Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2006, 13:15   #1

Solaris?

Does anyone know anything about these boats?
We too are interested in a circumnavigating cat, and have followed the recent threads with great interest.
A Solaris, which I had never heard of before, has recently come available in our neighbourhood. I can find little out about them.

thanks,
liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 15:10   #2

Boat: 1990 Morgan 41 Classic
Hi Liz:

I don't know anything about the Solaris but you might want to read this post and contact the author. Good luck with your search:

http://cruisenews.net/cgi-bin/docksi...ames/read/1335

Re: Solaris Cat good for deep ocean?
Posted By: Peter Lancaster <lancaster44@hotmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 8 July 2004, at 2:34 p.m.

In Response To: Solaris Cat good for deep ocean? (Charles McDonald)
Charles,
Having skippered a 42, 'Cloud Nine' as a charter yacht for six years covering about 6,000 miles per season, I would consider the 42 as totally unsuitable for anything other than a motor sailing housboat. She is far to heavy to sail effectivly. The lack of clearance of the bridge deck causes dreadful pounding, making any attempt to sail to windward impossible. Windward sailing has to done with at least one engine running anyway. The main cross beam is also likely to be distorting under the huge loads imposed because of it's inability to 'get going'.
The chain plates are of untreated mild steel and rust through at the hull junction where glass fiber covers the fish tail ends. This is not easily visable.
The vessels were built to Lloyds spec and massivly overbuilt. This took them well down on their lines. With both engines running flat out 7knots is top wack. Force 8 following wind, with all up will give 9knots if you're lucky. All in all forget it. I bought mine for &#163;10,000 and sold last September.
Best wishes,

Peter Lancaster
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 12:13   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I doubt it is the same Solaris, but I researched a Solaris cat in the late 60s or early 70s. They had a very low underwing, on purpose, supposedly to act more like a tri or mono in certain conditions. It was Italian, I belive. Am fairly sure they haven't been made for some time.

Try Google.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26   #4

Thanks for the replies.
The Solaris we've seen is British made. Kanter has a brief review of them, says they are sound blue water cruisers, but other than that the only mention I can find is the one laser posted. Doesn't make it sound too appealing <g>

liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39   #5

Strangely, by coincidence, I went on a Solaris that is for sale just yesterday. I am not familiar with them, but Multihull World (http://www.multihullworld.com/) have a couple for sale, and you can download some descriptions. Mike and Mark there are pretty helpful and would probably be able to offer some advice.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:07   #6

What model solaris?

I have a solaris 34ft. here in the U.S. it was sold as a Sundancer 34 sport cruiser. I think in England it was sold as a Lima 34. I think Solaris is now out of business, but I would very interested in hearing from other owners of this particular line of cats. I am not sure I would try a circumnavigation in the particular model but as for a trip to the Bahamas or Carribbean from the east coast of the U.S. I think it would be an excellent boat.

Thanks
JohnE
seawind24 is offline   Reply With Quote