Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2024, 02:28   #1

Swap your boat for my house in Oxford, UK for a couple of months

I am interested in swapping the use of our beautiful 4 bedroom house in the heart of historic Oxford, England for a boat (ideally a Catamaran, but open to a spacious monohull), anywhere from 6 weeks - 3 months for use by our small family. We would like something set up to sail short handed.

We have a beautiful 4 bedroomed house in the nicest most central part of Oxford, UK (also only an hour from London). It was built it 1820 but has been recently renovated to a very high standard. I would be looking to exchange this for a sailing boat around the Caribbean or somewhere else hot when England is cold, ideally between Jan- April! The exchange does not have to be simultaneous and we can be flexible as to when you’d like to visit.

I have experience chartering bare boat in both the Caribbean and Med and a RYA coastal.

If you want an extended holiday or mini sabbatical in one of the most famous and nicest bits of the UK to sightsee or to visit relations and friends, this could be the ideal opportunity.

Feel free to PM me if you might be interested. Please see photos below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink sofa.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	286948   Click image for larger version

Name:	from conservatory to garden.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	286949  

Name:	fireplace.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	286950   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookcase in front bedroom.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	286951  

Name:	other part of main bedroom.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	286952   Click image for larger version

Name:	garden from top.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	286953  

SasOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 00:31   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Swap your boat for my house in Oxford, UK for a couple of months

Good luck with this. You may find someone who'll take you up on this offer but, personally, as a boat owner I'd be wanting more like 3 months in a house for one month on a boat. The potential for wear and tear on a boat in the hands of a skipper unfamiliar with the boat is considerable. I did do this once with someone I knew but never again.

Having put a dampener on your hopes, I'll offer an alternative. Seabattical Long Term Charters a company setup to provide longer charters with a month usually costing not much more than a week or two with one of the standard charter companies. The boats are older of course but I believe well maintained. I don't have any relationship with them but I exchanged emails with the guy who setup the company as I was tempted to put my boat into his programme but eventually decided to sell instead.

Take a look, you'll probably have a better time doing it this way than spending the trip wondering what is happening in your beautiful home

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 01:10   #3
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

If you go down the long term charter you could Airbnb your house. Get an agency to do it for you. They will sort out booking, cleaning and any problems.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:38   #4

Thank you both for your suggestions. Will look into that website.
I'm also open to a smaller older boat - I love the Privilege 39! (If anyone has one to sell coming up, please also do let me know, ideally one that needs some cosmetic work!)
SasOxford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat