Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2020, 18:35   #1

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45
St. Francis 50

While Iím not normally an instigator, things have been to civil around this forum lately so let me bring out a big ol pot with a big ol paddle and stir it up!!

This may draw the ire of many since the seller of Suliere is a member here, but at the same time we are often agast by certain asking prices of cats and so I want to call this out- Suliere is smokiní some of the good stuff in thinking his boat, a 10 year old St. Francis mk I that has some serious mileage on it should be worth just 10% less than a new St. Francis 50 mk II brand new! I donít care if his mk I has got a heap load of improvements over the original- the manufacturer has also made improvements over the last 10 years, items that a mark I could never achieve because the new features are changes to the structure. Towards this, do you think $895k for a 2010 St. Francis is reasonable when a new St. Francis with full electronics, radar, generator and AC, 1300w of solar, water maker, spinnaker, electric winches all around, dual anchors, life raft, electric heads, the list goes on, can be purchased for $1m?

Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 19:19   #2

Re: St. Francis 50

Sulliere and its travails has been very entertaining to us . that's worth a lot.

geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 19:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
While Iím not normally an instigator, things have been to civil around this forum lately so let me bring out a big ol pot with a big ol paddle and stir it up!!

This may draw the ire of many since the seller of Suliere is a member here, but at the same time we are often agast by certain asking prices of cats and so I want to call this out- Suliere is smokiní some of the good stuff in thinking his boat, a 10 year old St. Francis mk I that has some serious mileage on it should be worth just 10% less than a new St. Francis 50 mk II brand new! I donít care if his mk I has got a heap load of improvements over the original- the manufacturer has also made improvements over the last 10 years, items that a mark I could never achieve because the new features are changes to the structure. Towards this, do you think $895k for a 2010 St. Francis is reasonable when a new St. Francis with full electronics, radar, generator and AC, 1300w of solar, water maker, spinnaker, electric winches all around, dual anchors, life raft, electric heads, the list goes on, can be purchased for $1m?
There's a 2019 St Francis for sale asking 1 million on YW. Personally, I would look at that one first.

Does anybody know if Wayfinder is still for sale?
Old 29-04-2020, 19:52   #4

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Fair enough. Worth “a lot” is variable, though.

I like watching La Vagabonde and was a patreon of theirs for awhile. Would it be worth me paying a $250k-$300k premium to buy their boat because they are entertaining? Na, not for me anyway.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 19:54   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

No nothing about the situation but if the guy wants to ask twice the price of a new one that is entirely his business. Not likely to find a buyer at that price of course but that is an entirely different matter.
Old 29-04-2020, 19:58   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

If you can't afford it, move on. Trying to shame someone's asking price on a forum for which he is a member, well shame on you. Find another boat.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 20:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Does anybody know if Wayfinder is still for sale?
Wayfinder is sold
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 20:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post

If you dont think its worth it - dont buy it. I take it you are interested in a St Francis 50? If you are not interested then your opinion is irrelevant.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:28   #9

My problem with Suliere is not the asking price, nor the boat itself. Each owner has the right to ask what they want.

But having watched the owner and his public disagreements with boat builders over the years, I would be hesitant to enter into a negotiation with him.

rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote