Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57   #31

Re: Telescopic masts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
My discussion was about righting moment in relation to capsize. Motion is a different issue. In that link I posted above John Shuttleworth details the 6 types of motion and they are rolling, pitching and hobbyhorsing, yawing, surfing, swaying, and heaving. And then there is the stability in wind formula which Valhalla is referring to. JS really discusses all of this in detail.
If you are just worried about righting moment, much simpler to reef the sails, rather than build a telescoping mast.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:36   #32
Cr8

Hi All!

Interesting topic, something I've also thought about. Wondering if there's been any more discussion on telescoping masts?

I can't seem to reach anyone at this company, but it sounds like they were considering testing TV truck antenna masts for their inflatable wing sails: Inflated Wing Sails | concept

Thoughts?

I read through this thread, seems the original topic went to the wayside...
Cr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:48   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I tried reaching out to these people too. They don’t appear to want to sell anything.

But I’m extremely interested in figuring out a good way to handle taking the mast down without a crane.

Mine had a forestay and two shrouds. One on each hull. 3 stays. Fractional rig. That’s how it is designed but I haven’t got a rig on yet. 60’ -64’ mast section, stepped on deck, about 6’ above the waterline so 66-70ft bridge clearance. Not ideal.

Would love to find a rig that I can lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8 View Post
Hi All!

Interesting topic, something I've also thought about. Wondering if there's been any more discussion on telescoping masts?

I can't seem to reach anyone at this company, but it sounds like they were considering testing TV truck antenna masts for their inflatable wing sails: Inflated Wing Sails | concept

Thoughts?

I read through this thread, seems the original topic went to the wayside...
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:32   #34

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The mast on my 11' Edey & Duff Columbia Dinghy is two sections, connected by a sliding coupling, w/ an angled joint.

The disassembly permits storage of both mast sections when not in use in a long bag, w/ the boom, having the sail wrapped around the boom. That sail rigging bag fits nicely into the dinghy for storage.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast