Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 08:03   #1

South East Florida - Boat Browsing feedback

My wife and I (mostly myself ) are getting more interested in buying a preowned cat for the family. We wanted to make a little trip to south florida to get a hands-on feel for the different preowned options. We would carve out a 36 hour period for dedicated touching and feeling (and smelling) different layouts. I have done an embarrassing amount of online research but its time get a true feel for the different models (and not be rushed). I say this last part because I visited an FP Salina 48 but only had a 30 min window to look through... hardly a proper evaluation. We have bareboat chartered a number of monos, Lagoon 450S, 450F and 400S2 owners version.

Anyhow, I can go about this a couple different ways.

1) a little background, I buy and sell aircraft for a living - very familiar with this type sales process, and comfortable without a true buyer's rep - tho if I go this way I would need to arrange all my own viewings which would be an undertaking - or to keep it simple do I call all the usual suspects of large broker shops and arrange viewings of the boats they have on their "catamaran rows"? But then I miss out on boats that are for sale by owner or at smaller broker shops...

or

2) do I call a true broker that will keep MY best interests in mind to set this all up? I have read all over the internet and youtube this is hard to come by. If I call a large sales broker we all know they will be incentivized to push their listings and not show a competitor's listing.

Share thoughts on above AND if you know of a buyers rep/broker who is not affiliated with a large sales broker who WILL keep MY best interests in mind. Would love to hear from your experience.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Coy
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:27   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: South East Florida - Boat Browsing feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCs View Post
SNIP

We would carve out a 36 hour period for dedicated touching and feeling (and smelling) different layouts.

SNIP
I spent close to 36 weeks looking at different boats before I settled on my Seawind. The boats were in three different states and a dozen cities.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:43   #3

Re: South East Florida - Boat Browsing feedback

I would not limit yourself to one broker. He has other things to do to be tied up for too long. Let the listing broker show you each boat. make a list and a travel route. It's hard to see a lot in 1-2 days. Especially with the heat.

I don't really believe in a buyer's broker unless you are a totally naive newbie.

Keep your eyes open when going to see a boat, you may see others nearby on the docks you can return to investigate!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida