Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 08:47   #136

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

I like sailing vlogs as inspiration for my aspirations. As such, I'm interested in seeing how people cruise on a small budget and limited experience. La Vagabond never seemed to me to be what I consider to a small budget, but their appeal to me was they seemed to be learning as they went. That aspect was not well developed in their videos, but they did exude a relatable vibe that suggested that what they were doing was within reach of lots of other people, including me. However, I did stop watching their videos because they were teaching me nothing.

Now that they will be sailing an Outremer, they will be leaving the realm of what is possible for me. That is to say, they are no longer inspiring my aspiriations. There's no way that I will be able to afford a boat like that. There are lots of vlogs made by people more interesting than the very cute La Vagabonds, and for eye candy, I prefer looking at the woman I sleep with.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 08:55   #137

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Still, IT IS a bit unfair to act in two reality shows at once.

The other one got them a deal on a fully loaded Jeep.

;-)

b.
Reminds me of this video

https://youtu.be/M9bmvQFtOHk
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 09:43   #138
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
WOW, in my first thread, I threw a tiny bit of bait and caught a few whoppers.

Then I returned with the reasons for my preference of owning the boat i do and coped more. Then quoting John Glennie, presumably I have read a book, which I have not, but have read a magazine article sent by my friends mother to him with an over right letter with Johns account. John used to live at Broadwater on the northern NSW coast Aust. waterfront on the Richmond river just north of the township next door to the Brownhills, he was a friend of John Hitch, which might ring a bell with a cat sailer, whom I met in 1991 in the Pioneer river Mackay I owned a H28 then (Kimiri) and John had a really different looking Cat called Wired if my memory is correct it was 60ft and he only lived in one hull. I was talked out of building one of his designs "33ft Cat" and into the H28.

Should I stay out of the multihull section when I owned one for six years 2002-2009 (Arc of Infinity) Trimaran 33ft Ocean racer "Crowther" a super modified take of a twiggy.

I do not know how to say sorry to you and two others because my cruising preference is 100% Mono Strong with an easy to use rig.

If I owned a Cruising Cat I would not be embarrassed and attack people, I'd Just be Disappointed.

I can now feel the reel starting to hum.

Cheers and take it easy.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Why throw the bait? I'm sure you were well aware of what would happen if you did.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:09   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Why throw the bait? I'm sure you were well aware of what would happen if you did.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Some people just can't help but be contentious over the internet.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 12:41   #140

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Reminds me of this video

https://youtu.be/M9bmvQFtOHk
Yep.

Except this funny guy is actually blinking an eye while the other funny guys want us to believe.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 13:06   #141

It is sad that many cannot look at the success of others without comparing to their own successes or lack thereof. The world now seems to revolve around each of us. There is a negative perception when others do better than we do.

I hope they live a happy and rewarding life, and would not begrudge them for making a fortune doing what they love. After all, this is the dream of most.

And the notion that moving from a nice boat to a very nice boat is "selling out" is hilarious. The current La Vagabonde is much nicer than what I've got. Sadly, it is almost un-American for me not to hate them.

Anyway, I find them interesting and inspiring. They have done more with less and built a "business" and a life that is the envy of many - myself included. A success story that I am happy to follow!
Ruddy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 13:16   #142

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thank you Obi-Wan
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 13:29   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Humans are strange.
We all set out to achieve certain goals in life.

The guys done dun it.

Now the question is whether we approve or not.

Gotta laugh really. Im happy for them. Whether or not I watch the series or not is moot.. Im not a frequent watcher of their mono sailing but admire their being in the life.

I think most people would swap with them in a heartbeat.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 14:14   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
WOW, in my first thread, I threw a tiny bit of bait and caught a few whoppers.

Then I returned with the reasons for my preference of owning the boat i do and coped more. Then quoting John Glennie,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
Nope, you "caught" nothing. Although it's good you admit you were trolling...

And your boat is of no interest. This thread isn't about your boat. There's no reason anyone reading this thread would give a rat's arse about your boat.

And you didn't quote John Glennie. You supposedly quoted someone you claim knew him.

Oh, and calling people's boats "rafts with sails" and "eyesores" (that's how you spell it BTW) then whining about name calling is pathetic.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 14:47   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddy Duck View Post
It is sad that many cannot look at the success of others without comparing to their own successes or lack thereof. The world now seems to revolve around each of us. There is a negative perception when others do better than we do.

I hope they live a happy and rewarding life, and would not begrudge them for making a fortune doing what they love. After all, this is the dream of most.

And the notion that moving from a nice boat to a very nice boat is "selling out" is hilarious. The current La Vagabonde is much nicer than what I've got. Sadly, it is almost un-American for me not to hate them.

Anyway, I find them interesting and inspiring. They have done more with less and built a "business" and a life that is the envy of many - myself included. A success story that I am happy to follow!
To me it's sad that people cannot express their opinions without the PC thought control police coming down on them. I doubt that anybody begrudges La Vagabonds their success, which they do deserve in a world that values appearance over substance, and most would likely follow in their footsteps if we could.

They seem like good people and their success seems to be honestly achieved. That doesn't mean that we have to like looking at their videos, which have always been narcissistic. And why wouldn't the vids come off as narcissistic; they were originally conceived as a personal record of their big adventure. Good for them that other people found their videos entertaining enough to pay them to sail around the world and make fluffy selfies!
Old 22-09-2016, 14:54   #146

Boat: LAGOON 400

i think now monhulls sales will rocket thru the roof. Everyone will buy mono, do a show, and hope to upscale to cat for free.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 15:22   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i think now monhulls sales will rocket thru the roof. Everyone will buy mono, do a show, and hope to upscale to cat for free.
It works only if there's a skinny young woman with a killer smile.
Old 22-09-2016, 15:29   #148

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
It works only if there's a skinny young woman with a killer smile.
i am sure doctors with couple of cosmetic chirurgies, etc will convince every woman that they become skinny young woman with a killer smile look.

its all about selling dreams.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 16:36   #149

Quote:
its all about selling dreams.
It's also about SEX APPEAL....

Same with Delos.....

Without it, their videos would be nowhere.

They got it, they flaunt it, they make money...lots of it.
Old 22-09-2016, 17:14   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Now that they will be sailing an Outremer, they will be leaving the realm of what is possible for me. That is to say, they are no longer inspiring my aspiriations. There's no way that I will be able to afford a boat like that. There are lots of vlogs made by people more interesting than the very cute La Vagabonds, and for eye candy, I prefer looking at the woman I sleep with.
They are young, fit and good looking which means from day one that they were never in then realm of what was possible for me, but I still followed them from early on (before they made it to Gibraltar, I think)..

Unless they change the way they do their videos, i.e. turn them into blatant advertising for Outremer or start living a million dollar cruising lifestyle, then I will continue to follow them.

To drop them just because they upgraded to a Cat or because their new ride is out of my price range, would be a sad case of envy on my part.

I'm above petty jealousy.

Now if they had struck a deal with Wally, I would be still watching and be very jealous and I'd even be wanting Elana to get out of the way on the videos (<-- for Wally's)