Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 08:38   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: That will be $300k, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For me, the criteria is Hull/keel soundness, Sails Rigging, engines, batteries and tanks.
I have a sub list then another sub list after that.

Essentials do not include washing machine, dryer, Water Maker and the latest electronics.

If I went out today (Yes I know where to look) I could get a cruise ready Cat for 170K Sterling Max. (A choice of a few different makes.)

But then Im also pretty sure something would break immediately..

And to be fair, I would be looking at 110K Sterling max for my self.
32-40foot.
So $250,000 to buy the boat plus whatever refit needed? Seems to fall pretty close to the discussed $300,000.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Disagree. He is a broker who lives off commission - I would also try and talk the prices up in his position. Presently, there are not many buyers - it is a buyers market and not a sellers. CASH IS KING.
You can see of boats actually selling for 70%, and sometimes less, of asking prices........there are plenty of good older cats around at $200k but be prepared to spend on standing and running rigging, sails, batteries and electronics. These boats often are stated to be cruise ready but with 10-15 year rigs, etc etc you take your chances. Invest in replacing the basics and you are good to go.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
So $250,000 to buy the boat plus whatever refit needed? Seems to fall pretty close to the discussed $300,000.
naah. This is not where I would look, but looking at the prices, I might now..

120EUROS
Wildcat 350 Catamaran for sale by owner
$129K
Antigua 37 Catamaran for sale by Owner
$169K
Privilege 37 for sale
$249K
Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 Catamaran for sale by Owner

Everything breaks at some point....... only in purchasing any of the above, with the record of upkeep you stand a chance to be in front.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:18   #19
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

What is the issue of standing rigging over 10 years old? Mine is original, and after 32+ years I don't see the need to replace anything in the forseeable future.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I can be quite definite, NO, you can't buy a cruise ready boat, any sort, anywhere, at any price, even if it's brand new and you had it custom built to your requirements. Before a boat is ready for a long voyage you need to have spent a full season working it up and getting to know it, and I guarantee you will make some changes and spend some money. Some people seem to try to do this preparation after delivering the boat to a foreign port and then, unsurprisingly, find they have made it more stressful and difficult. I would recommend you work the boat up from your home port where you know conditions and services. You can deliver anything that floats, even some that don't, if you have a big enough deck but that's not really 'cruise ready'
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
What is the issue of standing rigging over 10 years old? Mine is original, and after 32+ years I don't see the need to replace anything in the forseeable future.
It gets down to your use and where its being used. If the boat is being sailed on weekends and you live in an area that gets rain then rigs can last a long time. On the other hand if you are cruising full time in the tropics then the combination of sun and salt and little rain plus the rig constantly being cycled then it is going to have a much shorter life.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40   #22

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A problem is that cruise ready is about as defined a term as bluewater. Many wouldn't even consider cruising without a generator and a watermaker, or satellite TV.
Some cruise and never considered all that stuff.
Exactly. And while purposely vague, it is more about a mindset than a piece of equipment.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:36   #23

300k. Is it eur or usd? But now, it is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:42   #24

Ex-Calif "For me it's 'The major systems that keep the water on the outside and the air on this inside do not need major repair until next 'planned" repair cycle."
<snip>

You sir, are hilarious. I am going to borrow that phrasing.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 09-03-2015, 16:23   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Driver View Post
Ex-Calif "For me it's 'The major systems that keep the water on the outside and the air on this inside do not need major repair until next 'planned" repair cycle."
<snip>

You sir, are hilarious. I am going to borrow that phrasing.

Kindest,

Sundae
I sorta paraphrased that from Fatty Goodlander. He is a professional so I send him $.01 by PayPal everytime I use it -
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 16:34   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Sitting here sipping a little rum off St. John, reflecting back on all the fantastic cruisers I've met this past year and considering something that was said to me prior to the purchase of our boat. A prominent broker had said I wouldn't find a cruising catamaran, over 42ft, ready to go, for less than $300k. However, perusing through yachtworld.com there were many cats that suggested they were "cruise ready" for $50-$75k less than that. Who was right? Was the broker just trying to get me to spend more? I now believe he was absolutely right. Maybe even a bit low. What say you?
Sitting here and sipping rum. I missed that. I'm piss poor at wry humor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:08   #27

Boat: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Disagree. He is a broker who lives off commission - I would also try and talk the prices up in his position. Presently, there are not many buyers - it is a buyers market and not a sellers. CASH IS KING.
You can see of boats actually selling for 70%, and sometimes less, of asking prices........there are plenty of good older cats around at $200k but be prepared to spend on standing and running rigging, sails, batteries and electronics. These boats often are stated to be cruise ready but with 10-15 year rigs, etc etc you take your chances. Invest in replacing the basics and you are good to go.
Where do you see "sold" data with prices???

PS: Currently have cash in hand and want cat #1 Privilege, #2 Leopard/Catana/Outremer, or #3 Lagoon. Critical Factor: Beam<25ft.

Thanks!
Jumping in with,
Both Feet
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:18   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Jim, please see your PM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothFeet View Post
Where do you see "sold" data with prices???

PS: Currently have cash in hand and want cat #1 Privilege, #2 Leopard/Catana/Outremer, or #3 Lagoon. Critical Factor: Beam<25ft.

Thanks!
Jumping in with,
Both Feet
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:19   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Sitting here sipping a little rum off St. John, reflecting back on all the fantastic cruisers I've met this past year and considering something that was said to me prior to the purchase of our boat. A prominent broker had said I wouldn't find a cruising catamaran, over 42ft, ready to go, for less than $300k. However, perusing through yachtworld.com there were many cats that suggested they were "cruise ready" for $50-$75k less than that. Who was right? Was the broker just trying to get me to spend more? I now believe he was absolutely right. Maybe even a bit low. What say you?
A bit like asking how long is a piece of string. Which piece of string?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:20   #30

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I can be quite definite, NO, you can't buy a cruise ready boat, any sort, anywhere, at any price, even if it's brand new and you had it custom built to your requirements. Before a boat is ready for a long voyage you need to have spent a full season working it up and getting to know it, and I guarantee you will make some changes and spend some money. Some people seem to try to do this preparation after delivering the boat to a foreign port and then, unsurprisingly, find they have made it more stressful and difficult. I would recommend you work the boat up from your home port where you know conditions and services. You can deliver anything that floats, even some that don't, if you have a big enough deck but that's not really 'cruise ready'
+1

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease