwithgil View Post
When is the best time of the year to start looking for a used Catamaran and where is the best location to find good Quality Catamaran on the used Market that have not be in charter business.
Go to Tahiti and FIJI
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 22:04   #8

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Go to Tahiti and FIJI
And Cebu and Thailand, just before hurricane season.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 04:00   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I have been tracking the price on a few Catamarans that I like to own. I live In Florida I have been told Florida , USVI, BVI, St Martin are the best in my area to focus on.
I hope the market tracks down on the price in a couple years from now. little high on the price when a 2 to 3 year old Catamaran should be price around 5% to 10 % below new boat value on a new Catamaran that's the rule on what we call normal Depreciation on a Sailboat. And I am not see that right now on a overprice used market.
I have time my retirement date is 2/14/2025 I am just starting to look what is on the used market. Thanks
Well you don‘t have time….market is dry like Sahara for cats. If you order new you will get it delivered maybe just in time. And it’s not getting better if you dream about that, sadly. With Musk starlink now and energy prices skyrocking more and more digital nomads and remote workers move to a cat and work remotely from there. Know just 15 people in my network that are switching right now. Why freeze your ass off and take cold showers in Germany when you can work in Caribbean from a cat…
If you look at 2-3 year old, just order new and you will be better.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 04:02   #10

Quote:
What’s your budget and what size you are looking for?
Old 25-08-2022, 12:05   #11

I would like to keep it below 700K to 1M for a 2 - 4 year old 45' to 48' Catamaran. I like owner version FP 45 Elba, FP 47 Tanna is in my price range I hope in a couple of years from now.
Old 26-08-2022, 14:07   #12

Quote:
I would like to keep it below 700K to 1M for a 2 - 4 year old 45' to 48' Catamaran. I like owner version FP 45 Elba, FP 47 Tanna is in my price range I hope in a couple of years from now.
order new and fix the price, will be cheaper then a 2-3years old in a couple of years.
Suggest a 44-45ft, sweet spot and you can still handle it alone. in your setup very important.
well new FP or Leopard.
but then I would go a bit older 4-6 years and look for a Antares, Privilge or catana 45. or seawind....
Much better build quality and the 6years old premium cat is better then a 3 year old Mass FP or Leopard. Also most likely much better and higher quality equipped.
at sea and liveaboard you need less...and less is more. the more you have,the more breaks. But the higher the quality more time is needed till it breaks. so I learned to evaluate every piece that's on the cat, one quality piece is better then 3 low quality and you don't have space for 3. A boat is a big compromise and what you think is top 3 will come after top 30 after you lived 1 year aboard.

yes owner Version is nice but you get much more with a 4 cabin version and fits better in your situation with 3 kids too. I have a owner (extrem low use,price and condition was very good) but wanted a 4 cabin, one cabin converted to a workshop...still missing this one room and the big head is nice But a workshop will be much more handy and keeps the boat cleaner. You will always have something to fix.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:24   #13

I know nothing about prices on the newer yachts you're in the market for, but the best timeframe for boat deals is spring. You would think winter or fall with the storage bill looming, but by spring the realization sets in that they're actually not getting to those projects/etc.

There are some well known 'end of the road' places for cruising boats- it would help to know what part of the world- one ex- Rio Dulce for east coast americas. But once you factor in haul out costs, parts, travel, and all the other considerations - it's a wash & most good boats are priced at market (or above). Any true great deals or below market price boats are word of mouth or right-place, right-time type scenarios.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 15:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
I know nothing about prices on the newer yachts you're in the market for, but the best timeframe for boat deals is spring. You would think winter or fall with the storage bill looming, but by spring the realization sets in that they're actually not getting to those projects/etc

There are some well known 'end of the road' places for cruising boats- it would help to know what part of the world- one ex- Rio Dulce for east coast americas. But once you factor in haul out costs, parts, travel, and all the other considerations - it's a wash & most good boats are priced at market (or above). Any true great deals or below market price boats are word of mouth or right-place, right-time type scenarios.
forget that right now with spring,market is dry like sahara.
rest was spot on.
good cats on or slightly above market price sell in a week or less...
My Lavezzi was spotted by a friend just by random when he was on holiday in Mallorca last year April. it was at the moment the seller was just putting the for sale sign on her, cat wasn't on any selling Plattform. I my friend checked it for 15min and 10min later I had the seller showing me the cat via video call and another 30min later I made 10k down payment and signed a pre-sale contract. was around 10% under market. 1 week later there was already a line of 27 people who would have bought it sight unseen for 15k more even without survey. not a great position for the final deal but due to a good surveyor and me just paying the 145k just right away after sealing the deal I got them another 10k down.
that's how the market is at the moment.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Well you don‘t have time….market is dry like Sahara for cats. If you order new you will get it delivered maybe just in time. And it’s not getting better if you dream about that, sadly. With Musk starlink now and energy prices skyrocking more and more digital nomads and remote workers move to a cat and work remotely from there. Know just 15 people in my network that are switching right now. Why freeze your ass off and take cold showers in Germany when you can work in Caribbean from a cat…
If you look at 2-3 year old, just order new and you will be better.
Outremer is sold out through 2026.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran