Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 02:22   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote from an earlier post; ".......since we all know 50 knots and all catamarans suddenly spontaneously pitch pole."

Well.... that statement is certainly well founded.
We all also know that Santa Clause recently chaired a convention in Disney World which was attended by other luminaries that included the Easter Bunny, Batman, the Jolly Green Giant, the Tokoloshe (the real one) and the Bogey Man to ensure that all fairy tales are immediately re-catogorised as 'facts' known by all people.
I know all this is totaly true as I read it, some where, I think, or maybe it was just a dream?
Anyway, lets not ruin a good story with facts.
Who needs real knowledge or experience to know this?

Meanwhile, good wishes to the guys on LV; they deserve to benefit from what they have done.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:26   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:38   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To be fair, CruisingCat, the poster did have a point. Cats do make good party boats and can also park in skinny water!
What they 'forgot' to mention are the numerous other attributes, but that is hard to do unless you have actual experience rather than just readings.
Like your thought process, though.
It is sometimes amusing the level of ignorance often displayed about cats. I usually wonder about the real level of experience of these cat detractors. The majority of my half-a-boat friends will jest about a how a cat does this or that but its not meant to be taken seriously as most of them would swop over to a cat at the drop of a hat (admitedly a couple of them wouldn't).
The anti-cat brigade comments that are really negative are usually by individuals who actual knowledge comes from reading and perhaps a few minutes aboard a boat at a boat show; thereafter they are self perceived experts.
I still love mono-hulls as well - its just that cats fit my needs best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Whereas mono's make good dive sites.
Old 21-09-2016, 02:42   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Enjoyed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Old 21-09-2016, 02:57   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

It was the 2nd song I played in the school band in '72
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:48   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Good on them.. personally I don't follow any Vlogs apart from a look at the odd ones that pop up on here from time to time.. some are purely sensational to try and pull more views (I believe one earns from YouTube as well) like the so called 'Panama Pirate Encounter' Kenomac posted..
A fishing boat likely just offering fresh fish for sale being turned into a 'Close Encounter of the Pirate Myth' to make a boring event exciting.. fuels fears and leads to future bad relations between cruisers and locals.. the guy could not even look the camera in the eye it was so obviously ********..
Its a way to turn a buck to keep one sailing but keep it real folks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:59   #97
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
There is a boat in the yard were we haul out, who sailing single handed run into a reef in the Tuamotu's at 6-7kts and had to be pulled off, with out any repairs made to the 6mm steel plate he has sailed back to Australia with no leaks, my boat is the same design and same size plating, with no lazarette or cockpit lockers, 6" bronze ports and 1 3/8" solid hatches with super sized over done lock downs and they do not leak my fist boat of four boats that is completely dry other than the smallest weep at the fore mast.

If we were both sailing together in higher latitudes than the last 50' cat that flipped off of New Zealand I would probably have no masts for the dingy to tether too, and would have to go to a jury rig but the Lagoon would have grown a large keel.

Sorry I'll stick with me slug at least for my kids sake, they feel safe with her and were terrified with my light weight Tri, which was far more dangerous than a Lagoon though. They also like me think the junk rig is for us when we were hit with a 45kt squall here is BrisVegas a month ago running down wind, just let the halyard down to take out 4 panels and reset the sheetlets in 30 seconds while the boats that had slowly past us all wrapped up with flogging sails, we zipped past them and watched them come into port from our mooring most of them on the headsails only. (I must admit this rarely happens).

Each to their own.

Keep on Sailing.

A thick plated heavy steel boat, she will be quite the performer. Guaranteed she will make it to the bottom in record time when she sinks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 04:20   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are so right. We experienced exactly that in GoA many years ago. Fast skiff, guys wearing balaclavas armed with Kalishnikovs.
Turned out to be youths wearing balaclavas against the sun, the AK's were telescopic fishing rods and they were just trying to sell us fish and looking to scrounge a few cans of Coke. All very innocent, but boy, did we ever see our fears and how real they quickly became from a distance. Thank goodness we didnt take offensive action against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Good on them.. personally I don't follow any Vlogs apart from a look at the odd ones that pop up on here from time to time.. some are purely sensational to try and pull more views (I believe one earns from YouTube as well) like the so called 'Panama Pirate Encounter' Kenomac posted..
A fishing boat likely just offering fresh fish for sale being turned into a 'Close Encounter of the Pirate Myth' to make a boring event exciting.. fuels fears and leads to future bad relations between cruisers and locals.. the guy could not even look the camera in the eye it was so obviously ********..
Its a way to turn a buck to keep one sailing but keep it real folks..
Old 21-09-2016, 05:11   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
You are so right. We experienced exactly that in GoA many years ago. Fast skiff, guys wearing balaclavas armed with Kalishnikovs.
Turned out to be youths wearing balaclavas against the sun, the AK's were telescopic fishing rods and they were just trying to sell us fish and looking to scrounge a few cans of Coke. All very innocent, but boy, did we ever see our fears and how real they quickly became from a distance. Thank goodness we didnt take offensive action against them.
Yeah.. 200 odd miles past the Galapagos Islands heading for the Marquesas we came across lone open skiffs tending drift nets.. 1st offered fish for beer.. 2nd a few miles on offered fish for smokes.. don't eat fish but I let them have some beers and smokes.. its a tough life. They were Ecuadorian dropped of by the mother ship.. had a few nice swordfish.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 05:15   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its amazing how tough life is for many people. We do try to add a few comforts to them from time to time. Thanks for the share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeah.. 200 odd miles past the Galapagos Islands heading for the Marquesas we came across lone open skiffs tending drift nets.. 1st offered fish for beer.. 2nd a few miles on offered fish for smokes.. don't eat fish but I let them have some beers and smokes.. its a tough life. They were Ecuadorian dropped of by the mother ship.. had a few nice swordfish.
Old 21-09-2016, 05:55   #101

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
I can't understand that part either, especially when you can still watch the videos without paying.

I prefer, and do, give small amounts to those out there that have just a few viewers.
Agreed! +1

Most don't think about it this way but every time you go to West or Walmart, you're funding someone's very, very rich lifestyle! So what if you are buying a thru hull or an entertaining show? Ya make your money and Ya spend your money the way Ya want.

The big difference is Wally World and West are so over the top rich they don't have to put out videos! Well, except those darn 15 & 30 second commercials, which we all watch..
Old 21-09-2016, 09:05   #102
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Eriksson View Post
I'm not sure I agree that SLV has been living on a shoestring.

They recently bought a new watermaker, and what looked like a fairly comprehensive suite of new B&G Electronics. La Vagabonde is a $100k boat.

Maybe our definitions of shoestring are different. Doesn't detract from my admiration and jealousy of them though, especially now when they are moving aboard a very desirable boat indeed!
Well, as they have gone along they have started making significant gains through Patreon.

But until now they are in a used, non-monster monohull, that is in the realm of "attainable".

But young couple and big, new, $1M cat, takes them out of the reality TV category for me.

It makes their adventures now less relevant for us, 32' boat worth around $25K, and of course, always looking at other boats that are in the realm of attainable.

Unless I have a very rich elderly uncle with no kids I don't know about, we will never likely have access to a $1M boat to go cruising on. If I can't picture myself in the same boat (har, har,) it is simply less relevant to me.

It's not that I'm jealous, I couldn't be happier for them, it just has less to do with our lives than it did.

White Spot Pirates, Shaun and Julia, and Sailing UMA, (and until recently Sailing Baby Blue and Wicked Salty), are quite relevant.

As for the Shards, when they moved up to the new 42' and then 47', there videos seemed to become a little more "vessel commercial" than what was previously almost purely cruising documentary and about how "they" made the boat what it was.

I suspect LV will now draw attention to the new vessel's many features and benefits, in pretty much every episode, making the series more about the boat than the couple and their cruising adventure.

Will we still watch LV with the same enthusiasm?

Time will tell.

What they may lose in audience like us, may be less than what they gain, and then the move will be very successful for them.

If it goes the other way, they still get to do it on a beautiful boat, for as long as it lasts, so they still win.

Great move on their part, just may not be of as much interest to us.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:24   #103

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
$6000 per video after fees lets say. 50 videos a year, that's a yearly income of $300,000. Wow. So that's how they can afford a new Outremer.

It's interesting to me how some people choose to fund someone else's rich and care free lifestyle.

I doubt most of their viewers make $300,000 a year, so for many it's likely a donation to people who are much better off than themselves!

Amazing. Brilliant really.

I personally find their videos vapid and narcissistic, and can't bear to watch them, but I admire their marketing skills.
Sigh. If you have ever worked for someone, or purchased a product, you likely enriched someone with more money than yourself.

These folks are selling an entertainment product (youtube videos) and the price is awesome - pay what you want including zero. It really is that simple.
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:47   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
It makes their adventures now less relevant for us, 32' boat worth around $25K, and of course, always looking at other boats that are in the realm of attainable.
I can see why you'd think this...realm of attainable?

Riley was a welder on an oil rig, and Elayna worked odd jobs and played music for a travel company when they met.

They found success through hard work and self education. This "million dollar boat" (which is isn't) isn't something that fell into their laps, they made it happen. Even after their channel blew up. They networked, hustled, got in contract with the right people...and put together a sales pitch and a deal.

Sure, you're watching people live a cruising lifestyle, but you're also watching young entrepreneurs climb their way into success.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:02   #105

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Isn't Riley on these forums?

I remember one of the episodes he talks about not knowing anything about sailing and researching via forums. I thought this one was mentioned.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote