Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 01:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Tacho re-furb

Thought you might like to see my refurbished tacho covers on our Lagoon 380. The plates are polished stainless steel and are simple screwed over the old covers using the existing fixings.

At the same time, I wired in new hour clocks as the Yanmar ones only show the hours occasionally. The new clocks are inside the saloon to keep them out of the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280027.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	131123   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280030.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	131124  

Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 02:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Tacho re-furb

Nice!
Anyone fabricated new covers to replace old broken or missing ones? Any tips on how to do?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 02:59   #3

Hi Erikfinn

I have a fabrication shop in th UK so I measured, lasered and polished these at work.
Old 14-09-2016, 04:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywoods View Post
Hi Erikfinn

I have a fabrication shop in th UK so I measured, lasered and polished these at work.
Hi Haywoods,
I have thought about finding some matching pvc electrical connection boxes, or buying some suitable food containers or similar and fabricate the covers out of those.. Just not enough energy and dedication yet.. haha. I have a lathe in my boat but its not quite upto the level of a fabrication shop I suppose. . haha. Oh well, I'll keep thinking about this.. The most difficult one is a missing cover for the AP that has an outward extending rudder knob on it..
But for flat ones you gave me something to think about.. Thank you.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 05:26   #5

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywoods View Post
Thought you might like to see my refurbished tacho covers on our Lagoon 380. The plates are polished stainless steel and are simple screwed over the old covers using the existing fixings.

At the same time, I wired in new hour clocks as the Yanmar ones only show the hours occasionally. The new clocks are inside the saloon to keep them out of the weather.
Neat job, looks to be the same tachos as on my Lagoon 400 with the same problem the hours fail to display which is a pain as I always log the hours at start up and shutdown very difficult when the hours aren't there so I estimate as accurately as I can, on the odd occasion for no reason at all the hours start to display again so I make adjustments to my log book hours, real pain in the bottom. So would much appreciate a description on how you wired up your new hour clock and brand / type you used. I know this issue has been raise on other threads so I am sure others with the same problem would be pleased to read your solution. Thanks in advance.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:18   #6

Nice job but you need to countersink those screw heads.

I have found trophy making shops pretty good a cutting acrylic etc for replacement covers etc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:33   #7

Hi Peterp

If you undo the four screws on the tacho housing and pull it away from the body of the boat, you will see all the wires connecting the tacho.

On the lagoon 380, there is an orange wire - this is the one which drives the hours clock. Cut the orange wire and connect a new wire to this orange one with a block connector ( but dont disconnect it from the tacho )Run this to the +ve side of the new clock and run another wire from the -ve side of the new clock to a black earth wire - also behind the tacho casing.

In this way, the new clock works, but the old one will still come on sometimes as it already does.

Not sure what make the new clocks are as the previous owner left them for me when he sold up.

Hope this helps !!

Paul
Old 14-09-2016, 10:34   #8

Cheers John

I intend to change the screws for dome heads when I go back out to the boat.

Paul