Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 05:51   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Suggestions between 2 cat options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
As a comparison we were in our 32ft cat our friends behind /next to us in a 42 Hunter, we had 20+ knots of wind behind us for the entire 72 mile hop. While they rolled, pitched, corkscrewed all over, we had a nice pleasant enjoyable sail. At the end we went out to eat and went swimming, they went to bed, so wore out they didnt leave the boat the next day. Having a heavy 50ft cruiser behind as we came Into Portugal, we watched them for 24 hours roll all over the place, I was glad to be in a cat even with its shorter waterline length.
Nothing wrong with a short cat, some of them are a blast to sail, and still more comfy at anchor then a much larger mono..
I agree. On the hook, the relative absence of rolling in even a short cat makes it a better experience than a monohull. Shorter cats do have a tendency to hobby horse underway more than longer ones- but the same could be said for monohulls, where longer hulls span more wave crests and so dampen their vertical effects.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 08:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

One more question about the Maldives: i've been talking with a broker and he informed that the height in the main salon is 1,70cm under the popup roof when closed and getting lower in the seating area, but he couldn't inform about height in the hulls, anybody has this information?
Cheers.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 02:10   #18

Boat: Mahe 36

I'm 6ft and didn't feel cramped.cant remember if it was full standing but think it was
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 02:30   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I am 6ft 1" and had no problems in the hulls and we had the baot for 10 years spending 5-6 weeks aboard every year. In the main saloon/galley headroom is lower, lowest at the table seating, but you are sitting down there and just a bit too low for me at the galley with the pop top down, fine for my 5'3" wife. Too solve that problem and allow me to cook in comfort, we bought a cheap plastic stool and I cooked sitting down. Stowed the stool under the aft end of the table.
Strangely in about 6000 miles of sailing the English Channel and west coast of France the stool never moved, but we got through a few kettles which would shoot off the stove when the boat decelerated during fast sailing. Should have used the fiddles I suppose!
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:28   #20
Marine Service Provider

Thanx guys, i think that height won't be a problem. Can't wait to see the boat this weekend.
Old 31-12-2018, 07:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hi folks, just a quick update.
Saw the Maldives in Italy an i am very happy about what i saw and even height, that was my main reason to be worried, it's not really a problem.
Will see another Maldives next week and finally decide wich on I'll get.
Happy new year to all readers.
Cheers
Old 08-03-2019, 12:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Hello. For the record, since last week i am owner of a FP Maldives......so happy
Old 08-03-2019, 13:18   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Concratulations!

Have fun with your Boat.

Post some pics pls....
Old 08-03-2019, 13:26   #24

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Congratulations!
Enjoy your fast sailing cat.
Where will you sailing once the sailing season begins?
Good luck and fair winds!
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 15:53   #25

Boat: Mahe 36

congrats, enjoy
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 22:30   #26
Marine Service Provider

Thanx guys!
I will be sailing in the mediterranean, initially 80% Greece.
Will post a few pics later.
Old 29-05-2019, 09:29   #27

Boat: looking for next boat

Hi all.
Im on the hunt for a good Maldives as well, can anyone tell me what to look out for when viewing?

Thanks
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 11:39   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball View Post
Hi all.
Im on the hunt for a good Maldives as well, can anyone tell me what to look out for when viewing?

Thanks
Hi.
As premise i would suggest you as usual to get a surveyor unless you really know what you are doing.
That said, the Maldives is a very strongly built boat and very light so structural problems should be quite unlikely. There are a few points that normally suffer some stress cracks but are normal and don't affect the integrity of the vessel, one is the sides of the steps getting into the hulls and another is the lower side of the entrance (both sides).
Outboard engine, simple elctrics and plumbing make eventual fixes quite easy and cheap so overall i would not worry too much since everything is in good conditions.
Good luck.
Old 29-05-2019, 14:44   #29

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Structurally, apart from slight stress cracking around the steps and in the wells of the doorways, the only other issue is that the hull at the aft end of the starboard keel (in line with the aft end of the navigation desk) flexes noticeably when taking the ground (the floorboards rock). Not an issue, ours put up with it for 10 years 2 times a day without damage, but easily fixed by overlaminating the area inside the hull and under the floorboards.
The most expensive problem is if the head lining/side lining glue has failed and glue bleed through. Its a big job to replace and you need to be skilled to make a good job of it.
The big wrap round saloon windows if they need replacing from crazing, cracking or uv damage (which they will after about 10 years) is a moderately big and expensive job.
The rudders can let in water and cause corrosion of the integral aluminium rudder stocks. The bearings also can wear, they are plain cylindrical delron sleeves over the aluminium stocks, bit of a bother to remove.
The standing rigging wires are pretty massive and hence more expensive to replace than your average 32ft mono.
Water tank is flexible bag with a finite life.

If the mainsail has not got roller/ball bearing batten cars/track you should budget to make it so.
Amiot deck gear (main sheet traveller and jib cars) is not great, breaks and sticks. If not already replaced/renovated budget to do so.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 00:47   #30

Boat: looking for next boat

Thanks for your input. One other question, at 32ft great for coastal sailing and a cross channel trip, but would you consider a downwind crossing in one? is bridge-deck clearance much of an issue?

thanks
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote