Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 16:10   #1

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Solaris vs PDQ

What's available in my neck of the woods is a 36' Solaris Sunstar and a 32 PDQ. Both are between 10 and 20 years old. The hull shape looks similar on both designs, but bridgedeck clearance looks better on the PDQ. Is the Solaris a much more solidly constructed boat in comparison with the PDQ, or will both hold their own in potentially rough seas?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 06:32   #2

Boat: PDQ32
The quality of the PDQ boats is very high - they are solid, well designed boats. You can gets lots of info at www.pdq36.com
Old 16-06-2009, 07:13   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
The Solaris Sunstar 36 was built to Lloyd's offshore specs from a design by Eric Lerouge (very similar to the Manta ) and should prove to be a capable offshore vessel. Although the bridgedeck clearance may be a bit less, the Lerouge 'shape' for the bridgedeck aids immensely in reducing the actual underbody impact. Having said that, you should obviously sail both and make your own determination.

One notable difference is that the Solaris has standing headroom in the saloon whereas the PDQ 32 requires one to open the large companionway sliding hatch for the same. I quite like the setup on the PDQ although I must say, I think it would be a bit of a nuisance for longer offshore passages/liveaboard purposes during inclement weather.

The Solaris will likely have inboard diesels as apposed to outboard motors, and you can make your own determination as to which you would prefer for a cruising cat.
One knock on the Solaris is the extensive use of glued on vinyl headliners/carpeting which will likely need to be replaced.

Which would I prefer for offshore sailing? All else being equal (condition, inventory etc.), I would prefer the Solaris over the PDQ 32. However, as a nearshore/Bahamas cruiser, the PDQ 32 would be an excellent choice.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 14:41   #4

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
The PDQ is an excelent cruising cat for the Caribbean and Island hopping.
Check out www.justcatamarans.net and look at the listed PDQ 36. This is a great deal.

Peter
S/V Kokomo
Quasar 50
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 22:02   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
What's available in my neck of the woods is a 36' Solaris Sunstar and a 32 PDQ. Both are between 10 and 20 years old. The hull shape looks similar on both designs, but bridgedeck clearance looks better on the PDQ. Is the Solaris a much more solidly constructed boat in comparison with the PDQ, or will both hold their own in potentially rough seas?
look carefully at the bridgedeck clearance of the Solaris Sunrise , I have seen them actually IN the water !slap, slap , slap ... The Sunstar is much higher mine is 650mm. gramos
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 05:04   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Gramos, you are absolutely correct - I was confusing the Lerouge designed Sunstar (your boat) with the Sunsrise. I would absolutely prefer the PDQ 32 to a Solaris Sunrise 36.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdq