Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2019, 09:45   #1

Suggestions for next charter destination?

I have bareboat chartered in BVI's three times, San Diego and Belize once. I still feel like I am a bit of a newbie but looking for a new location to charter from. Any suggestions for a location that is not too advanced or should I join a flotilla? Just looking at the next step to gain experience, confidence and have a great vacation. I have ASA Certifications 104, 114 and am relatively adventurous. I'm only interested in Catamaran charter. Thanks
drguymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:16   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Suggestions for next charter destination?

What characteristics are you looking for in a charter destination? The BVI and Belize are somewhat oppossite ends of the spectrum. Something in between?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What characteristics are you looking for in a charter destination? The BVI and Belize are somewhat oppossite ends of the spectrum. Something in between?
If you think BVI and Belize are at opposite ends of the spectrum, where would that put Lake Superior? On a completely different chart?

Chat Eau – 38’ Lagoon
Minnesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:39   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Consider Thailand charter from Phuket
https://www.phuket-yachts.com/en-bar...ht-charter.htm
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 11:27   #5

Continued/Revised:

What characteristics are you looking for in a charter destination? The BVI and Belize, Caribbean similarities aside, are somewhat oppossite ends of the spectrum in many other ways. Something in between?

Some thoughts: To me, much of the Eastern Carib is very similar between islands, not entirely homogenous, but a lot of similar islands/cultures. The W Carib only has one country with bareboat charters and that's Belize. The SW Carib has none, though there are some fully crewed charters. One thought that comes to mind is the Pacific NW, its way different than either the W or E Carib and presents challenges you wont find in either...like big tidal variances. New England is also very different with similar challenges to the PNW.
Old 13-08-2019, 11:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
If you think BVI and Belize are at opposite ends of the spectrum, where would that put Lake Superior? On a completely different chart?

Chat Eau – 38’ Lagoon
Yes, very different than either BVI or Belize. Ive done some sailing on the Great Lakes, lots of quaint places to stop.

Belize and BVI are near polar oppossites in terms of navigation, development, and density of charter boats. BVI is line of sight nav (hey look, lets go there!) with few hazards to nav and those are marked/charted. Belize has nearly infinite hazards to navigation, very few are marked, and many are inaccurately charted if at all. BVI has crowded anchorages with beach bars at every popular stop. Belize has only a few developed locations and dozens of uninhabited islands. BVI has moorings at every popular stop, Belize has almost none. BVI has bazillions of charter boats, Belize has one bareboat fleet (Moorings/Sunsail) and once away from a few popular spots you can spend weeks out on the reef or atolls and never see another charter/cruising boat.

Others here have much more Great Lakes experience than me and can chime in w more detail.
Old 13-08-2019, 11:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

"Not Included: Bed linens..."

Wow, at those rates you gotta bring your own sheets? Thats unusual.
Old 13-08-2019, 13:04   #8

To clarify a bit more, I lean towards beaches and warm weather sailing. Other Carribean suggestions would be preferred. Looking for a relatively beginner/easy sailing experience, from moorings to conditions ect. Prefer less crowded than BVIs. I will only have 7 days on the boat. Hope that helps.
drguymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 15:10   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

After the BVI Grenadines are a good next step. Next choice would be Antigua.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 15:37   #10

Quote:

It's often kind of cold. We've always brought sleeping bags.
Minnesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 20:55   #11

Boat: Outremer 55L

Tonga - relatively compact sailing area, tens of islands with beaches and warm snorkeling water, protected by a fringe reef so no swells, very friendly locals, amazing sea caves and caverns, humpback whales and calves in season (now until October), not very busy, local Moorings has catamarans. Much further to fly for you though than the Caribbean.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 04:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Lake Superior’s Apostle Islands are kind of like the Caribbean of the North.
For a real fresh water wilderness sailing experience, visit anywhere on Canada’s North shore.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 05:42   #13

Another thought, if you enjoyed Belize you could try a Belize to Rio Dulce Guatemala charter. This is one of my favorite charter routes to run for guests because of the dramatic contrast between Belize & Guatemala. They are different in almost every way: culturally and geologically. Spend a few days working your way S down the reef in Belize to the beautiful Sapodilla Cayes at the very southern tip of the reef, then jump to Livingston and transit the jungle frindged canyon (El Cañon) into the Rio Dulce. Ive been through the canyon hundreds of times and it still amazes me.

Moorings/Sunsail used to allow this itenirary, not sure if they still do. Belize Sailing Vacations also runs trips to/from the Rio (fully crewed only). Either way a one-way trip is best to maximize your time and not have to slog back up to Belize against prevailing wind & current.
Old 14-08-2019, 06:15   #14

All good suggestions above. I also suggest the the Bahama Exuma Cays. Plenty of charter boats are available out of Nassau, which is easy to fly into. Some charter boats are located on the southeast end of the island, so you can avoid Nassau harbor. The Abacos are another option.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 06:22   #15

Quote:

Those rates might explain why the boat is available next week and most of the next month.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, destination